• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can we run up the score higher than Louisville?

Who will be the Big East's top scorer in their opening game  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  358
  • Days Won:  0

So far, Louisville leads with their win over Murray State.

Louisville 73-10

Cincinnati 59-3

Rutgers 38-3

USF ?

WVU ?

Pitt ?

Conn. ?

Syracuse ?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  701

who did cincy play?

CAN the Bulls score that much... absolutely.

WILL the Bulls TRY to score that much... not on your life.

It will be more like Rutgers... 38-3... because CJL will be giving the ball to the RBs a lot... and when you run a lot the game clock doesn't stop as often, meaning you have fewer plays..

Now, consider U of L had a punt returned for a touchdown, and three "drives" of 1 or 2 plays for TDs....  that's 28 points in less than 80 SECONDS of game time... Rutgers had four "drives" of less than two minutes each... Cincy had a pick-6 on defense, and took the ball away 6 times...

Can USF's special teams or defense score? Sure.  Can we be +4 or +5 on turnover margin? Maybe.  Can Mike Ford break a 60-yard TD run? Will CJL let Grothe throw down the field to Taurus Johnson for an 80-yard TD? Maybe.

The game plan will be a heck of a lot of running, especially on first or 2nd down, with some short, controlled throws here or there... USF's offense looks more like West Coast than the air-it-out attack from Kragthorpe or the "Cat-Attack"...

Oh, and with Brohm and Rice needing extra stats for their Heisman race... their coaches left them in a heck of a lot longer than they should have.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

We can, but we won't.

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

The real question would be, why would we want to?

Watching that games was just sad. Murray State was clearly outmatched. Remember this is the same Murray State that went 1-10 last year in I-AA. I couldn't believe that Brohm was still in until about mid-way through the thir quarter and that theycame out of the half throwing the ball 40 yards downfield to Douglas. I know you can't go out there and not play, but running between the tackles and getting off the field as quickly as possible is the way to go when you have a blood bathon your hands. Kragthorpe is lucky that Peanut Whitehead (who was still in late in the 4th quarter), Brohm, Douglas, Urrutia, and their stud TE weren't injured in the second half. Typical Louisville.....running up the score. I don't think it helps confidence either. Rather I think it creates a false sense of bravado and can do more harm than good.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Totally classless play IMO. If Louisville had done that to Miami or some other decent BCS program, then that's making a statement (especially after Miami stomped on their logo). But to do this to a totally helpless I-AA team is just a lack of class.

• Content Count:  358

Totally classless play IMO. If Louisville had done that to Miami or some other decent BCS program, then that's making a statement (especially after Miami stomped on their logo). But to do this to a totally helpless I-AA team is just a lack of class.

I totally agree.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/scoreboards/2007/08/30/36064_viewcast_recap.html

By the time Brohm put a towel over his shoulder 20 seconds into the second half, the Cardinals led 56-10.

Was this really necessary?  Why didn't they pull Brohm out after the 1st quarter?  They were obviously going to win, so did they really need to run up the score (73-10 final) that much?  Is this just Brohm trying to reach Heisman worthy stats?

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Yeah they showed a real lack of class IMO.  It was like watching an adult beat up a 10 yr old. 

• Content Count:  7,494
  • Days Won:  10

I totally agree.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/scoreboards/2007/08/30/36064_viewcast_recap.html

By the time Brohm put a towel over his shoulder 20 seconds into the second half, the Cardinals led 56-10.

Was this really necessary?  Why didn't they pull Brohm out after the 1st quarter?  They were obviously going to win, so did they really need to run up the score (73-10 final) that much?  Is this just Brohm trying to reach Heisman worthy stats?

Why didn't they pull Brohm?  Two words:  'Heisman Trophy'  

You'll see extraordinary means to augment statistics so that thier chances to win will improve.  Doing a 'ROTS' on a weak opponent is just a byproduct.   Unfortunately, the notarity and benefits from having a player win this will override the honorable thing to do in many cases.

Archived