• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Backyard Brawl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

WVU does hold a tie breaker with VT as we beat them 28-7.

The problem is that rankings figure into Big East tiebreakers, even between two teams where one beat the other.

If WVU ended up tied atop the league with only VT (highly unlikely), or Pitt (plausible), even if WVU won the game they'd need to be within five spots in the rankings, or the other team would go.

Multi-way ties are resolved by rankings too -- even if WVU swept the teams it's in a tie with (say VT and Pitt, all at 5-2), they would need to be "ranked no lower than five spots below the highest ranked team in the (VT/Pitt/WVU group)."

See:

http://www.cfbnews.com/2003/Columnists/RC/Tiebreakers.htm

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  40

I just can't believe most of you guy's voted for Pitt over WVU. And, I thought I'd made friends over here.  LOL.

Morgantown will welcome you even more now!

;D

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I just can't believe most of you guy's voted for Pitt over WVU. And, I thought I'd made friends over here.  LOL.

Morgantown will welcome you even more now!

;D

the WVU fans have been great! As far as who we wanted to win I think most of us are thinking only about what would make the new big east look best as far as the bcs is concerned instead of which particular team we prefer. We finally have a chance to be in the BCS we don't want to have it ripped out from under us  :)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  138

What baffles me is that WVU isn't ranked (or they weren't heading into this game). Wins against Pitt and VT and a close but no cigar vs Miami. Sure-- they had some dumb losses early to the likes of Cinci but come on! The polls are a joke sometimes.

WVU is doing its part to try to secure the BCS bid for the Big East. So is Pitt. Syracuse has come on strong in the 2nd half of the season as well.

Amazingly Temple stayed within 1 pnt of VTraitors.

I'm darn proud of those Owls for that effort.

I'd be prouder if they had won!  :'(

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,554
  • Days Won:  29

WVU is the Beast of the East IMO this season.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Don't you have to have 9 wins to accept a BCS invite? What would happen if WVU won the Big East but finished 8-4?

WVU would have to win the Big East rightout. If WVU ties for the BE then the BCS invite will go to the highest ranked team most likely. In the same situation the BCS could choose WVU but only if WVU is within 5 spots of the team they tied with in the BCS polls. The chances are very slim that WVU will go to the BCS bowl if they tie at #1 in the BE. Unfortunately, if WVU finishes at #2 they would probably be left out of the Gator Bowl as well, as Miami, Pitt, or VTech would probably get that bid due to a higher ranking. Because of WVUs' 1-4 start earlier in the season, they are probably looking at the Continental Tire Bowl, or the insight bowl. (even if they win out the rest of the way)  :-[