What's New
  • USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

CFN Fearless Prediction: Auburn 21 - USF 13

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,489
  • Days Won:  6

South Florida (1-0) at Auburn (1-0)  9:00 PM ESPN2

Why to watch: South Florida has traveled light years in just a decade, but to really garner national attention, the Bulls will need to gore a name brand, out of conference opponent.  Auburn, for instance.  Quite possibly looking ahead to this Saturday, USF was sluggish and inconsistent in its 28-13 victory over I-AA Elon.  The Bulls will again be led by versatile sophomore QB Matt Grothe and an attacking defense.  The wild card is true freshman RB Mike Ford, a former Alabama commit, who’s commanding more playing time after exploding for 84 yards and three scores on just seven touches.  Auburn also had trouble in its opener, narrowly surviving with a 23-13 win over a feisty Kansas State team that had the game in hand, but blew it late.  If the Tigers are going to compete for an SEC title, it’ll be on the backs of a defense that only allowed one touchdown and 27 rushing yards Saturday night.  Offensively, on the other hand, they’ve got a serious shortage of reliable blockers and dangerous playmakers to support veteran QB Brandon Cox.

Why South Florida might win: The Bulls have the defensive speed and tenacity to harass a young Auburn line that starts two freshmen and is really struggling in pass protection.  In particular, they’ll have their hands full with speedy DE George Selvie, who began his sophomore season with a whopping six tackles for loss and four sacks.  With corners Trae Williams and Mike Jenkins blanketing the Tiger receivers and Cox short on time, it’ll be up to a depleted backfield to move the ball on the South Florida defense.

Why Auburn might win: If the USF offense executes this weekend like it did last weekend, it won’t score.  Auburn’s defense is the fastest the Bulls will see all year, and there’s no one on the offensive line that can contain ends Quentin Groves and Sen’Derrick Marks.  Without much help from the running game, Grothe will try to do too much and be forced into making poor decisions.

Who to watch: The Auburn kickers.  Starter Wes Byrum is nursing a badly injured ankle, meaning kicking duties could be handled by a couple of complete unknowns, either freshman Graham Sutter or sophomore Zach Kutch.  In a low-scoring game that might be decided by the special teams, the Tigers’ fate could rest on the foot of a frighteningly inexperienced kicker.

What will happen: While this is not a vintage Tommy Tuberville team, Auburn will escape with a close home win for the second straight weekend.  Points will come at a premium, making the turnover battle even more critical than usual.

CFN Prediction: Auburn 21 ... South Florida 13 ... Line: Auburn -6

Must See Rating: (5 Mad Men - 1 Chelsea Lately) ... 4

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I gotta agree with some of his statements, but we've ALWAYS been tough when we're the underdog... 

• Content Count:  3,369

I think our Defense scores 2 TDS this week... Call me crazy but I see an interception for a TD, and I see CLebert blindside and Selvie TD!

• Content Count:  5,903

Cox threw two INT's last week. I hope he throws two more this week.

If they turn the ball over 3 or 4 times... the game is ours. (provided we don't do the same)

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

I'm expecting our RBs to have a better game then they're giving them credit for...but maybe I'm optimistic.

• Content Count:  4,642

if we can run it hard and often, the opposing d-line will wear down and thus let grothe have more time to find deep targets.

OH MAN CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Content Count:  4,642

South Florida (1-0) at Auburn (1-0)  9:00 PM ESPN2

Why to watch: South Florida has traveled light years in just a decade, but to really garner national attention, the Bulls will need to gore a name brand, out of conference opponent.  Auburn, for instance.  Quite possibly looking ahead to this Saturday, USF was sluggish and inconsistent in its 28-13 victory over I-AA Elon.  The Bulls will again be led by versatile sophomore QB Matt Grothe and an attacking defense.  The wild card is true freshman RB Mike Ford, a former Alabama commit, who’s commanding more playing time after exploding for 84 yards and three scores on just seven touches.  Auburn also had trouble in its opener, narrowly surviving with a 23-13 win over a feisty Kansas State team that had the game in hand, but blew it late.  If the Tigers are going to compete for an SEC title, it’ll be on the backs of a defense that only allowed one touchdown and 27 rushing yards Saturday night.  Offensively, on the other hand, they’ve got a serious shortage of reliable blockers and dangerous playmakers to support veteran QB Brandon Cox.

Why South Florida might win: The Bulls have the defensive speed and tenacity to harass a young Auburn line that starts two freshmen and is really struggling in pass protection.  In particular, they’ll have their hands full with speedy DE George Selvie, who began his sophomore season with a whopping six tackles for loss and four sacks.  With corners Trae Williams and Mike Jenkins blanketing the Tiger receivers and Cox short on time, it’ll be up to a depleted backfield to move the ball on the South Florida defense.

Why Auburn might win: If the USF offense executes this weekend like it did last weekend, it won’t score.  Auburn’s defense is the fastest the Bulls will see all year, and there’s no one on the offensive line that can contain ends Quentin Groves and Sen’Derrick Marks.  Without much help from the running game, Grothe will try to do too much and be forced into making poor decisions.

Who to watch: The Auburn kickers.  Starter Wes Byrum is nursing a badly injured ankle, meaning kicking duties could be handled by a couple of complete unknowns, either freshman Graham Sutter or sophomore Zach Kutch.  In a low-scoring game that might be decided by the special teams, the Tigers’ fate could rest on the foot of a frighteningly inexperienced kicker.

What will happen: While this is not a vintage Tommy Tuberville team, Auburn will escape with a close home win for the second straight weekend.  Points will come at a premium, making the turnover battle even more critical than usual.

CFN Prediction: Auburn 21 ... South Florida 13 ... Line: Auburn -6

Must See Rating: (5 Mad Men - 1 Chelsea Lately) ... 4

To be honest, this sounds like an extremely fair prediction.

• Content Count:  3,103

and there’s no one on the offensive line that can contain ends Quentin Groves and Sen’Derrick Marks.

just like we couldn't stop Elvis Dumervil from UL a few years ago.

• Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

My quess is 24-13, but I'm not sure who gets 24 and who gets 13.

Archived