• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF on CNN...

Economics_Nerd82

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Not all news is good about USF these days... I just flipped on CNN and saw them talking about "South Florida" and figured it was about the Miami area. I come to find out they are talking about "the university of South Florida" and talking about those two Egyptian men that had student visas and were ''attending'' USF.

Anybody else see this?

• Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

I didn't see the segment on TV that you're talking about, but I have seen story after story in my inbox when I am e-mailed stories that contain "University of South Florida."  >:(

Egyptian students indicted on explosives charges in Florida

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/31/florida.explosives.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

• Content Count:  294

So what? If it turns out these charges are true; what does it say about USF?

It says NOTHING. There are evil people everywhere in society. To say it reflects poorly on this school is just wrong. And it's an idea that is perpetuated by the incredibly small minded.

USF doesn't create terrorists, they educate people. Some very fine people from what I see. That's what universities do.

Those same small minds call USF Terrorist U. Really? That's interesting. By that logic Virginia Tech must be "Mass Murderer U".

Whose going to be the first to say that to the good people of VT? Not me. I reject it, as should anyone with common sense.

The truth is that these people victimize others. Included in their list of victims are their friends, their families and the people and institutions that put their trust in them, never knowing the things they are capable of.

If these two USF student's are guilty, then our community, and that includes USF, is grateful to be rid of them.  

So what? If it turns out these charges are true; what does it say about USF?

It says NOTHING. There are evil people everywhere in society. To say it reflects poorly on this school is just wrong. And it's an idea that is perpetuated by the incredibly small minded.

USF doesn't create terrorists, they educate people. Some very fine people from what I see. That's what universities do.

Those same small minds call USF Terrorist U. Really? That's interesting. By that logic Virginia Tech must be "Mass Murderer U".

Whose going to be the first to say that to the good people of VT? Not me. I reject it, as should anyone with common sense.

The truth is that these people victimize others. Included in their list of victims are their friends, their families and the people and institutions that put their trust in them, never knowing the things they are capable of.

If these two USF student's are guilty, then our community, and that includes USF, is grateful to be rid of them. 

I agree with you that we should be glad we have gotten rid of them, but, whether you like it or not it reflects badly on the University.

• Content Count:  280

E_Nerd is right. While nobody will go so far as to appoint us terrorist U, and it would be unfair for them to do so...it doesn't take that much to realize that when USF and terrorist is mentioned in the same article it's not exactly a good thing. Your VT analogy would be stronger if that was other than the first time it has ever happened at that school. Unfortunately for us, this is the second time that we're going through this crap. Look at the opening line of the blog below from Debbie Schlussel. Now if you were just any ole person, not knowing too much about USF other than what you see in the press what would be your first thought?

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2007/08/breaking_megahe.html

So much for the FBI warnings that University of Sami's (Al-Arian) Friends a/k/a University of South Florida students Ahmed Abda Sherf Mohamed and Yousef Samir Megahed--the Smiling Mugshot "Just Fireworks" Muslim terrorists--were not terrorists.

I'm not saying its right, but unfortunately it's the reality.

• Content Count:  2,511

The sad fact is that a lot of people that sit around and watch TV all day - including cable news channels - did not graduate from any college, and many were lucky to even finish high school.  Most of them have no clue about university life, or even have a clue of all the positive impacts of a university.

Even college graduates will fall for the "Terrorist U" horse droppings when some TV or radio talk show blow hard repeats it ad nauseam.  That jerk Bubba the Love Sponge did it years ago with Sami Al-Arian, even though USF had no legal basis to fire him at the time, and the FBI spent over a decade investigating him and could not press charges against him (They did later).  In a twist of fate, Bubba was fired for an on-air pig castration stunt on his show, and he had to kiss Howard Stern's ring to get on Howard's Sirius network, which is funny because Bubba claimed for years that he would beat Howard Stern's ratings.

Archived