• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Nikki Shade Named New Associate Head Volleyball Co

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Nikki Shade Named New Associate Head Volleyball Coach

Nikki Shade Named New Associate Head Volleyball Coach

TAMPA, Fla. - Newly-appointed USF head volleyball coach Claire Lessinger announced today that she will be teaming up once again with her former Florida teammate, Nikki Shade, as Shade has been named the new associate head coach of the USF volleyball team.

Shade, who played with Lessinger at the University of Florida for five seasons, comes from the University of Houston where she has served as an assistant coach for the last four years under head coach Bill Walton, making her the second USF coach to come to Tampa via Houston. Previous head coach Nancy Mueller was an assistant under Walton from 1995-98 before taking over the USF program in 1999.

Shade has also been a club team coach since 2000.

A setter for the Gators from 1993-97, Shade “quarterbacked†the Gators to three NCAA Final Four appearances (1993, 1996, 1997) and one Elite Eight appearance (1995).

After leading the SEC in assists for two seasons, she was a two-time consensus First Team all-conference selection in 1996 and 1997. She completed her collegiate career ranked fourth in assists with 3,429 and averaged 12.9 assists her last two years with the team. She once passed out 73 assists in leading UF to a 3-0 sweep of nationally-ranked UCLA. A versatile athlete, she also set the school record for block assists in a single match with 11.

In addition to her athletic accolades, Shade was a force in the classroom, earning numerous scholarships throughout her career, including the NCAA Post-graduate Scholarship in 1998. She was named to the All-SEC Academic Honor Roll in 1995, 1996 and 1997, and was a GTE CoSIDA Academic All-American in 1996 and 1997.

Prior to joining the staff at Houston, Shade worked as the Volleyball Administrative Camp Director for the University of Florida Athletic Association. In addition she served as a personal volleyball instructor. Both jobs she performed while doing post-graduate work in exercise and sports sciences at Florida.

A native of New Orleans, La., she attended Duncanville High School in Duncanville, Texas, where she led the team to a 41-1 district record during her varsity career, four-straight district championships, and was named All-State by the Texas Coaches Association.

As a club player, Shade was invited to the U.S. Junior Elite Camp where she was chosen to serve as a team captain for the Junior National Team. She played in the 1991, 1992 and 1993 Junior Olympics and was named a World Scholar-Athlete in 1993.

Shade graduated from Florida in 1998 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering Sciences with a concentration in biomedical engineering and a minor in biomechanics.

"I feel so privileged to have Nikki Shade coming to work with me,†Lessinger said. “She is easily one of the most highly touted assistant coaches in the country. She will be a vital part of taking this program to the next level. Her strengths are endless and I am thrilled about the experience she will bring to all aspects of the job. She is an extraordinary player and work horse in the office. I see us complimenting each other very well and I can not wait to get her here. Success is a direct reflection of the whole staff and USF just got better with the addition of Nikki Shade."

Florida head coach Mary Wise, who coached both Shade and Lessinger, added, “"Nikki's talents will be the perfect compliment to Claire and USF Volleyball. She has been, and will continue to be, a terrific role model for players. We are proud that any of our former players would choose coaching as a profession, and the fact the two of them will be working together, is a bonus."

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

ugh... we are becoming UF-Tampa in vollyball  :-X  I guess if you are going to form a coaching staff from one school it's a good idea to take them from one of the best vball school's in the nation  ::)

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

Schedule is out today too... guess who our first match is against :P

http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/SportEvents.asp?i=4&s=Volleyball

I have no doubt Coach Claire and her new assistant will have the team back to winning Conference titles and making deep NCAA runs very soon.  Should be a great way to kick off a Bulls career for new recruit Michelle Stalbaum from Gainesville High School.  

Just wish the FSU game wasn't on election night... can't go!!

Shameless volleyball plug... trust me, our v-ball girls wouldn't ever dream of asking The Sheriff to pipe down during a match.  It's a hecklers paradise in The Corral, and our team really does appreciate it!!  Sometimes there's 10-20 of us just riffing, and we really do get in the visitor's heads and witness spectacular mental meltdowns.  We keep it clean, but often quite funny.  It's by far the best Olympic sport to watch... I knew close to nothing about it when I started going, but now I watch it when it's on TV.  I usually get people to go the first time by saying cute babes in spandex... but they end up coming back because it really is fun.  Hope the Sun Dome decides to serve beer at volleyball games this year!

You can now resume talking incessantly about football.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

it is always fun when some of the football players make it over after practices or whatever, especially since you are sitting literally feet away from the action the players really hear EVERYTHING you say!  the USM basketball game in the Corrall was a good example!  

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

gay-tors unggg!

but these are girls and may really push vball forward.

sorry tough time hating chicks

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Well, we just need to sanitize them ( the two new coaches) when they come here. After that, they are all BULLS baby!!!

By the by   we signed another brazilian juco player from Texas. Looks like our brazilian connections keep on coming. If they are half as good as Ale and Michelle, it will be a fun season. And Collin you are right. The V ball games are awesome!!!   Reaper

And the new coach's name has a ring to it... Nikki Shade    Nikki Shade  ( try it like saying Chaka Kahn).  ;D

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

with a great name like that I think we will be ok