• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Fenelly: "USF Dropping The Ball If It Drops UCF"

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

...And looking at the current verbals, UCF has quite a few players that are highly ranked 2 stars in Rivals and will more than likely have some of those get promoted after their senior year.

Seuss-Sneetches-StarBellyFr.jpg

Exaggerator!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

The more the press and UCF whines about this, the more steadfast I hope the administration stays in not continuing this thing ........ although I shouldn't include ALL the press. Ms Hill over in Orlando is apparently the only one with a clue.

Really, Ms. Hill's article should be posted in this thread for comparison purposes.  Compare facts and journalistic ability.

In the interest offull disclosure:

os-logo-2005-small.gif

Knights-Bulls rivalry is not a no-brainer

Published September 12, 2006

This summer Conference USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky had the nerve to say an annual series between South Florida and Central Florida was a "no-brainer."

But it's pretty brainless to not understand why an annual series with UCF is a bad deal for the Bulls, who are looking forward to this UCF game about as much as Barry Bonds is the next grand jury inquiry.

This Saturday would be the end of the UCF-USF series had Conference USA not pulled a power move and made a two-year renewal with the Golden Knights a condition of their exodus to the Big East.

I don't blame the Bulls for wanting the UCF series to be over. People around here don't seem to realize the Bulls don't need to play UCF. It's a meaningless series for the Bulls no matter how much money and local interest it generates.

The more the Bulls play UCF, the more they put their national reputation at risk.

As a member of the Big East Conference, the Bulls get to compete for the national title. No offense to UCF fans, but it's the Bulls who are sitting at the adults' table, not the Golden Knights.

Last year's success upped UCF's national profile, but the Bulls don't want to give the impression UCF is on their level -- even if there isn't a wide talent difference between the schools.

USF won't admit it, of course. But not wanting to play UCF is all about perception. Why else do you think the Bulls added Michigan State, Kansas, Indiana, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Miami to future schedules?

Those games will assuredly receive national attention and send the message the Bulls are a for-real program.

"I think that our inclusion in the Big East was a big part of that," USF athletics director Doug Woolard said of their scheduling philosophy. "It makes it beneficial for other teams in BCS conferences to play against another BCS team. I think it says really good things about the state of Florida. A lot of people want to play here because they recruit this area so much."

It is incredibly arrogant and ignorant of UCF fans to say the Bulls' reluctance to continue this series is born out of fear.

Clearly, the Bulls aren't afraid to play certain teams. If that were the case, they wouldn't have scheduled a home-and-home series with Miami and they wouldn't be going to Auburn next year.

But even if the Bulls were fearful of UCF, can you blame them? Seriously, who has more to lose on Saturday?

UCF people already know how hard it is to get from underneath the shadow of the Big Three -- Miami, Florida and Florida State. The Bulls believe they should be just outside that pecking order.

The last thing they need is to lose to a rival from a non-BCS conference, which would only make recruiting in talent-rich Florida that much more difficult.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why UCF Coach George O'Leary basically tried to double-dog-dare USF officials into playing this game every year.

O'Leary's program has everything to gain. If it loses, it was supposed to happen. If it wins, it's on SportsCenter and the Knights have a BCS win on their resume. Not a bad tradeoff.

If O'Leary were in USF Coach Jim Leavitt's position, there is no way he would want an annual series with UCF. It would be a no-brainer.

Story Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

These guys at the Trib really need to understand what USF is trying to do in the big picture and not try to impart their shortsighted, small minded wisdom.  If things were as they wish, we'd still be in the Sunbelt conference.

Well, usfgrad84, if those future schedules come out like we think they might, what USF is trying to do is rather puzzling, wouldn't you say?  Ball State??  Buffalo??  Western Kentucky?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

Why is it puzzling to increase your presence and  exposure within the area of your own conference?  Bowling Green, KY is a little over an hour's drive to UL and a little over 2 hours hours or so to Cincinnati.  Muncie is about a 2 hours drive to UL and Cinci.

Like I said in another post, our exposure in this region doesn't hurt for BB recruiting either.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

Forget the Big Three. It's the Little Two showdown. Their players and fans deserve this. And it could only get bigger.

