• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Names Finalists For AD Postion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  1

USF Names Finalists For AD Position

By JOEY JOHNSTON jjohnston@tampatrib.com

Published: Apr 26, 2004

Today's Mortgage Rates

Online Mortgage Calculators

Free Online Pre-approval

Apply Online

TAMPA - The University of South Florida has three finalists for its athletic director position, and the first on-campus interviews could begin later this week.

Mark Hollis, associate director of athletics at Michigan State; Jon Oliver, senior associate athletics director for administration at Virginia; and Randall Spetman, a retired colonel and former athletic director at the Air Force Academy, were recommended as finalists by consultant Chuck Neinas, then unanimously accepted by a 10-person AD search committee during a Monday morning conference call.

Neinas said he could recommend ``one or two others'' as finalists, if they choose to apply for the position.

Hollis, who recently received the National Association of College Directors of Athletics ``National Marketer of the Year'' award, has gained recognition for developing unique events, such as ``The Cold War'' (an outdoor hockey game that drew 74,554 fans) and ``The BasketBowl'' (Michigan State vs. Kentucky in a men's basketball game at Detroit's Ford Field).

Oliver, who played basketball at Boise State and has a law degree, is responsible for day-to-day operations in Virginia's athletic department, while serving as administrative liaison for football and men's basketball. He has been the point person for the 15,000- seat, $128-million basketball arena to be completed by 2006.

Spetman, during eight years as Air Force's athletic director, oversaw the academy's women's programs shifting to Division I and the athletic department's move to the Mountain West Conference.

The finalists will meet with a variety of USF constituencies during visits to campus. The AD search committee is expected to recommend a final choice for USF president Judy Genshaft, who will make the call.

USF is replacing Lee Roy Selmon, who resigned as the school's AD in February.

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGADE27NITD.html

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I like either Hollis or Oliver.  They both are from BCS schools with good football and basketball programs.  Hollis seems a little "gimicky".  I like that Oliver oversaw a new basketball arena.  We need someone to keep improving our facilities.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

I wonder who the other 1 or 2 are that that Neinas would recommend ?  I think if Hollis gets the job then the Sherriff has a job waiting for him on his staff.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

Well maybe we need more "gimmicks" to increase attendance and raise our profile locally and nationally. Many people have commented how the Ath. Dept's marketing program has been lacking. We had a guy for a couple years who did a decent job with the little resources which were allocated, but he moved on and is now marketing the Super Bowl in Jacksonville. Some focus on marketing from the AD could be a welcome change, especially as we move to a high profile conference and look to increase revenue and attendance.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

the other 1-2 people would be the orange bowl chairman and the associate AD at UCONN.   Throughout the whole process those two have essentially been offered the job if they chose to apply and neither have applied, so far.  

and isnt all marketing gimmicky??  maybe that's just me...

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

It sounds stupid... but as soon as I read about Hollis, I wondered if there was a chance I could pull a job working with Hollis to increase the attendance of fans. I would love to goto work everyday promoting USF... at the same time, I don't want to have to do promotions at the game. I want to enjoy the game as a dedicated fan. The hard work is getting them into the seats, let someone else worry about what to do while they're at the game for entertainment! I hope Hollis gets the job.

www.HireHollis.com

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

I like Hollis as well... gimmicks are better than nothing at all.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I wonder what precluded Radakovich from LSU as being a finalist...

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

the other 1-2 people would be the orange bowl chairman and the associate AD at UCONN.   Throughout the whole process those two have essentially been offered the job if they chose to apply and neither have applied, so far.  

and isnt all marketing gimmicky??  maybe that's just me...

wonder why they have not applied?

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

I wonder what precluded Radakovich from LSU as being a finalist...

it is interesting that the Air Force guy snuck in there... I can see the reasoning with the UV and MSU guys, but the Air Force candidate kinda seem out of place....