• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

...Grothe's promise was evident early (Times)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,554
  • Days Won:  29

Leavitt says Grothe's promise was evident early

By Wire services

Published October 19, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - There's certainly has to be someone out there who's surprised by what USF quarterback Matt Grothe has accomplished this season. Coach Jim Leavitt sure isn't.

Since coming off the bench against McNeese State on Sept. 2, Grothe has passed for 1,388 yards, nine touchdowns and is the team's leading rusher with 460 yards and seven touchdowns.

Leavitt says he saw plenty potential in Grothe back before the Bulls' bowl game on Dec. 31.

"Before the bowl game, I thought this guy might have the ability to play," Leavitt said. "I even told him during the bowl week that he was going to get a great shot during the spring.

"Am I surprised by Matt, honestly? No. I might have been surprised if you had asked me this his freshman year. Right now, he's doing about as good as he's supposed to do."

Guard update: Leavitt said guard Jake Griffin would travel with the team, but is a long shot to play Sunday at Cincinnati.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  2

Man ET, I thought that the Times was quoting you.