• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Please Please Mic HOT

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

I was also disappointed, they are bigger this year, but quieter. I could barely hear them at half time also. Hopefully this was just first game jitters.

They were much louder then last year... much

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,363

As a band dork and HOT fan (but never member), I'm torn on this issue. My knee-jerk reaction is that saying "we can't hear the band, let's mic 'em!" is tantamount to saying "our team could be bigger and stronger. Who's got some steroids?" I'd prefer that they get stronger in the weight room (read: practice room) than through artificial means. That said, HOT, if the fans can't hear you (and be glad they want to hear you!) that's a serious problem and something needs to be done. Still, why is so much of the clamoring for the artificial, quick-fix means instead of wanting our band (yes, as USF supporters, HOT is our band) to work on their chops and get stronger naturally?

Guest JulmisteForPrez

As a band dork and HOT fan (but never member), I'm torn on this issue. My knee-jerk reaction is that saying "we can't hear the band, let's mic 'em!" is tantamount to saying "our team could be bigger and stronger. Who's got some steroids?" I'd prefer that they get stronger in the weight room (read: practice room) than through artificial means. That said, HOT, if the fans can't hear you (and be glad they want to hear you!) that's a serious problem and something needs to be done. Still, why is so much of the clamoring for the artificial, quick-fix means instead of wanting our band (yes, as USF supporters, HOT is our band) to work on their chops and get stronger naturally?

Good point!

Yeah.....if all 295 of them would just play marginally louder, you put that all together and you've got a GOOD bit more volume.

I agree......putting mics on the band is pretty cheesy.

By the way, band people....

I have been told (I think by one of your own) that the layout for Raymond James stadium is no the most conducive to having a marching band.  Is this correct??

That stadium was built exclusively for BLARING the super CRAPPY music they play at NFL games.

• Content Count:  1,400

I sit right above them and they were plenty loud  :)

• Content Count:  3,087
  • Days Won:  1

Good point!

Yeah.....if all 295 of them would just play marginally louder, you put that all together and you've got a GOOD bit more volume.

I agree......putting mics on the band is pretty cheesy.

By the way, band people....

I have been told (I think by one of your own) that the layout for Raymond James stadium is no the most conducive to having a marching band.  Is this correct??

That stadium was built exclusively for BLARING the super CRAPPY music they play at NFL games.

I believe you are correct, RayJay is acoustically bad.  I have a feeling it is due to the open ends.  Alot the sound reflects around the bowl area and straight out the ends, if we had a closed off stadium, we'd be in a different situation.

• Content Count:  318

I was down in 232, opposite end from the band.  The next section over was the band parents.  We could barely hear them.  Mic them, do it now!

But I did like the effort to get the "First Down, Bulls!" going. 

• Content Count:  2,726

They've been doing the First Down song for two years now...WHEN WILL THE FANS GET IT!!!

I was listening and NO ONE was saing Go Bulls after the charge theme!!!  WTF!!!

- HOT will never be mic'd(unless for TV)...mic'n for live sound in the stadium over the loudspeakers would be a TIMING NIGHTMARE!!!

- Ray Jay is not a good stadium for a live band.

- UMiami mic's their band, you know why?  BECAUSE THERES LIKE 120 of them...and they SUCK!!!

If you dont know the cheers, LEARN THEM, and actively listen and get your "Section" to cheer to them.  There are words for EVERY down song.

I will be very excited to hear the entire stadium join the band and the 1/4 of the student section that cheer during the downs cheers.  That a very important moment for us to impact the opponets mentally and we are not jumping on it.  WE HAVE TO COME TOGETHER!!!

We should be lucky to have 300 in our band.  Look at other schools who can barely get 150-200 in theres...

GO BULLS!!!

GO HOT BAND!!!

• Content Count:  1,251

as a former member of hot for the past three years (but not this year) i can say the band will get better every week believe me........but the band did lose ALOT of veteran members which is gonna hurt thier sound.......

if they all play margianly louder it prob wont make them any louder cause if they start playing out of tune thier sound will split.....some people can play good loud....and some just start to sound ****** when they play loud.......the better in tune with eachother the band is the louder they will be........its hard to understand and im not the best at explaining but its true......

yeh and ray jay sucky acoustics......

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,549
  • Days Won:  29

...mic'n for live sound in the stadium over the loudspeakers would be a TIMING NIGHTMARE!!!

That explains it. Thanx !

If you dont know the cheers, LEARN THEM, ...  WE HAVE TO COME TOGETHER!!!

GO BULLS!!!

GO HOT BAND!!!

How do I learn them if I can barely hear ... can you post them here ?

• Content Count:  1,532

...mic'n for live sound in the stadium over the loudspeakers would be a TIMING NIGHTMARE!!!

That explains it. Thanx !

If you dont know the cheers, LEARN THEM, ...  WE HAVE TO COME TOGETHER!!!

GO BULLS!!!

GO HOT BAND!!!

How do I learn them if I can barely hear ... can you post them here ?

http://band.arts.usf.edu/standsspirit.htm  --They might be old... I need to talk to the Director about them.  Just listen to the band and the students near them.  They usually get it going.

David gave the best point of all, timing issues.  When we went down for the MIA game, they were mic'd.  Since we sat NEAR THE SPEAKERS (they sat the HOT band in the upper deck, d@mn MIA), we could hear the separation perfectly.  With the vast directions the sound would go, plus live to speaker issues... the band would get WORSE becuase they would not be able to keep time.  Ray Jay is just a horrible band stadium... we have to live with it.  Sorry guys.

Archived