• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ben Moffitt breaks down Auburn.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

9j0da33o.jpg

Senior linebacker Ben Moffitt has played a major role of some of the most memorable games in USF history.

During the Bulls' stunning 45-14 victory over then-ranked No. 9 Louisville, Moffitt had 14 tackles, one sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery, earning National Player of the Week.

Since being entrenched at middle linebacker in 2004, Moffitt played before more than 99,000 fans at Beaver Stadium when the Bulls battled Penn State, and led USF with 12 tackles against the Miami Hurricanes in the Orange Bowl.

Last season, when the Bulls upset then-ranked No. 7 West Virginia, Moffitt's seven

tackles and recovered fumble helped lead USF to victory in Morgantown.

But as the Bulls face the No. 17 Auburn Tigers, perhaps no contest in USF history has more of an impact.

If USF is able to pull off the upset, the Bulls will likely be ranked for the first time in the team's 11-year history.

Here are a few of Moffitt's thoughts entering Saturday's contest:

On the significance of playing Auburn:

http://www.usforacle.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=580cd418-c080-46f3-9ac3-06ed2c608424

"It's a very huge game. We've never beaten a (Southeastern Conference) team. It's a pretty awesome opportunity to play an SEC team. They've been around forever. Just the history of Auburn football, it's a great opportunity to play a game like this. I'm really excited to play."

On the significance if USF wins:

"If you win then that's definitely going to be a huge memory and it won't be something you'll ever forget. Definitely, I want to tell my grandkids one day that I got to play in that stadium and do things like that. It'd be awesome. They're definitely a hard-nosed football team with big guys up front, and they like to push you and run the ball right at you. They play smash-mouth football and I love that. I love having challenges, and our first goal is always to stop the run. They're a very good football team."

On the biggest road games he's played:

"Beaver Stadium was pretty awesome because of the tradition that Penn State has. South Carolina was a great place to play. North Carolina, Chapel Hill, was a great campus. But Penn State was the biggest where I've been able to play."

On the play of new linebackers Brouce Mompremier and Tyrone McKenzie:

"I think they did a good job. We have to find that niche and get in a good groove together. We're doing that each day in practice. There are a few things we need to correct, but other than that, they played their heart out. We've been building (our chemistry) all summer. I think playing Saturday has showed us so much and we got a few key things done then."

On the statistical change that officially gave him 10 tackles instead of one:

"On the film I had 10 tackles, but I don't care. Someone told me the paper said I had one tackle. I knew I had more because I played in the game but it didn't affect me at all - I don't care. The stats in the paper aren't what I pay attention to. It's always when we're watching film they break it down and give you the tackles. I think I had 10."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright 2007 The Oracle

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I'm a HUGE Ben Moffit fan.

I'm going to miss him next year.  You've got to love a guy with his ability who works so hard and does it without being a primadonna.

He is exactly what a MLB should be.

I'm a HUGE Ben Moffit fan.

I'm going to miss him next year.  You've got to love a guy with his ability who works so hard and does it without being a primadonna.

He is exactly what a MLB should be.

See also: Singletary, Mike

mike_singletary.jpg

• Content Count:  12,453
  • Days Won:  25

Hopefully that will be the headline in the papers Sunday morning.

GO BULLS!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,552
  • Days Won:  29

Saw Ben's wife and kids at Fan Fest '07. His son is a "mini me".

Proud to have him as part of BULL Nation ... and sure we'll see him on Sunday's.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Ben reminds me somewhat of Zach Thomas. Someone who's supposed to be too small, and too slow to play middle linebacker, but all he does is make plays

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Ben reminds me somewhat of Zach Thomas. Someone who's supposed to be too small, and too slow to play middle linebacker, but all he does is make plays

Zach Thomas has 4.6 speed far from to slow to play MLB.  His biggest question mark was his size coming out of college.   

• Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

Zach Thomas HAD 4.6 speed far from to slow to play MLB.  His biggest question mark was his size coming out of college.   

I fixed this for you.

I expect Ben to receive NFL consideration...his production and play recognition will probably be worth something.  Will he make a starting lineup?  Who knows...it's always hard to guess who winds up being NFL caliper until they start producing (or not) for their NFL teams.

Archived