• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

On Campus Stadium Questions Answered

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080
  • Days Won:  0

Yet Another OCS Thread... Okay... To catch up a lot of the newbies...

1.  Location

a. The long range plan for USF has a 'placeholder' for a stadium covering the eastern most parking lots of the Sun Dome. The two western lots (the ones along Maple directly across from the college of business) will be replaced with parking garages.  Most campuses with stadiums have parking all across the campus -- so you can expect that when USF builds its OCS, there will be people parking at the College of Medicine and walking across campus.

b. University Mall is not really an option because Glimcher, the current owner of the mall, is selling the Mall as part of a two-mall package.  Despite the clientele and location issues, University Mall remains highly profitable for both Glimcher and the individual stores therein.  Bear in mind that Sears, Dillards, Macy's, and Burlington Coat Factory all own their locations as well as some parking areas, which could affect any sale of the Mall.

c. The area north of Fletcher - between the Claw (golf course) and Riverfront Park is owned by USF; however, it is all wetlands.  Current environmental regulations would make building the stadium in that location significantly cost prohibitive.  It would probably be cheaper to buy the mall.

Based on information I aquired from a very knowledgeable high level source....

a.  Don't look for that location to be used for a football stadium.

b.  Future aquisiton of the mall property is not out of the long range picture.

c.  That wetland is not a likely choice either..... there is suitable land near the campus that is under consideration for future aquisition(s).

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sun Dome lot location is the OFFICIAL location of a potential future on-campus stadium.  Even at that it is still TENTATIVE, because the long range plan is reviewed and changed by the University.

For example, several years ago, the Patel Center was no where near the drawing board... then the Patels donated a boatload of cash, and the University found space for their Center.

However, until something official and public comes out, there can't be any other location.

A lot of the undeveloped land across Fowler Avenue is owned by Hillsborough County -- it's zoned industrial.  The land used to be Henderson Field, used for bomb training during World War II.  After the war, the federal government sold the land to the County for $1 -- and the county planned it to be a major industrial area (hence the Schlitz-now-Yeungling and now-defunct-Busch breweries, the Pepsi bottling plant, the Reynolds alumninum, the Johnson Controls, and other industrial companies located there).  It is entirely possible that Hillsborough County would sell the land to the University in the future.  At the very least, it would be less expensive to purchase than the Mall.

I would add one last point, other than the environmentally sensitive lands, nothing can really be considered "out" of the long range picture.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

The Sun Dome lot location is the OFFICIAL location of a potential future on-campus stadium.  Even at that it is still TENTATIVE, because the long range plan is reviewed and changed by the University.

For example, several years ago, the Patel Center was no where near the drawing board... then the Patels donated a boatload of cash, and the University found space for their Center.

However, until something official and public comes out, there can't be any other location.

A lot of the undeveloped land across Fowler Avenue is owned by Hillsborough County -- it's zoned industrial.  The land used to be Henderson Field, used for bomb training during World War II.  After the war, the federal government sold the land to the County for $1 -- and the county planned it to be a major industrial area (hence the Schlitz-now-Yeungling and now-defunct-Busch breweries, the Pepsi bottling plant, the Reynolds alumninum, the Johnson Controls, and other industrial companies located there).  It is entirely possible that Hillsborough County would sell the land to the University in the future.  At the very least, it would be less expensive to purchase than the Mall.

I would add one last point, other than the environmentally sensitive lands, nothing can really be considered "out" of the long range picture.

So we would just be adding the rest of the airbase to our collective.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

How about across Fowler Ave?.... Dare I say "Busch Gardens Stadium?"

It's easier for the students to get to RayJay than it would be to try and have them cross Fowler Ave .... unless they build several more of the MOSI type pedestrian bridges.    ;)

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

How about across Fowler Ave?.... Dare I say "Busch Gardens Stadium?"

It's easier for the students to get to RayJay than it would be to try and have them cross Fowler Ave .... unless they build several more of the MOSI type pedestrian bridges.    ;)

That's what traffic cops are for.....

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Well, if the county isn't doing anything with it.... But, finding land for the stadium isn't the problem, finding the $$$ is the problem. I seriously don't mind playing in MOSI stadium, Busch Stadium, or Hillsborough Couty Industrial Park Stadium. So long as it's green, gold, and 100% full!

But, I guess that is easier said then done.

:GoBulls

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Better yet, why don't we just switch to arena bowl football and play in the sundome.  :D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

can this thread be attached to the one pinned at the top? I thought that was the whole reason for pinning it in the first place.