• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Aesthetic Pet Peeves of USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone else absolutely dread the smell of the library? I don't know if it's mold, or mildewed books, or something worse but I hated going in there- and I was a library science major!

Sherrie

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I've never noticed the smell at the library... perhaps that's a bad sign for me! I do recall the differing temperatures of the library... third floor is freezing and the 4th floor is like the seventh level of Hell.

Does anyone else absolutely dread the smell of the library? I don't know if it's mold, or mildewed books, or something worse but I hated going in there- and I was a library science major!

Sherrie

It's most likely the books... the combination of the way new and old books smell with a humid (mold/mildew) environment.

A lot of libraries smell like that... at least that was my impression.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Oh, man, no kidding. USF TV commercials are horrendous. The ones that have come on during away football games need some serious updating.

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307

I hate how all those commercials have those soft images, like they filmed them in someone's dream.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923

A new large library built in the center of campus using red brick and green accents to be the centerpiece of the campus.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  400

this may seem petty, but how about more trees on campus in general?  the area i'm talking about is the quad/lawn between the chemistry/NES buildings and the engineering/theater buildings.. just west of the MLK plaza.. hell, we need more trees all over the **** place.. i dont know how much baby trees cost, but i'm sure they arent that much.  in like 5 yrs or so, they can really give our campus a lot of shade and give our campus a more wooded feel... it would also feel a lot more "busy", instead the largest stretches of open lawn overlooking ugly and outdated buildings.. i guess the trees would "hide" the buildings from afar.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

this may seem petty, but how about more trees on campus in general?  the area i'm talking about is the quad/lawn between the chemistry/NES buildings and the engineering/theater buildings.. just west of the MLK plaza.. hell, we need more trees all over the **** place.. i dont know how much baby trees cost, but i'm sure they arent that much.  in like 5 yrs or so, they can really give our campus a lot of shade and give our campus a more wooded feel... it would also feel a lot more "busy", instead the largest stretches of open lawn overlooking ugly and outdated buildings.. i guess the trees would "hide" the buildings from afar.

I agree that trees would be nice, howerver, remember that in 10 years time, much of the open space will soon be occupied by new buildings. So I can stand the open space for a while to save the landscaping money for when it's really needed.

If there was one spot I can think of that really needs some landscaping, it's the lake by Castor Hall. The "beach" is just horrible and they need to do something to the lake to make it stand out. I don't know, maybe light the fountain at night, with alternating green and gold.

schum-green-high.jpg

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  280

Hey Bullwark, if you don't mind I'm going to respond to a post you made in the library thread, mainly because my response veered off into talking about Cooper...

I would love to see a large well done Library built in the center of campus as a centerpiece or focal point for the campus.  Then remodel Cooper, that is an ugly building inside and out.

Definitely agree about the library, however I think the new future honors college will be the the signature building on campus. I think I read that somewhere. Can't wait for those renderings to come out.

About Cooper...Not another dollar needs to be sunk into that pile unless it's to tear it down. I really don't see how it can be renovated at all. What kills me the most about cooper is that this building houses tons of classes for incoming freshmen students. I remember thinking on my first day of classes back in '02, "This is college?" Not a great way to boost morale for so many eager, excited, incoming college students. I guess you can be cute, and think of it as a rite of passage for all bulls, but it's still kind of sad when your high school was ten times nicer than the new building you'll be spending most of your time in as a freshmen.

Hey Bullwark, if you don't mind I'm going to respond to a post you made in the library thread, mainly because my response veered off into talking about Cooper...

I would love to see a large well done Library built in the center of campus as a centerpiece or focal point for the campus.  Then remodel Cooper, that is an ugly building inside and out.

Definitely agree about the library, however I think the new future honors college will be the the signature building on campus. I think I read that somewhere. Can't wait for those renderings to come out.

About Cooper...Not another dollar needs to be sunk into that pile unless it's to tear it down. I really don't see how it can be renovated at all. What kills me the most about cooper is that this building houses tons of classes for incoming freshmen students. I remember thinking on my first day of classes back in '02, "This is college?" Not a great way to boost morale for so many eager, excited, incoming college students. I guess you can be cute, and think of it as a rite of passage for all bulls, but it's still kind of sad when your high school was ten times nicer than the [glow=yellow,2,300]new building[/glow] you'll be spending most of your time in as a freshmen.

I think I found a flaw in your argument.  Cooper Hall has to be more than 40 years old... not a "new" building by any means.

Moreover, USF only has about 5,000 freshmen each year... and accepts far more transfers from other schools who don't have to take Freshman English or other "Gordon Rule" courses.

Is the building terrible?  Yup.  It just doesn't have quite impact you might think.