• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Names Finalists For AD Postion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

Well now this begs the question what were you looking for?  Obviously there is no AD that's going to step down from a BCS School to go to a non-BCS school that at this point is still viewed as a directional school that scored a bigtime opportunity with the BCS.

Come on, it isn't even logical, I was shocked that more non-BCS AD's names didn't get throw-in the hat, but to expect BCS AD's to apply would be jaw dropping.  Although, maybe Neinas steered the applicants, and insured the names provided the press, and "Officially" applied were those that fit USF's criteria.  Judging from the finalists, it was obvious the criteria was they needed to be one of the Top Athletic Administrators at a solid BCS school, or an AD at a non-BCS program and achieved heightened success.   It also seems that they were looking for people with fundraising experience, and strong marketing experience.

bien am i wrong to think that this AD position at this time with all that is occuring here is one of the best AD jobs that has come up in the last 10 -15 years.

granted it may not be as secure as if NE or Miami was looking for an AD but the pieces are in place and the train is moving in the right direction.

or am i just a great fan.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

not even close... there is absolutely no reason for a BCS AD to step down from his position to take this.  Yeah there is a lot of potential, but why step down from a guarantee and take on a risky project for less pay??

as for the "one time gimmicks" most were set up to set attendance records, not just for one time efforts.  He is also the one that was trying to have a bball game on an aircraft carrier if i remember correctly.   Attendance is not a problem at all for MSU, check out their 2003 attendance, every game is in the 72k range which i assume is a sellout.  They drew 72k for La tech and Rutgers!!

http://msuspartans.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/msu-m-footbl-CumulativeStats.html

Basketball almost every game is listed at 14759, assuming thats a sellout...  http://msuspartans.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/teamcume.html

heck they were even drawing several thousand a night for WOMENS bball

http://msuspartans.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2003-2004/teamcume.html

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Spetman is/was also one of the finalists in the AD search at ECU:

Published: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 8:07AM EDT  

ECU AD search expands

By AL MYATT, Staff Writer

Incoming East Carolina chancellor Steve Ballard will become involved in the search for the athletics director's position this week, which may expand to include Mike Reinfeldt, former senior vice president and chief contract negotiator for the Seattle Seahawks.

Reinfeldt did not go through the interview process that has produced former Air Force AD Randall Spetman, South Carolina Gamecock Club director Jeff Barber and ECU interim AD Nick Floyd for Ballard's consideration.

"It's essential for East Carolina to find the best possible person for this position, and from my standpoint, Mike is definitely worthy of our pursuit," said George Koonce, a former ECU and Green Bay Packers player who is on the 14-member AD search committee.

"It's essential for East Carolina to find the best possible person for this position, and from my standpoint, Mike is definitely worthy of our pursuit," said George Koonce, a former ECU and Green Bay Packers player who is on the 14-member AD search committee.

Reinfeldt, 50, played nine NFL seasons and has administrative experience at Southern California, where he oversaw the athletics budget as well as radio and TV contract negotiations from 1987-90. He was chief financial officer of the Packers from 1990-93.

Reinfeldt earned his college degree and was a four-year starter in football at Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He got a master's degree in business administration from Houston Baptist while playing eight seasons as a free safety with the Houston Oilers.

He declined a contract extension with Seattle in March.

Ballard is concluding a personal interview with Spetman today in Kansas City, Mo., and will be in Greenville later this week to meet with Barber and Floyd.

Ballard, currently provost at Missouri-Kansas City, has indicated he will be receptive to candidates who didn't go through the search process. He is expected to assume duties at ECU by June 1.

Staff writer Al Myatt can be reached at 829-4556 or amyatt@newsobserver.com

In a poll on reflector.com here are the results for ECU AD:

Who's your choice for the next Pirate AD?

Responses: Jeff Barber, 72.01%; Nick Floyd, 11.96%; Randall Spetman, 5.71%; None of the above, 10.33%

http://www.reflector.com/sports/content/sports/ecu/;COXnetJSessionID=ANWnZ7b0Vzu2MYSWTa9t0gD4ZAtFDmrB4YCvHe1Hta0wFOIjpceu!-1849049220?urac=n&urvf=10830045832990.861680435138916

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Air Force AD quits, cites 'ego'

Command changes spur decision

By MARK FITZHENRY THE GAZETTE

Oct. 16 - Col. Randall Spetman announced Wednesday he will retire as Air Force Academy athletic director, in part because he is unhappy adjusting to a lower position in the new chain of command.

Spetman will remain as athletic director for the rest of the fall semester. If a replacement is not in place by Jan. 1, vice athletic director Brad DeAustin will run the department.

