• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Danny Verpaele finishes 2nd to Xavier Carter

Guest bullywak

I think we need to realize not all of these times are accurate.  A lot of these times are hand held and a lot of these people are not professional at what they do.  Look at the difference between high, college and pro time do the kids get slowers or the timers more strict.  11.2 is not bad but we can not take that all into account.  Just because you can run a hundred fast does not mean muchin terms of playing football except you have straight ahead speed which is nice but does not mean everything.  Ask PeeWee what happened when they played Merritt Island in football.  They were # 3 in the country and PeeWee was held to 1 catch for like 10 yards, with Verpaele on him all night.  Also ask him about the 2 personal fouls penalties he committed for being frustrated by Verpaele over and over again.  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

Excellent comments Bullywak.  Im sure Danny is probably a pretty quick guy out of cuts also. Actually the Sheriff, Reaper, and myself met Danny after the spring game.  He was a pretty cool guy.  I'll def be pulling for him just like I was for his bro.

Guest S. Bien

WOW, what a difference from 1st to 2nd 50 tenths of a second between Xavier, and Danny.  It the 100m that's like a light year.

Actually 11.2 is just moderately fast, and that is a track time, not hand timed, district track meets are all electronic, albeit some remedial machines usually.  Xavier's speed of 11.71 is fast, and I know he can go faster, probably just cruised in once he had about a 10 head lead.  The 11.2 speed is moderately fast, assuming no head wind.  For instance Pat St. Louis had run a sub11 flat 100m in HS, as a 6-1 205lb LB.  

Actually Danny's 200m is more impressive, anything under 23seconds is fairly quick, and shows an exceptional athlete.  Judging from these two times, Danny is probably slightly faster than Kevin, with a tiny bit more burst, but not much.  Both were excellent athletes, and hitters.  Again, much like Kevin, Danny isn't going to get on the field because of his speed, more his football acumen and penchant for hitting.

Duane Moment is fast, very fast.  This class added some good speed... Chad Simpson, Moment, and TJ are all track stars.  Chambers, Williams, and Copeland also have excellent speed.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

According to Draft Scout, Kevin Verpaele only ran a 4.65, so Danny must be a lot faster than THAT.

30 Verpaele, Kevin (FS)  South Florida  FA  5-11 207  4.65

http://www.mysportsdaily.com/draftscout/college.php?college=South%20Florida&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

I posted this article previously where Danny says he can keep up with Xavier the first 20 yards, so he must have a pretty good burst of speed to be able to do THAT:

"Usually you're trying to fight for second," said Merritt Island senior Danny Verpaele, who competed against Carter in the 100 and 200. "You always want to win, but it's hard to compete when he's jogging in those tennis shoes and you're going full out. He doesn't even get sweaty before he runs. You're out there training your hardest and his comes out in his Jordans. I can hang with him for the first 20 yards in the 100, but in the 200, forget it."

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/sportstoryS0418PEEWEE.htm

Guest S.  Bien
According to Draft Scout, Kevin Verpaele only ran a 4.65, so Danny must be a lot faster than THAT.

30 Verpaele, Kevin (FS)  South Florida  FA  5-11 207  4.65

http://www.mysportsdaily.com/draftscout/college.php?college=South%20Florida&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

I posted this article previously where Danny says he can keep up with Xavier the first 20 yards, so he must have a pretty good burst of speed to be able to do THAT:

"Usually you're trying to fight for second," said Merritt Island senior Danny Verpaele, who competed against Carter in the 100 and 200. "You always want to win, but it's hard to compete when he's jogging in those tennis shoes and you're going full out. He doesn't even get sweaty before he runs. You're out there training your hardest and his comes out in his Jordans. I can hang with him for the first 20 yards in the 100, but in the 200, forget it."

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/sportstoryS0418PEEWEE.htm

I doubt it.  Those draft speeds are timed on turn, with electronics.  They are traditionally slower, and not close to track times.  Again, with Danny we are going to bet a slightly bigger, slightly faster, and slightly quicker player than Kevin.  Nothing mindnumbing, but again, the value of Danny, or Danny's chance to step on the field will be much like his brother's using their football acumen, and prowess.  When you got a guy like Duane Moment that's running a 10.89, and has run a sub10.75 100m, and a sub 22 at the 200m...that's the type of speed we have at safety.  Kenny Robinson was a track star in HS, and Javan Camon can fly, possibly one of the faster DB's on the team. How about Mike Jenkins he ran a 10.6 100m in HS, and was regional champ.  AJ Brant could fly in HS, before his knee injury he was a 200m champ...

Danny's 11.2 isn't going to turn anyone's head at USF.  Again, he's a little faster than Kevin but not enough to blow us away.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Merritt Island defensive back Danny Verpaele, the younger brother of former USF safety Kevin Verpaele, is leaning toward USF over East Carolina. Kevin said Danny is the better athlete, hands down.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/01/13/Sports/State_school_commitme.shtml

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

FWIW, yesterday's regional meet.... Despite not at 100 percent due to a turf toe injury, Carter blew away from Chambers on the back stretch in the 400 and won by 10 meters in 45.3. Chambers finished in 47.3 seconds in an event that was hand-timed due to an equipment malfunction.

Carter, an LSU football recruit, kept his hopes alive of tying a state record of nine state titles in the process; he won the 100 (10.5) and the 200 (21.33) as well. He also remains on pace to set a Florida record for four gold medals in the 400.

Guest AstroBull

I've seen Xavier run, its just not fair for most of the other kids.  He goes around 75% through most of the turn keeping up with the fastest of that group, then just goes.  It dosen't look like he is even trying.