• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Syracuse's new logo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Syracuse's new logo, thanks to Nike

SUweb.jpg   Syracuse Orange

They are no longer the Orangemen, they are the Syracuse Orange.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

From ESPN.COM

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Say goodbye to the Orangemen -- and the Orangewomen.

From now on, Syracuse University's athletic teams will be known simply as the Orange and have the same logo, an interlocking SU.

Syracuse expects using just one logo to strengthen the school's identity.

"We are the only school in the country that has orange as its official color. We want to accentuate that fact," director of athletics Jake Crouthamel said Tuesday at a press conference. He noted that Texas and Tennessee have a substantial amount of white to go with the orange in their uniforms.

The announcement came after two years of consultations with Nike, which supplies uniforms for men's and women's basketball, men's lacrosse, and football. All 21 of Syracuse's athletic teams will use the new mark.

"It standardizes what we do," Crouthamel said. "We don't have to order 14 different logos. We've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 19 or 20 logos that we've used on athletic apparel. Where's the consistency?"

The new logo will incorporate a consistent color palette, using a brighter orange than the current version and a darker blue. The school's colors have been orange and blue since 1890.

"We looked through media guides, and we found that the university has not had one single athletic logo since 1870, when it was founded," said Sue Edson, director of athletic communications. "It's pretty important to us."

Especially for one reason.

"This is about identity," said longtime equipment manager Kyle Fetterly, a member of the committee of coaches and school officials who made the decision. "Every time I see a navy blue hat with a yellow block 'M' on it, I know it's Michigan. Every time I see a red hat with a cream-colored 'A' on it, I know it's Alabama.

"Everybody I talk to around town refers to us at SU, so why isn't it SU?" It's about time."

The football team will be the first to showcase the new logo and colors in the fall, and Crouthamel said the large 'S' over the basketball on the hoops uniforms would disappear next season.

"We will eventually get into the new look," Crouthamel said. "It's going to take some amount of time. We'll work our way through it."

Nike also has done similar work for the University of Oregon, the University of Washington, Miami, and Kentucky.

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711
  • Days Won:  0

"We are the only school in the country that has orange as its official color. We want to accentuate that fact," director of athletics Jake Crouthamel said Tuesday at a press conference. He noted that Texas and Tennessee have a substantial amount of white to go with the orange in their uniforms.

What about the blue?  

Dumb idea by the way.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  49

SCBullsfan: I take it that you showed us the new logo. Ihave not seen it yet. Its been all over the news up here, but noone has actually shown the logo. If thats it, I like it.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

They are no longer the Orangemen, they are the Syracuse Orange.

Great. Score another victory for political correctness. God knows it was just soooooooo sexist to refer to the male teams as "men" and the female teams as "women."

The question is, when will Syracuse be forced to drop the name "Orange" because it's racist to imply that one color is better than another?

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Syracuse is the only school in the US with Orange as an official color? What about Tenn., Clemson or Miami? Did he mean in their name?

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

they need wins on the football field logo or no logo

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

SCBullsfan: I take it that you showed us the new logo. Ihave not seen it yet. Its been all over the news up here, but noone has actually shown the logo. If thats it, I like it.

Thats it.  You can click on the link next to it for the story.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

It looks like an "SJ"

That logo is butt.  As in Butt Ugly.