• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Really... Where are all the students?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I think we have to remember that students here at USF, for the most part, didn't come here as a result of sports. What I mean by that, is that USF hasn't won a NC, BE title, C-USA title, or anything of that magnitude. These kinds of things influence high school students as to where they want to attend and, as it is now, all of these sports fans have decided to attend UF, FSU, UM, and probably schools like Auburn and Alabama.

The cure? Time...... Time or a BCS title next year. Which ever comes first.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

You know i could go on an on about how much this was simply the exec branch help Aguire, or how i wanted to ask Harison questions and he had to leave the room aguire was in. Thats not cronyism is it? Knowing of a student A&S funded idea before students then taking adavntage of it is it? and he was not the only one and i agree with you, for the most part. But the one thing i will remind you is SG represents students.  

As far as a better system, even if i were to give SG the benefit of the doubt, SG refused to change procedure for the second day which showed they were aware was what happeing.

As far as the organization bs, was that the feminist org you were hoping for? what organizations where you hoping for other than greeks?

As far as the oracle you say one thing they print it and then SG says they got it wrong twice! How does the oracle staff sleep at night changing facts to pull a fast one on those they inform.

I apriciate your last comment but you might want to ask those who proposed it. Or were you told somthing else?

The exec branch (i.e.: Frank, Faran, me, others) didn't "help" Charlie.  Did someone in the Senate leak it to him?  Maybe, but I don't know that for sure.  It WAS PUBLIC RECORD, as the project had to be approved by the Senate.  And who said I wasn't involved with it?  By the second day, honestly the same mistake happened.  People did not think that many students would come back.  It is as simple as that.  Charlie DID NOT get any more info than ANYONE else.  Seriously.  Nor was he the only one that did that.  Other groups did the same thing, just not on the scale Charlie did.

The feminist org?  Do your HW...  the lragest group on campus is the Black Student Union (800-1000+?), then I think the College Republicans (400+), etc...  We have A LOT of student involved in organizations, and they are the ones that come out often.  In all, we have over 400 or so orgs.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/StudentActivities/stu_org_list.asp?PrimaryCategory=All&SecondaryCategory=All&FormSubmitted=Yes&FormErrors=No

Needless to say... you are changing this thead to be a hate bash on SG.  Bringing up the ticket sales is fine... but the intent was to, like I said before:

1) to get as many students to travel as possible (college experiance)

2) to install a want to travel and attend athletic events which will assist in the building of our athletic program (the quota).  

Now, I am going to drop this little conversation.  We should get back to looking at ways to IMPROVE student attendance, which was my intent in creating this thead.  Not to mention, I need to go to the office now.  I know, even if I am, in your eyes I won't be doing anything productive.

Good day.

I would imagine the number from USF comes from card-swipes. The number in the student section or hanging out at the end-zone could be much larger, given that there is probably a quantity of non-students who prefer that environ.  ;)

Here is what I find problematic with this explanation, according to the list here are the past two years attendence:

2005 - 7,527

2006 - 4,773

To me it is obvious that the section was much better attended this year then last yet it shows a drop of nearly 3,000 students (almost in half) So then we have to assume we all of a sudden got 3,000+ non students (nearly the turnout of the students themselves) into that section? I just find that really hard to believe....a mistake in reporting one of those two years seems a much more plausable explanation.

I agree, something is not right.  

But, overall.... what methods (other than the team winning a title, getting an OCS, or "flyers") can be implimented?  From any standpoint... SG, Athletic, University?

Ideas?  

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

I agree it seemed to me that we had better student support in the stands this year over last one. Only thing I could say is that maybe student attendance at the WV,UCF game caused a difference in the avg,

Remember in 2005 we only had 5 home games so those two games + Famu could have affected avg. This past year our home schedule did not have games like those 3 in 2005 that affected avg plus we had 6 home games

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

One thing I will point out the Top THREE years of student attendance are in the last four years only our losing season did not make it.

2005- #1

2003- #2

2006-#3

So if you look at it in 4 years increments, student support has increased. I expect 2007 will be among top 3

One thing I will point out the Top THREE years of student attendance are in the last four years only our losing season did not make it.

2005- #1

2003- #2

2006-#3

So if you look at it in 4 years increments, student support has increased. I expect 2007 will be among top 3

Good point.  I know it has A LOT to do with the "winning season."  Just look at what happened in 2005 when we were looking at beating WVU (before the Uconn mess).  

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Ws = BnS

Is it possible to ticket people for not going to the game and taking up parking spaces? It would solve two problems. Students not going and earn a little money in the process. ;)

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Face it, sportsfans. The number one activity between the ages

of 18-21 is the mating game. Unless you have a party (see

endzone comments), there's very few students that are going to

live, eat, sleep and breathe USF athletics.

Have you seen the amount of ASS at football games? Cmon man, that's a stupid statement.

As far as the party thing, THAT is an astute comment. THAT is the issue. The students that have never attended NEED to know that a football game is a "party atmosphere". Not once have I witnessed a 1st time student come to a game and not want to come back. Not once.

You have to convince the party goers to have START their saturday night party going at Raymond James.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,745
  • Days Won:  3

Face it, sportsfans. The number one activity between the ages

of 18-21 is the mating game. Unless you have a party (see

endzone comments), there's very few students that are going to

live, eat, sleep and breathe USF athletics.

Have you seen the amount of ASS at football games? Cmon man, that's a stupid statement.

As far as the party thing, THAT is an astute comment. THAT is the issue. The students that have never attended NEED to know that a football game is a "party atmosphere". Not once have I witnessed a 1st time student come to a game and not want to come back. Not once.

You have to convince the party goers to have START their saturday night party going at Raymond James.

What's the stupid part? If the only way to get students to come to the games is the promote the party atmosphere, then maybe - just maybe - that's what needs to be promoted. Forget the game...forget the opponet...come on for the hook up? That's pretty much your take, right?  ;)

Bottom Line: what difference, really, does it make whether or not students show up to watch the game or party for three hours. It boosts attendance figures. Once you get past student-land, that's where the tough marketing will come in. You have to sell contributions and season tickets. I think we waste a lot of keyboarding effort on here - complaining that they're not sportsfans first and foremost. Face it...most are not. If tickets weren't "free" (in the subjective sense), I guarantee the 'student section' would be considerably less populated.