• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Elon game a disappointment?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

It was the first game I attended as a USF student, and I was amazed to see how undisciplined the team looked against an inferior football team.

Welcome to USF football. Year 10 same as year 1. I love the little rascals but they are always in the top 5 most penalized teams in the nation, they always burn idiotic timeouts early, they do not know routes or plays and they still manage to win a good number of games. Usually not the games that you need composure and discipline the most like road games, big games, or first time matchups.

When they lose more games then CJL will sit them instead of run them and the discipline problems will end. Lets hope it doesn't come to that but this week all of those things are most likely going to blow up all over us.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  69
  • Days Won:  0

It's true, alot of USF's performance Saturday night can be attributed to keeping the real game plan for next week under wraps, but there were also a serious number of mistakes that can't be simply written off as us playing down to our opponent. The dropped passes, constant penalties and ugly special teams play is not a reflection of a change in gameplan but fundamental errors that need to be taken care of early. If USF doesn't work out the constant stream of mistakes then this could end up being another irritatingly inconsistent season, a team going out on the field that is capable of great things but can't keep running on all cylinders all the time.

At the same time though it's not as if I'm getting too bent out of shape about this like some, this is only the first game and we still have to work out some of the kinks. Not to mention that any look at our first few games last year would hardly indicate any sort of world beater but if we're going to go into Auburn next week and have a real chance then CJL needs to get on this team about mistakes big time.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I agree that we used a somewhat scaled down offense.  If we wanted to we could have lined up and just pounded them for 4 quarters and eventually we would have just worn them out and won by more than 15 points.

However, I am concerned that we did not perform the limited plays we called very well.  Given the size difference between our OL and their DL we should have been able to move them around.  We could not.  They should never have been able to get pressure but they did.  The OL has a lot of work to do by Saturday.

• Content Count:  9,038

This Saturday will tell.  After that, it will all be either uphill or downhill.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Yes this game was a huge disappointment.  The guys looked unfocused and showed a lack of execution that i haven't seen in a long time.  If there isnt a 180degree turn around expect the AU game to be over by 1/2 time. 

• Content Count:  7,890

USF was one of the worst looking 1A teams this weekend in my opinion. Virginia and Arizona both looked really bad too but they were playing 1A programs from the Mountain West conference which is the nation's best non-BCS conference. USF was playing a middle of the road 1-AA program and honestly the game should have been over by halftime. Instead the game had just begun at halftime, even sadder is after the Bulls got a 28-6 lead instead of turning it into a rout they nearly let Elon make a comeback. Elon got a touchdown thanks to a USF turnover, then recovered an onside kick. I just don't get it.

I too felt this way walking out of the stadium on Saturday night, but after I watched the tape of the game (two times now), I feel alot better.  Most of our mistakes were mental errors (bonehead penalties, dropped passes), not to mention our O Line was working with a skeleton crew of sorts.  These things can be corrected.  The final score was 28-13, but could have just as easily been 45-3.  If you haven't watched a tape of the game, view it and it should change your opinion somewhat.

Same here when I walked out I said to my boy if we dont get better soon we are going to get our ass kicked next week. But I watched the game a few times and I see alot of good things and still some bad but that can be fixed. I still think we are going to win

GO BULLS

• Content Count:  431

USF was one of the worst looking 1A teams this weekend in my opinion. Virginia and Arizona both looked really bad too but they were playing 1A programs from the Mountain West conference which is the nation's best non-BCS conference. USF was playing a middle of the road 1-AA program and honestly the game should have been over by halftime. Instead the game had just begun at halftime, even sadder is after the Bulls got a 28-6 lead instead of turning it into a rout they nearly let Elon make a comeback. Elon got a touchdown thanks to a USF turnover, then recovered an onside kick. I just don't get it.

I too felt this way walking out of the stadium on Saturday night, but after I watched the tape of the game (two times now), I feel alot better.  Most of our mistakes were mental errors (bonehead penalties, dropped passes), not to mention our O Line was working with a skeleton crew of sorts.  These things can be corrected.  The final score was 28-13, but could have just as easily been 45-3.  If you haven't watched a tape of the game, view it and it should change your opinion somewhat.

