• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

0-4 Against SEC

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

I think it will be tough to beat Auburn, but defensively I like our chances of keeping Auburn from scoring too many points. Brandon Cox is a veteran, and their line is good but their running backs are nothing to write home about and they don't have a really threatening wide receiver. Plus USF has a strong defense, in my opinion a stronger defense than Kansas State had and yet Kansas State was able to keep Auburn's defense in check.

My worry is with the offensive side of the ball, Auburn has a speedy defense and I think they can keep Grothe's speed in check for the most part. That will mean that offensively we will have to attack with the pass and rely on our running backs to run the ball. Mike Ford looked good against Elon so hopefully he can get us some rushing yards and help us establish the run game. The wide receivers ran some bad routes against Elon, but Grothe showed good touch on his passes so if some kinks can be worked out I think the passing game can work.

The main issue is the line, if they had trouble blocking Elon how will they block Quentin Groves and if Auburn blitzes Tray Blackmon the Bulls could be in trouble. Hopefully the line will fix some of it's issues this week. I think that's the big key to this game, the defense will take care of Auburn's offense but if the offensive line can't give Grothe time the Bulls still wont be able to put up enough points to win.

• Content Count:  148

I don't know how much anyone should look at our historical track against SEC opponents in determining what will happen on Saturday, depth at one point was a factor in all of those games.  That's 4 teams in 7 years.  I hate when sportswriters or analysts come up with crafty statistics that mean nothing.  With the exception of Vandy and KU, SEC teams are tough and as different as we are from WV.  Just because South Carolina beat us, I really don't see what advantage that gives Auburn or in 2010 Florida.  I don't think our team will become hypnotized by an SEC flag or logo and roll over. 

So, we lost to Kansas last year and Oklahoma a few years back, does that mean that since were 0-2 against the Big 12, that Baylor should beat us, or has an advantage against us, if they were on the schedule.  Ironically, in the Big East, none of the three projected to finish ahead of us have a winning record against us; were 2 & 2 w/ UL, 1 & 1 w/ WV and 1 & 1 with Rutgers.  I think the only team, historically with a winning record against us is Uconn, I believe they are 3 & 2 against us.  Does this mean Uconn knows how to play us?  No!

Statistics like this mean nothing, The Gators are a different team than Arkansas and Vandy is different than LSU, records against a conference mean nothing. 

I think we have the best shot we have ever had. 

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I don't know how much anyone should look at our historical track against SEC opponents in determining what will happen on Saturday, depth at one point was a factor in all of those games.  That's 4 teams in 7 years.  I hate when sportswriters or analysts come up with crafty statistics that mean nothing.  With the exception of Vandy and KU, SEC teams are tough and as different as we are from WV.  Just because South Carolina beat us, I really don't see what advantage that gives Auburn or in 2010 Florida.  I don't think our team will become hypnotized by an SEC flag or logo and roll over. 

So, we lost to Kansas last year and Oklahoma a few years back, does that mean that since were 0-2 against the Big 12, that Baylor should beat us, or has an advantage against us, if they were on the schedule.  Ironically, in the Big East, none of the three projected to finish ahead of us have a winning record against us; were 2 & 2 w/ UL, 1 & 1 w/ WV and 1 & 1 with Rutgers.  I think the only team, historically with a winning record against us is Uconn, I believe they are 3 & 2 against us.  Does this mean Uconn knows how to play us?  No!

Statistics like this mean nothing, The Gators are a different team than Arkansas and Vandy is different than LSU, records against a conference mean nothing. 

I think we have the best shot we have ever had. 

I thought we had a winning record versus UConn.  I could be wrong though.

• Content Count:  695

Of course how USF has done in the past against the SEC doesn't mean much now, however if they get blown out by Auburn on Saturday that might say some things about the program.

Like I said in my previous post though, it comes down to our offensive line.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

0-4 against the SEC is in the past!  Forget about it!  Saturday is a new day in Tampa Bay!  We have more tools going into Auburn than we had against the other SEC opponents.  The players have to believe in themselves and their coaches, and know that they have the ability to get the job done!

As I have said in other posts, there are only two things we have to worry about, penalties and turnovers.  If we can keep those down to a minimum, the team has a great shot at winning.  Look at the point spread, +7 at Jordan Hare.  What does that tell you? 

We can do it, and I have confidence in the team.  Of course I am anxious, nervous and excited.....who the heck wouldn't be!

GO BULLS!!!!!!!

Archived