Spetman, a former football captain at the academy, has been athletic director since 1996. Until April, he reported directly to the superintendent, the highest-ranking official at the academy.

In April, Spetman lost his direct line of communication to the superintendent and reported to the commandant. The shift was part of the academy's "Agenda for Change" and was meant to address the perception that athletes received preferential treatment compared to the rest of the cadet wing.

Spetman said Superintendent Lt. Gen. John Rosa, Jr., and Commandant Brig. Gen. Johnny Weida have treated him fairly. Yet Spetman said his "ego" made it difficult for him to accept what amounted to a demotion.

"Yes, it was a part of my decision," Spetman said. "It's probably more of a personal thing, my own personal ego, which got in the way. I don't fault the academy for that. I fault myself for that.

"I've done it since April and General Weida . . . has treated me with tremendous respect. But it's a different position at the table now."

Spetman said he'd like to work as an athletic director at another school.

One athletic department source, who asked to remain anonymous, said Spetman thought he ultimately would be removed as part of the changes at the academy, so Spetman retired before he was forced out.

"It wasn't fun for him anymore," the source said.

Spetman said he made the decision on his own. Spetman, 50, also will retire from the Air Force. He is a 1976 graduate of the academy and still has a scar on his arm from playing football against Navy.

"It's been several months that I've been struggling with if I should go or stay," Spetman said. "It was from the heart. It was time to leave."

Weida did not make himself available for an interview but released a written statement.

"(Spetman) has put in eight outstanding years as the Air Force Academy athletic director," Weida said in the statement. "I am indebted to Randy for the way he conducted himself during a very difficult period for the AFA team."

Spetman and other sources indicated that the academy would like to have an active Air Force officer succeed Spetman. Most likely the replacement will be a colonel or someone in line for promotion to colonel.

Spetman oversaw the women's teams' shift to Division I status in 1996-97, Air Force's move to the Mountain West Conference in 1999 and a $31 million project that involves renovation of the fieldhouse and the building of a new athletic complex.

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said through a spokesman that Spetman "has been instrumental in every facet of our growth and development."

Spetman also hired men's basketball coach Joe Scott, women's basketball coach Ardie McInelly and hockey coach Frank Serratore in an attempt to upgrade those programs.

"I've worked at four universities and he's the best athletic director I've ever worked for, bar none," McInelly said.

Football coach Fisher DeBerry, en route to his team's game at Colorado State, said through an athletic department spokesman: "For me it's a disappointing day. . . . Another athletic department will benefit from his departure."

CONTACT THE WRITER: 636-0178 or markf@gazette.com  

Guest S. Bien

bien am i wrong to think that this AD position at this time with all that is occuring here is one of the best AD jobs that has come up in the last 10 -15 years.

granted it may not be as secure as if NE or Miami was looking for an AD but the pieces are in place and the train is moving in the right direction.

or am i just a great fan.

Sorry, but your just a great fan.  This isn't even close to the best AD job in the past ten years.  You could give me any SEC, ACC, B10, P10, B12, and some MWC positions before this one starts peaking my fancy if I am already an experienced AD with a solid job.

We got the #2 guy from a B10 school, and ACC school, you can't ask for much more.  Both have schools that are rich in athletic tradition, and produce a plethora of talent, and have a strong alumni demand.  

If we were averaging like 50k in attendance for football, 7-10k for basketball, had some perennial post season, with a hefty budget, 125% state-of-the-art facilities, with an on-campus stadium, and strong alumni support.  We are about 5 years away from being a dream job, right now we are a job for a guy with a solid resume, wonderful drive, and innovative ideas.

I honestly believe, if done properly this could be the year we average around 35k in attendance, if we have a good season.  I think we can go to our first bowl game, and I think basketball will improve.  Our budget will automatically jump, and the facility will soon be moved into.  Again, in five years this is a dream job, the key is finding us the right guy to insure this is a dream job.

I like the three, and hopefully the Uconn Associate AD jumps in to heighten the competition.  We want, and need the best.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

All the finalists sound excellent to me. I'd be pleased with any of the three.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

not even close... there is absolutely no reason for a BCS AD to step down from his position to take this.

Can you say Vanderbilt?  Baylor?  Colorado? Never say never grasshopper.  ;)

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Baylor! You gotta be kidding!

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Baylor! You gotta be kidding!

Well maybe if you were the AD at Baylor & your basketball players started killing each other and you were a FB doormat forever and a day in your conference, you might consider applying for the USF AD position.  It's just a thought.  Not saying USF would want that person.  USFBull83 did say he couldn't see why any BCS school AD would look at the USF job.  IMO all three of this ADs might or would consider jumping out of the frying pan for USF.