Same here when I walked out I said to my boy if we dont get better soon we are going to get our ass kicked next week. But I watched the game a few times and I see alot of good things and still some bad but that can be fixed. I still think we are going to win

GO BULLS

I'll third that. I was upset leaving the game thinking we will be in big trouble this weekend. With nothing encouraging to see other than Ford, it was a little depressing. However, after watching the game a few more times it seems to me that we were able to score when we wanted to. You could easily see the difference when the urgency was there to score, and they did, and the rest of the time the focus was not on scoring, but on simply trying different people out in different places. Think of all those plays/positions where you said to yourself "why is he running that route or play when it was player X (TJ, etc.) that ran it so well last year with great results?" You would think the difference in talent would still allow us to score, but add in the injuries on the o-line, the poor focus of the receivers, and the wet conditions and you get exactly what we saw. Did anyone think that maybe Grothe and the receivers were out of synch because the wet conditions caused the receivers to be a step or so slower than usual and the running game was just enough because that's exactly what we wanted it to be? The team knew going into that game that their focus was not to score, but to win while trying some new things out and not revealing what our best scoring plays and players were, and they did. I felt nearly the same way after this game that I did after the spring game, it was nice to see the players mess around, but disappointing not to see anything exciting and encouraging (except Ford) like I had grown accustomed to from last year. Yet that was not the purpose of the spring game or this 1-AA warm-up, I was just being selfish looking for some short-term excitement from these scrimmages when it would have been at the expense of the long-term goals of the team for them to do so.

I'm not saying that our best scoring and defensive game will guarantee a win against Auburn on the road, just that I will expect a far and away more exciting game this weekend seeing the playmakers in their traditional plays/positions of last year and use of the exciting new RBs.

• Content Count:  75

****, ya'll are already starting to get yourselves ready to jump off the wagon.  Except for all the dropped balls, we looked good with scaled back preparation.  If half the balls underneath would have been caught/converted we would have probably created two to three more touchdowns.  The D was on point. As flat and boring as the game was and little scoring, I never got the feeling that we were not in complete control.  The only thing that makes me concerned going to Auburn is our kicking game on both sides.  Teachey has got to do a better job of avoiding the punt receiver, so his punts can run down field more.  And, someone needs to establish themselves as the punt/kick returner. I don't think it is Amari's true fit.  We are going to show up in Auburn.  I just hope it doesn't come down to our kicking game and field position, which is very likely considering the two defenses.

George Selvie is a beast!

• Content Count:  1,235

****, ya'll are already starting to get yourselves ready to jump off the wagon.  Except for all the dropped balls, we looked good with scaled back preparation.  If half the balls underneath would have been caught/converted we would have probably created two to three more touchdowns.  The D was on point. As flat and boring as the game was and little scoring, I never got the feeling that we were not in complete control.  The only thing that makes me concerned going to Auburn is our kicking game on both sides.  Teachey has got to do a better job of avoiding the punt receiver, so his punts can run down field more.  And, someone needs to establish themselves as the punt/kick returner. I don't think it is Amari's true fit.  We are going to show up in Auburn.  I just hope it doesn't come down to our kicking game and field position, which is very likely considering the two defenses.

George Selvie is a beast!

The thing that bothers me most is our punting game.  I would not be surprised to see a blocked punt this weekend, which could turn things in a big game.  Let's hope we can get the punt blocking/kicking squared away.

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  294

I think a lot of people have failed to read between the lines here. It is not obvious that our offense was scaled down to about 20 plays on offense and defense? Grothe threw a lot of underneath routes. HOW MANY TIMES DID WE BLITZ ON DEFENSE? Not one single time. George Selvie had 4 sacks from just bull rushing and stunting elon's o-line. Come on people. This game was "close" because we had a different agenda. We called C. Mitchell's and TJ's number for a reverse. When we all know how reverses have been ran in the past. How much play action did we do after we establish the run? We got J Taylor some game action. Introduced a new formation. Worked on some motion blah blah blah. If we wanted to run the score up we could have easily handed the ball to Ford 20x. I'm sure he would have destroyed a couple of USF rushing records.....6 carries for 83 yards. We weren't even playing with urgency out there. Other than that, my only issues were the dropped balls, Amarri dancing a lil too much instead of making a move and hitting the hole, and cedric Hill's blocking on some plays. He doesn't seal his man.

One more thing; please consider the scaled-down game film Auburn has to look at to game-plan against us. They have practically nothing. Would you willingly give up information to your opponent if you knew they could use it against you? I'm sure the answer is no. So why would you expect us to blow elon out of the water and show our playing hand? And another thing, if any of you watched that Auburn you have picked up on how overly-aggressive their d is. I can't count how many times they blitz their linebackers while their secondary stayed in zone coverage. Hmmm those short underneath routes that we worked on this past week will yield big gains if our receivers catch the balls.

Elon scored 6 points on our first team defense. I saw what I wanted to see. I may not be satisfied with the product from the elon game, but I exactly know what we're doing. If you think for a second that CJL is that dumb to show his hand in a statement game, you haven't followed USF football that well. CJL knows how to play the game. Just ask Urban Meyer. Meyer called him up after the Bowling Green vs USF game to ask how'd he beat him. Leavitt refused to tell him.

I'm not worried the least bit.

He gets it.

Archived