• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Important Game for Greg Gregory?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

It is still early in the season and in his tenure at OC, but I see this game being pretty important for Gregory.  People starting jumping on Rod Smith pretty early in his career here.  With our poor offensive showing the last 2 years, I think it's important for him to get off to a good start.  Even in a loss he needs to call a good game.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,320
  • Days Won:  10

Not sure I would generalize our offensive showing in the last 2 years as poor.  It was inconsistent.  The Amarri reverses and passes worked pretty darn well sometimes.  Although I really liked PJ, sometimes it was execution, not playcalling.  We have never really had depth, and that can hurt the offensive playcalling also.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Yeah.......I definitely was not the world's most devoted Rod Smith fan, but in all fairness, the likes of Steve Spurrier, Bill Walsh, and Bobby Petrino would have been under fire too if they were calling plays run by an offense with Pat Julmiste at the helm.

A QB like that ties your hands.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I agree he didn't have the best talent to work with at all positions, but we still had Grothe last year and Andre Hall the year before.  it wasn't all on Julmiste.  Whatever the reasons, we were still held to 13 points or less 8 times in the last 2 years.  With the exception of a couple of games over that time period we had mediocre to poor play calling and Rod Smith was outcoached a lot of times.

I actually liked him and thought he was beginning to learn how to coach.  he still needed more experience and he needed to learn that you don't always have to have trick plays to win.  Sometimes you can just be better than the other team and just outplay them.

That's what I want to see from Gregory.  I want to see the ability to control a game.  I think he has the horses now at all skill positions.  The line's depth may be questionable.

Archived