• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hard works pays off with record game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

George Selvie ties a single-game record and breaks another.

By BRENDAN GALELLA, Times Correspondent

Published September 2, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Defensive end George Selvie did his part to justify all of the hype about the Bulls entering the 2007 season.

With Elon in prime position to score, the sophomore ended one drive by forcing a fumble and caused the Phoenix to settle for a field goal on another.

"George is great. We had some individuals that had a great night, and George is one of them," coach Jim Leavitt said. "This was a game where a few individuals stood out."

Selvie matched Shurron Pierson's single-game sack record with four and broke a record for tackles for loss that he shared with three others, recording six.

The dominating effort was nothing new for Selvie, who was named a Sporting News freshman All-American last season.

His four sacks leave him just one and a half shy of his mark in 2006.

Selvie said his primary focus during the summer training camp was creating pressure on the quarterback.

"All the offseason work I've been doing on my pass-rush came together tonight," Selvie said. "I just played relentless football; you have to play like that."

After a botched punt attempt by Justin Teachey, who dropped the snap, allowed Elon to regain possession on the USF 16-yard line, the Phoenix was only able to gain 1 yard on its next two plays. Selvie kept points off the board on the next play.

Quarterback Scott Riddle dropped back to pass, and the pocket surrounding him collapsed. Selvie closed in, wrapped around him and knocked the ball loose. Teammate Jarriett Buie recovered the ball.

"He played ridiculous tonight. He just kept coming out on top," defensive lineman Richard Clebert said. "It was a great effort by the entire defensive line, and that's because coach (Dan) McCarney is a great coach."

As a team, Elon managed 74 rushing yards on 30 attempts, just 2.5 yards per carry. Selvie's nine tackles were just one short of his personal record of 10, set against Cincinnati a year ago.

In the third quarter, Selvie recorded two of his sacks on third down. One caused Elon to punt, and the other forced the Phoenix to settle for a field goal after having a first-and-goal situation from the8-yard line.

Selvie's performance even took him by surprise.

"I wasn't expecting all that, but I love it. It was better than what I expected for myself," Selvie said. "We were able to stop them, and that was great."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

I love this quote coming from Clebert, "He played ridiculous tonight. He just kept coming out on top," defensive lineman Richard Clebert said. "It was a great effort by the entire defensive line, and that's because coach (Dan) McCarney is a great coach."     It shows you how much the players believe in the former Iowa St coach. I still cant believe that Iowa St was so quick to let Coach McCarney go after all that he has done for that program. Iowa St's loss is USF's gain which is a good thing.

Archived