This quote says it all and EXACTLY why this game is a bad idea. So yippie, we push to get a rivalry and cement in the minds of all the fans, media and recruits around the nation that we are not and will never be at the level of the big three. Shoot, we're not there yet so I guess we should just give up that goal and be happy settling for second best.  ::)

So playing whipping-boys like Buffalo and Ball State won't further our status?

did I say I agree with those games? And are you saying that if we don't schedule UCF then our schedule will be loaded with those teams instead? Why don't you point to the games that are actually scheduled in the future like KU, UNC, Indiana, Mich St, Auburn, UF, Miami etc.... Instead of games that the trib speculated on? Maybe the UCF game will be preventing games with  more of those teams. From what I can see we are really starting to get some interesting teams on our schedule and none of them come with the baggage that a UCF game will have. And frankly I'd lump UCF in the same class of Buffalo (I believe UCF got crushed by Buffalo did they not?) and Ball St, they are all mid major teams that nobody outside of their particular area (maybe not even in the area) give a **** about. So aside from being close by exactly what is the appeal and how do you distinguish them from the other teams you mentioned?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

These guys at the Trib really need to understand what USF is trying to do in the big picture and not try to impart their shortsighted, small minded wisdom.  If things were as they wish, we'd still be in the Sunbelt conference.

Well, usfgrad84, if those future schedules come out like we think they might, what USF is trying to do is rather puzzling, wouldn't you say?  Ball State??  Buffalo??  Western Kentucky?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

Why is it puzzling to increase your presence and  exposure within the area of your own conference?  Bowling Green, KY is a little over an hour's drive to UL and a little over 2 hours hours or so to Cincinnati.  Muncie is about a 2 hours drive to UL and Cinci.

Like I said in another post, our exposure in this region doesn't hurt for BB recruiting either.[/

quote]

How far is Orlando again to USF?   ;D

Grand Slam!! Home Run!!!

Wow...never thought a post like that would be SOOOOOO easy!

KL

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,069
  • Days Won:  2

Why not play Buffalo?  Anyone remember the score the last time UCF played Buffalo?  Seems we should take the better of the two programs.

Has Fennely ever BEEN to a USF game?  I got a couple of balls he can drop right here...

Don't be so quick to judge.  I am sure that Fennelly and the Tribune are experts on dropped balls since they are always licking the Gators'.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,069
  • Days Won:  2

If it weren't for a large % of their fans' behavior at the game last year, I would be all for playing them semiannually.  I don't know why it needs to be played every year unless UCF gets in the Big East.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

...And looking at the current verbals, UCF has quite a few players that are highly ranked 2 stars in Rivals and will more than likely have some of those get promoted after their senior year.

Seuss-Sneetches-StarBellyFr.jpg

Exaggerator!

And a perfect example of why it's called The DUMBgeon ...

Here's what I just can't seem to get my arms around.

If we are to play UCF until, and including, the 2008 season, why is

there a sense of urgency to extend the series past that point? By that

I mean, is someone's bonus tied to getting long-term contract signed?

What difference does it make if the decision to play is made in 2008 or

in 2006? I just don't see the merits in deciding this stuff up front.

As an example...did we not have some sort of 4-game deal with BGSU?

And if I recall correctly, that was one-and-done.

Why not wait and see how things shake out in 2006, 2007 and 2008?

Please...someone in the know...explain to me the merits of committing -

either verbally or in writing - to this series. It seems to me that we

would continue to play UCF as part of our BE/CUSA obligations, so again,

it's almost like someone is panicking that this won't get done next year.

IM<HO: I don't see why we don't play this game. It seems like it is one

of the better draws (road trips aside) for the school and I'd much rather

see UCF than FAU/FIU etc.  Then again, this is meant as a hip-pocket deal.

If a better one comes along... ;)

Because games are scheduled so far in advance these days - North Carolina State in 2014 - the decision has to be made NOW if it will continue to be an ANNUAL game.

I would agree that USF can wait until 2007 or 2008 if it wants to renew the series starting back up in 2012 or beyond...

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Like I said in another post, our exposure in this region doesn't hurt for BB recruiting either.[/

quote]

How far is Orlando again to USF?   ;D

Grand Slam!! Home Run!!!

Wow...never thought a post like that would be SOOOOOO easy!

KL

It's only simple for a simple mind son.

What does this game actually do for USF.  More exposure in Central Florida?????? Big deal!!!!.  I am not opposed to the game against UCF, but I really do not see what it does for USF.  I would rather create a regular series with FAU or FIU than UCF.  At least that gives us exposure and a regular presence in South Florida.   If you are simply looking at this from a recruiting standpoint that makes more sense.  Let's be honest here, FAU and FIU started the year last year lumped in with UCF on the bottom of the football rankings.  Those teams are emerging and by the time this current deal is up, playing either of those two teams will be just as appealing to USF.  We have a lot of south Florida kids on our team and a lot of students and alums from south Florida.  As those teams get better  there is more upside for USF because of the exposure down there.

Other than the geographic relationship, what does this series do for USF?