• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Now, is it time we hire a special teams coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

How about we pitch a Gynecologist to sponsor or offer free check ups for the O-Line?

Selvie and Ford proved that all we need is 1 on each side of the ball to beat Elon. Sadly I knew it was coming. Can't wait until game 7 when we are up to speed again. Really thinking about canceling my trip to Auburn. I'm tired and drunk and still gonna watch the game over again maybe it will look better this time.

Goodnight, Go Bulls.

• Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

Based on our special teams play the last couple years, any special teams coach we might have hired would have been given the boot by now.  Just awful.  I was also disappointed we missed an opportunity to get our backup QBs some game experience.  This will bite us in the butt later in the season.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,549
  • Days Won:  29

Just a reminder ... to hire a Special Teams Coach, we would have to fire a coach ... you are only allowed a certain number of coaches.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

We did pretty good on kickoff coverage and Teachey put one in the end zone, but other than that the special teams was a complete disaster.  There were too many men on the field, a roughing the punter, a block in the back on a fair catch, a muffed punt, a fumbled punt, Amarri runs sideways instead of up the field, a dropped snap on the punt, short punts,  a botched hands team play resulting in giving them the ball back and we had to call a time out because the Long Snapper forgot to take the field for the first punt.  The only thing we didn't do on special teams was have one blocked.  That was a complete disaster.

Other than the fact that our receivers STILL cannot catch the ball consistently, I am not really too worried about the offense.  I truly believe the  Coaches were doing just enough to win the and used the game as a glorified scrimmage. 

Maybe I am wrong, but I have a hard time believing that with the proven experience and talent of the coaching staff that they can't figure out that Mike Ford needs to be running the ball between 20 t0 25 times a game and I can't believe that is not part of the game plan.  Doesn't make sense.  I mean c'mon, the guy touched the ball 6 times last night.  After his first run, he knocked off runs a long run on 3rd and long for a first down, then he has a 20 yard TD run, then a 48 run The he runs over 2 guys to get into the end zone.  He did that in the spring game too.  The guy  has the speed size and nose for the holes to be a threat to go the distance on every play.

I think it is a stupid thing to do and I would much rather have just pounded the ball down Elon's throats with our regular offense, get out to big lead and let our 2nd team (especially Gregory) get in some reps, but I truly believe what we saw last night was not the regular offense we will run.  I think the coaches were trying to keep the running game under wraps and they were trying to sharpen up the passing game.  The way our defense plays and with a back that moves the ball the way Ford does, it makes no sense, other than the fact they were working on some aspect of the offense, to run the offense they did last night.  It seemed to me we threw the ball as much, if not more once we got a 2 TD lead in the 3rd qtr than we did earlier.  We certainly weren't playing to run down the clock like we did in the bowl game last year.

I am not too sure about Amarri Jackson, buit Taurus Johnson is solid and once he learns to run the routes corrrectly, Carlton Mitchell looks like he can be a verry good receiver.

The defense will be solid as usual.  No worries there.  The defense looked like they were just playing the ball.  They probably ran a few, but I don't remember seeing a blitz all night.  When they needed to, they looked like they kicked it up a notch, but seemed liek they were on cruise control all night.  maybe it was the game, but they see,med to lack the emotional intensity they had last year.  I am hoping it was because of who were were playing.

• Content Count:  16,192
  • Days Won:  42

This game strangely reminded me of the McNeese St game from last season in where the special teams was making too many mistakes.  I am not worried about Teachey punting the ball because he was pretty good last season. I believe playing that first game in those conditions had a factor. If they play like that against Auburn then the game will be over real quick.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This game strangely reminded me of the McNeese St game from last season in where the special teams was making too many mistakes.  I am not worried about Teachey punting the ball because he was pretty good last season. I believe playing that first game in those conditions had a factor. If they play like that against Auburn then the game will be over real quick.

The thing about the special teams that concerns me is that we are still making the same mistakes we made 3 years ago.  Penalties, mental mistakes, stupid stuff. 

• Content Count:  2,484

THIS IS WHY WE NEED A SPECIAL TEAMS COACH!!!!! LEAVITT PLEASE HIRE A **** SPECIAL TEAMS COACH!!!

THIS IS WHY WE NEED A SPECIAL TEAMS COACH!!!!! LEAVITT PLEASE HIRE A **** SPECIAL TEAMS COACH!!!

Okay, Tipp.  Who do you fire?  This isn't the NFL... no way to just add another coach.

• Content Count:  6,794
  • Days Won:  22

I hope to see more TWO back sets. We need Ford out there as often as possible and Taylor needs to get more plays.

Also after watching Auburn, we BETTER have some backs to help protect Grothe's back. Their DE was beating the OT like a drum in EVERY freacking play and blind siding the KST QB.

• Content Count:  997

Just a reminder ... to hire a Special Teams Coach, we would have to fire a coach ... you are only allowed a certain number of coaches.

Each institution may employ a maximum of 12 coaches in Division I-A football. According to NCAA Bylaw 11.7.2, this limit includes one head coach, nine assistant coaches and 2 graduate assistant coaches.

As suggested in another post perhaps we need to let one of our current coaches find greener pastures.

Candidate #1

CJZEVTBNNROFBEG.20060323184414.jpg

Troy Douglas -  Assistant Coach-Safeties

I dunno for sure but having 2 secondary coaches and giving up 226 PASSING YARDS to the greatness that is the Elon Phoenix may be a problem. Maybe its me though, I may be way out of line.

Archived