• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowl Game At Trop A Possibility

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Published: Jul 18, 2007

NEWPORT, R.I. - Big East Conference and Tampa Bay Devil Rays officials have had discussions about starting a Big East bowl game at Tropicana Field in 2010.

"It's pretty serious on both sides," Big East associate commissioner Nick Carparelli Jr. said Tuesday from the Big East's media days meeting. "Common sense-wise the Devil Rays have an empty building in December and January, so it would be great for them.

"All our coaches recruit in Florida, and Florida is a great destination for a bowl game. We're talking to them to pull all the entities together in Tampa Bay."

Rays president Matt Silverman said the team has had preliminary conversations with the Big East and the next step is to have "more candid" talks.

"We certainly are interested in bringing events of such prominence to St. Petersburg and Tropicana Field," Silverman said. "Tropicana Field has hosted a Final Four, and a major bowl game would be a major addition to our roster."

Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese said the league's current bowl contracts expire after the 2009 season, so the earliest a St. Petersburg bowl could occur would be 2010.

"As always, we stand ready to assist our community teammates, USF and the Devil Rays, in evaluating any future championship-hosting opportunity that could provide a win for this area," Tampa Bay Sports Commission executive director Rob Higgins said.

Archived