• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College Atmosphere

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I know we complain a lot about the atmosphere at RayJay, but there is little we can do to change how it looks. However, we can change how it sounds. I remember last year at the Syracuse basketball game when their fans were MUCH louder than ours (out numbered us too). With the large numbers coming in for the West Virginia game I am a little bit afraid they might be louder than us and our fans might not be as loud as they should be.

Also, it seems our fans cheer at the wrong times and are quiet when they should be loud. I was wondering what everybody's thoughts on this were and how we can change that!

I was thinking, since there are so many of us on here, that somebody from each section and for it to simply read "QUIET" on one-side and on the other "NOISE." Of course, this doesn't ensure people stand and cheer or shut-up. But, it could help.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

I've seen pro teams (the Redskins come to mind) where the jumbotron displays "Quiet... offense at work" during offensive sets. That's a great way to get to those who don't otherwise get it.

• Content Count:  2,719

I've seen pro teams (the Redskins come to mind) where the jumbotron displays "Quiet... offense at work" during offensive sets. That's a great way to get to those who don't otherwise get it.

That's a good way to educate the entire stadium.  Didn't we used to hear "Let's hear it for that Bulls defense" also which got the crowd going on a 3rd down. 

• Content Count:  172

The students were in to the game Saturday night. The rest of the stadium seemed dead. We are in the south endzone, and no one other than myself in section 123 got up to cheer the team, when we came out to field the season opening kickoff. TJ was trying to get us to stand and cheer, but there was no response from the fans.  I heard some decent cheering a couple of times when the defense got a sack ,and when Ford was working his magic, but other than that it was dead. I think the 94% humidity had some to do with it, and the fact it was Elon. I hope we rev it up for the rest of the season, as it was not a fun game to attend from my standpoint. Heck when the Bulls ran on the field, I would guess a third of the attendees were not in their seats. When I look at the big time schools, the seats are packed before the team comes onto the field.

Also, why not have the PA guy do some pre-game instructing, to help us through the new traditions. I was trying to figure out what the new pre-game video was all about, and I partially missed the Bulls starting to run on the field. How hard would it have been to let us know what the guys who I thought were dressed up like the Karate Kid, were actually some students selected to run onto the field with the Bulls, imitating the Pamplona running of the Bulls.

Just want us to be as good as we can be. Go BULLS!!

• Content Count:  1,479

For many years, the "lets hear it for that BULLS DEFENSE!!!" was done by the PA Announcer, and for just as many years there were people that complained about it, either being annoying or treating the crowd like they were stupid. I think an opposing coach even complained once. But I had noticed over the years it did usually work, especially for the people who werent paying attention to when it was 3rd down. Yeah, the Pamplona part wasnt explained, hopefully it will become such a big tradition everyone will know it soon. Hopefully it will become a huge tradition for students.

• Content Count:  2,363

Also, why not have the PA guy do some pre-game instructing, to help us through the new traditions. I was trying to figure out what the new pre-game video was all about, and I partially missed the Bulls starting to run on the field. How hard would it have been to let us know what the guys who I thought were dressed up like the Karate Kid, were actually some students selected to run onto the field with the Bulls, imitating the Pamplona running of the Bulls.

Just want us to be as good as we can be. Go BULLS!!

Good call. Something as simple as "Here in Raymond James Stadium, Home of the USF Bulls, good sportsmanship and enthusiastic support of your USF Bulls are encouraged. Please quietly allow your offense to work while making plenty of noise for your Bulls DEEEE-FENSE!" could do wonders.

I think the best norm-setting-via-PA I've ever heard occurred at the UNC vs. OSU basketball game this past year. As the Tar Heel fans began chanting overrated, the announcer simply said "We'd like to remind you that Carolina fans are classy ladies and gentlemen and do not chant 'overrated.'" And that was that.

• Content Count:  385

Does anyone remember to old stadium announcer who wouldn't say anything if a team had no points?  He would say something like, "USF 21 Army ....."  In other words if a team didn't have points he wouldn;t say zero.  It's harder to write than I thought, but do you all understand?

• Content Count:  172

Does anyone remember to old stadium announcer who wouldn't say anything if a team had no points?  He would say something like, "USF 21 Army ....."  In other words if a team didn't have points he wouldn;t say zero.  It's harder to write than I thought, but do you all understand?

Paul Porter is the name. Go Bulls!!

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

With the large numbers coming in for the West Virginia game I am a little bit afraid they might be louder than us and our fans might not be as loud as they should be.

The students are going to be there in full force and will be much louder and that tends to get our "hand sitter" fans going as well.

• Content Count:  385

Paul Porter is the name. Go Bulls!!

YES!!!  That's him.  I never heard any other announcer do this.  It's a small thing, but it made it unique to me.

Archived