• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please Please Mic HOT

They've been doing the First Down song for two years now...WHEN WILL THE FANS GET IT!!!

When we can actually hear it.

I was listening and NO ONE was saing Go Bulls after the charge theme!!!  WTF!!!

There's a "charge theme" ???

- HOT will never be mic'd(unless for TV)...mic'n for live sound in the stadium over the loudspeakers would be a TIMING NIGHTMARE!!!

That is probably true.  Stadium microphones have an inherent delay - and if I were playing, it might be a challenge to hear the band's sound delayed like that.

- Ray Jay is not a good stadium for a live band.

- UMiami mic's their band, you know why?  BECAUSE THERES LIKE 120 of them...and they SUCK!!!

If you dont know the cheers, LEARN THEM, and actively listen and get your "Section" to cheer to them.  There are words for EVERY down song.

This is the first time I have even heard that there are words to these down songs.  I know there are words to the fight song, and I wish there was a way to teach people the song.

I will be very excited to hear the entire stadium join the band and the 1/4 of the student section that cheer during the downs cheers.  That a very important moment for us to impact the opponets mentally and we are not jumping on it.  WE HAVE TO COME TOGETHER!!!

The best thing would be to do what so many other schools do... pick ONE song and play IT after each play.  It's a lot easier to learn one song than to learn three or four...

We should be lucky to have 300 in our band.  Look at other schools who can barely get 150-200 in theres...

GO BULLS!!!

GO HOT BAND!!!

I agree, go HOT!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Before we jump the gun and mic our HUGE band, what about moving them to help direct the sound throughout the stadium.  Maybe back to the endzone or the wedge? 

If the stadium were oval shaped, they'd probably sound louder everywhere in the stadium.  I'm sure it's plenty loud in the north endzone and directly west of the band.  But for the rest of us on the south side, the volume is not so good.  It seems like a simple line-of-site problem to me. 

• Content Count:  1,532

Before we jump the gun and mic our HUGE band, what about moving them to help direct the sound throughout the stadium.  Maybe back to the endzone or the wedge? 

If the stadium were oval shaped, they'd probably sound louder everywhere in the stadium.  I'm sure it's plenty loud in the north endzone and directly west of the band.  But for the rest of us on the south side, the volume is not so good.  It seems like a simple line-of-site problem to me. 

HOT was in the endzone back in 03.  They had to move so they could use the stairs to te field.  Otherwise the band had to leave a full quarter ahead and block the concessions.  It was hell.  Sorry to say, another horrible thing about Ray Jay.

• Content Count:  1,757

They've been doing the First Down song for two years now...WHEN WILL THE FANS GET IT!!!

I was listening and NO ONE was saing Go Bulls after the charge theme!!!  WTF!!!

- HOT will never be mic'd(unless for TV)...mic'n for live sound in the stadium over the loudspeakers would be a TIMING NIGHTMARE!!!

- Ray Jay is not a good stadium for a live band.

- UMiami mic's their band, you know why?  BECAUSE THERES LIKE 120 of them...and they SUCK!!!

If you dont know the cheers, LEARN THEM, and actively listen and get your "Section" to cheer to them.  There are words for EVERY down song.

I will be very excited to hear the entire stadium join the band and the 1/4 of the student section that cheer during the downs cheers.  That a very important moment for us to impact the opponets mentally and we are not jumping on it.  WE HAVE TO COME TOGETHER!!!

We should be lucky to have 300 in our band.  Look at other schools who can barely get 150-200 in theres...

GO BULLS!!!

GO HOT BAND!!!

I agree, but let's solve the problem... move the band so the stadium can hear it.  What about the corner, that would be even better than the setup now.   It's hard to cheer along (first down, fight song, etc...) when you can't HEAR the band.   

There are probably about 8000 students that can't hear out of their left ears, while those of us 180 degrees across the stadium couldn't tell what you guys were even playing half the time.  

Getting rid of that obnoxious McDonalds first down advertisement is a major plus.  I'd much rather hear our amazing band!

• Content Count:  122

The University of Virginia has a huge band and a stadium that has one open side. They mic their bands live music without a problem and it sounds much better. The crowd can hear it and therfore they participate.

