• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

West Virginia's duo of White, Slaton expect big things in 2007

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

black_logo_243x41.gif

West Virginia's duo of White, Slaton expect big things in 2007

Aug. 6, 2007

By Dennis Dodd

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer  

One is quiet, with a blossoming 'fro that looks like it ended up on the wrong end of a blow dryer. The other dresses nattily and talks constantly.

"What gets me going?" the chatty one said. "Anything. A hard hit, a good block, a nice run, a big play."

"I try to be on my own," the 'fro added. "That's my biggest thing."

That's the thing about this season's most talented pair of Heisman-candidate teammates. Who knew they were opposites? For the two years they've been together on the field at West Virginia, the best lesson we learned was: Don't blink.

As different as Pat White and Steve Slaton are off the field, only .05 separates them on it. White is the amazingly elusive left-handed quarterback with 4.41 speed. Slaton, the nation's No. 4 rusher last season, is one blink faster at 4.36.

Both operate in an offense that makes blinks seem like wasted lubrication of the cornea.

"I think Steve and Patrick know they're part of something bigger than themselves," coach Rich Rodriguez.

Big as in championship for the Mountaineers. Big as in a possible Heisman for one of them. Big as in proving who is the biggest slacker. The pair takes their competition to a weird level.

"Bam!" Slaton shoves his cell phone in White's face. On it is his personal high score of 1,254 in Jawbreaker, a cellie arcade game.

"What's your average?" White counters. Of course the quarterback (433) has the tailback (367) beat.

"Look, we're competitive right now," said Slaton, explaining that laidback doesn't mean passive. "We'll lay on the ground and see who can get up the fastest."

Be warned, those who are 'Neer-sighted. By definition, Heisman teammates are going to split votes. Only Angelo Bertelli (Notre Dame, 1943), Doc Blanchard (Army, 1945), Glenn Davis (Army, 1946), Johnny Rodgers (Nebraska, 1972) and Reggie Bush (USC, 2005) have beaten out a teammate who finished in the top four of Heisman voting.

Tillman's Take

Spencer Tillman, who is the lead studio analyst for College Football Today, CBS Television Network's pre-game studio show, gives his Heisman candidates.

1. John David Booty: An embarrassment of riches at mission-critical skill positions makes him a lock if he stays healthy.

2. Darren McFadden: With or without the "Wildcat" formation, it will be tougher this time around without a vertical passing game. The spread attack will only take you so far. Make no mistake, though, he is the real deal!

3. Colt Brennan: With the "Hurry Up" rules wiped away, his numbers will be gaudier than ever.

4. Ray Rice: Passing game must improve to loosen defenses. If not, he'll see too many eight- and nine-man fronts to duplicate last year's numbers.

5. Brian Brohm: With quality receivers and a touchdown machine at running back (Anthony Allen 13 TDs in 2006), he should finish in the top three. Won't miss a beat as new coach Steve Kragthorpe resisted making significant changes in terminology.

Of those four, only Bertelli and Blanchard played on a team that finished No. 1 in the AP poll.

Last year, the Heisman label was a curse for "The Derby City Duo." Louisville's Brian Brohm was injured in the middle of the season. Tailback Michael Bush didn't make it through the first game, breaking his leg.

This season, White (fourth in last year's voting) and Slaton might not end up the freshest Heisman meat in their own conference. Brohm and Rutgers' Ray Rice will also start the season high on most lists.

"I don't know how you get tagged or labeled Heisman candidates," Rodriguez said. "We have two guys who are highly productive and we expect them to be better."

That's where the championship talk comes in.

If Slite, er, Whaton are better this season, look out.

White was the Big East Offensive Player of the Year becoming the first league quarterback to run and throw for 1,000 yards. Slaton was an All-American with 1,744 yards who was second in all-purpose yards.

Neither was a slam dunk star -- at least at West Virginia -- coming out of high school. Not many schools projected White as a quarterback out of Daphne, Ala. In fact, he was drafted by the Los Angeles Angels in the fourth round out of high school and again in June.

"After watching one game of him in high school, I thought he was perfect for our system," Rodriguez said.

Slaton was snatched away from Maryland in one of the greatest recruiting coups in Big East history.

"In camp, sometimes you can tell a freshman, they don't know what the hell they're doing," Rodriguez said. "Steve was running in circles but he was really, really fast. I can remember his first play as a starter versus Virginia Tech. He was tossed the ball, then dropped the ball, then reversed directions. It was the most spectacular six-yard run you've ever seen."

They play in arguably the most powerful spread offense in the country. Rodriguez specializes in playing quick and hard. Defenses get worn down both chasing the pair and taking the pounding of the running game. White, though, has a surprisingly powerful arm on a frame so thin, (6-foot-2, 185 pounds). Slaton simply has the best acceleration (think 0-to-60 in under four seconds) in college football.

For all his fabulousness, Slaton's two fumbles on consecutive snaps in the Louisville game might have been the difference in the 2006 season. He already had been playing with a sore right wrist. That caused him to use his left hand to carry the ball at times. The game turned when Slaton took a helmet on his funny bone and was unable to feel his hand.

"If I had a chance to go back, I would have pulled myself out of there a little earlier," Slaton said. "I definitely think we would have won the game."

White himself was banged up at the end of the season. Had he thrown one more pass and qualified for NCAA statistics, White would have finished in the top 10 in pass efficiency.

So why are these bruised prodigies figuring on a national championship? They are committed. Slaton is committed to getting his degree, even if it takes his two remaining years of eligibility. White wants to battle more than his teammate for hardware.

"I don't feel that anybody is better than us," White said. "If I did, I wouldn't be here. I haven't played my best yet."

Preseason Heisman top 10

1. Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas: No. 2 in Heisman voting last season. No other team has this kind of dual-threat (tailback, quarterback).

2. Steve Slaton, RB West Virginia: Does he even need an offensive line?

3. John David Booty, QB USC: The recent history of USC senior quarterbacks is, uh, good.

4. Brian Brohm, QB Louisville: If the QB stays healthy, the Cardinals will get their second consecutive Big East title.

5. Patrick White, QB West Virginia: Left-hander is an underrated thrower.

6. Colt Brennan, QB Hawaii: Dare we suggest the possibility of 60 touchdown passes?

7. Ian Johnson, RB Boise State: From Statue of Liberty to the altar. Will married life slow down the Fiesta Bowl hero?

8. Ray Rice, RB Rutgers: He's bigger, which means Rutgers is better.

9. Michael Hart, RB Michigan: He's p.o.'d about the way the season ended. The Big Ten better duck and cover.

10. P.J. Hill, RB Wisconsin: Bret Bielema just yells, "Next!" for his next star tailback.

Link

Archived