• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

regarding starting with a 1-AA team

MikeG

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

Regardless of how we fared last season-- I am so happy we start off atleast against this level of opponent.

I was reminded why this is true while flipping through the images from our opener with McNeese State last year.

We started out so sloppy-- so mistake prone--- then at some point we righted the ship and took the game to the right outcome.

While I don't expect to see fumbled snaps on punts from our endzone leading to TDs against mighty Elon-- I know we need this game to make sure we are ready to play Auburn.

And smazza can argue all he wants about this game doesn't prepare us for anything-- but I disagree. Until you go out there against someone else-- you are probably going to make some mistakes here and there. While UL destroyed their opponent--- I will hope for similar results. Nothing I saw at practice makes me think we aren't ready to go but that was the case last season too.

Just 17 hours to go

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I dont mind at all because it lets us iron out kinks and settle position battles before the season truly starts. 

• Content Count:  286
  • Days Won:  0

I dont mind at all because it lets us iron out kinks and settle position battles before the season truly starts. 

We've had 8 months to iron out kinks and settle position battles; this match up is embarrassing and is counter productive when trying to convince the naysayers that USF football deserves top 25 type respect.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

We've had 8 months to iron out kinks and settle position battles; this match up is embarrassing and is counter productive when trying to convince the naysayers that USF football deserves top 25 type respect.

I disagree with you you Bullhonkey.  Many teams play their first game against a "lesser" opponent (lower level conference) and it does not translate into anything embarrassing, IMO.  It becomes the first game of the year where the team gets a chance to see how their schemes and newer players work out against an opponent other than teammates, allow for those who need the time to recover from dings received during camp and practices. 

Take into account, also, the fact that a win over Elon will also count towards bowl eligibity.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

It's the first chance for the players to go at full speed.  It gives them a chance to get their timing down at full speed and it gives them a chnce to get the first game jitters out of their system.  It's good for the opening game.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Until last season's opener, I was not a fan of 1-AA openers.

Since we almost lost to McNeese State, I am happy we're starting with Elon as well.

Now......sticking a 1-AA team in the middle of your schedule is another matter.

• Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

I think this is an excellent plan.

It is a "preseason" game for us, a big payday for them (and a chance to visit the beaches), we all win. (well Elon will lose the game!!)

With our OOC schedule (Auburn, NC, UCF, add FAU & Elon) it's enough to make others take notice.  The upgrade of one of the UCF, FAU, Elon matchups could be argued would make for more national pub.  That can come in future years.

The 1-AA (I mean Championship Series) teams need these games to play also.

• Content Count:  7,890

its not like we are the only ones doing this almost all I-A teams do the same its our preseason. I agree I like it I don’t want to think what would have happened last year if we started out with UCF,FIU, or NC. This game gives us a chance to knock off some rust while getting a win towards bowl eligibility

• Content Count:  1,797

Hey there aren't that many Buffalos at the I-A level.  Not everyone can open against sisters of the poor Bulls from NY.  So you've got to schedule a I-AA.  I just hope we don't schedule a Murray State level I-AA anytime soon.  My gosh, Louisville's receivers were so wide open in that game, I could have thrown the TD passes.

Normal

• Content Count:  4,501

Just wondering out loud, how does Buffalo recruit ?  Hey guys, come play with one the worst college football teams in D-I, year in and year out we almost always are close to the bottom.

Archived