I sit in section 134 and rarely can hear the band. Clearly the present setup is not working well even though they are 300 members strong. There are two simple solutions to the problem:

1) Move them to the south endzone where they will face the majority of the crowd.

2) Mic the band up for sound (I don't care if the band is against this; swallow some pride, us fans in the stadium can not hear you)

Until USF does this, the majority of the stadium will not be able to hear the band and the traditions they are trying to start will not take over. Simple as that.

• Content Count:  3,827

I am ALL FOR the band moving to the South Endzone.

1) it gives that side of the stadium some "character".

2) with the students on one side, and the band on the other, you cant escape the noise.

3) a LOT easier access for the band to and from the field, and on the concourse.

4) atmosphere. atmosphere. atmosphere.

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

David gave the best point of all, timing issues.  When we went down for the MIA game, they were mic'd.  Since we sat NEAR THE SPEAKERS (they sat the HOT band in the upper deck, d@mn MIA), we could hear the separation perfectly.  With the vast directions the sound would go, plus live to speaker issues... the band would get WORSE becuase they would not be able to keep time.  Ray Jay is just a horrible band stadium... we have to live with it.  Sorry guys.

I don't know anything about audio systems, but can you compare the OB system to the Ray Jay sound system?  Seems like the Ray Jay sound system would be more state of the art.  If so, would this help the timing issue?

I say try it out for a game to see.

Love the effort HOT, just wish I could hear you guys a little better.  You guys had the fans going crazy at the UCF game and PJB game last year.    Wish we could replicate that in Ray Jay. 

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

Best way for an open-ended stadium to hear the band by a majority of fans...is to put the band right smack dab in the MIDDLE of the end zone...then fans on BOTH sidelines should be able to hear.

If your band is still in the NE corner of the stadium...many folks on the East Sideline won't be able to hear.

Look at what FSU does....they put the band smack dab in the middle of the end zone.

If you have a band toward one side...that side won't be able to hear as much as the other sideline (West).

Just some acoustic tips.

• Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

These are facts:

1.  We play in RJS, and it is not a stadium that was built with acoustics in mind (why would it be?).

2.  The South End Zone and other sections can barely hear the band play, much less make out the songs and sing along

3.  Other schools' bands are mic'd.

To me, it makes zero sense to complain about the stadium.  Let's worry about things we can do something about, whether it be moving the band, mic'ing them up, or whatever.  Or we can cry endlessly about RJS and how we need an OCS and, consequently, nothing gets done.

I am a big fan of HOT.  We follow the percussion out and enjoy the post game show outside the NE gate after every game.  But it may be time for them to swallow their pride on this one and mic it up.

• Content Count:  2,363

It's less an issue with the quality of the sound system than it is the fact that the sound's coming from different places. If HOT is miked, then the sound that reaches your ears is coming from two places--they fronts of the instruments and over the loudspeaker. While it means that sound'll reach those who couldn't hear it before, it'll create whole new problems for those who can already hear the band (which from what I'm hearing is most of the stadium)--Imagine hearing the opening strains of the fight song and seconds later hearing... the opening strains of the fight song. It's like a round of Row Row Row Your Boat on crack, and would make the band sound horrible to nearly all of the stadium, not to mention anyone trying to sing/chant along. And heaven forbid the band try and play off of what they were hearing instead of watching the drum major (of course they should be watching the DM, but we all know that it's really the drummers who run things ;-)) That messes things up even further. That's where the timing issue comes in.

David gave the best point of all, timing issues.  When we went down for the MIA game, they were mic'd.  Since we sat NEAR THE SPEAKERS (they sat the HOT band in the upper deck, d@mn MIA), we could hear the separation perfectly.  With the vast directions the sound would go, plus live to speaker issues... the band would get WORSE becuase they would not be able to keep time.  Ray Jay is just a horrible band stadium... we have to live with it.  Sorry guys.

I don't know anything about audio systems, but can you compare the OB system to the Ray Jay sound system?  Seems like the Ray Jay sound system would be more state of the art.  If so, would this help the timing issue?

I say try it out for a game to see.

Love the effort HOT, just wish I could hear you guys a little better.   You guys had the fans going crazy at the UCF game and PJB game last year.    Wish we could replicate that in Ray Jay. 

Archived