• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reed Is Only Bull Selected In Draft

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Reed Is Only Bull Selected In Draft

By GREGG BECNEL Tribune correspondent

Published: Apr 26, 2004

TAMPA - South Florida safety J.R. Reed was alone in his room when his cell phone rang.

With only four picks remaining in the fourth round of the draft, the Philadelphia Eagles were calling to make Reed the first - and as it turned out, only - USF player selected this year.

``I talked to [Coach] Andy Reid and he congratulated me and asked if I was ready to go up there and become a Philadelphia Eagle,'' Reed said. ``Then I talked to [secondary/safeties coach] Sean McDermott and he asked me if it's been a long weekend and I was like, `Oh, yeah.' ''

After the disappointment of not being picked Saturday, Reed was relieved his agonizing wait was over and the ``monkey'' was off his back.

``A monkey?'' Reed said. ``When I got that call, it felt like a ship had been lifted off my back.''

Still, Reed remained poised.

After his conversation with the Eagles, he exited his room and rejoined his family and friends in the living room without saying a word about what had transpired.

``He was slick about the whole thing,'' said Reed's agent, Jonathan Kline.

Bulls coach Jim Leavitt said he was excited for Reed, who could help the Eagles as a safety and kick returner.

``Philadelphia made a great selection,'' Leavitt said. ``J.R. Reed is one of the best defensive backs I've ever coached.''

Leavitt said he was ``a little surprised'' linebacker Maurice Jones and receiver Huey Whittaker weren't picked.

``I think they'll definitely get a free-agent contract,'' Leavitt said.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

did they ( mojo and huey) get free-agent contracts?

did any other bulls get free agent contracts?

Reed will probably compete for return duty right away:

Posted on Sun, Apr. 25, 2004

Eagles focus on offensive line depth

BY BOB BROOKOVER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

...The second-day influx of defensive backs was curious because the Eagles seemed to have filled their only need Saturday when they took Ware, a 6-2 cornerback. They added J.R. Reed, a safety from South Florida, with their first pick in the fourth round and Dexter Wynn, a cornerback from Colorado State, with their second pick in the sixth round.

Both have the ability to return punts and kicks, a job that is open with wide receiver James Thrash going to Washington and Brian Westbrook moving to the top of the depth chart at running back. Reed and Wynn will likely compete with Reno Mahe for the return roles.

Reed, 5-10 and 201 pounds, opened the Eagles' eyes with his ability to make plays at South Florida. He had seven interceptions as a senior and averaged 31.7 yards per kickoff return, including one he returned for a touchdown.

"This guy is one of the toughest guys I've ever seen play college football," said Tom Heckert, the Eagles' vice president of player personnel.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/8519578.htm?1c

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

change topic

nice too see bama rb shaud whatever did not get drafted

the bum

Bulls 96 I won't ask you how you feel about the UCF star QB not getting drafted because I think I know.  ;D

There were quite a few players from Miami, FSU and Florida expecting to hear their names called who are also still waiting.

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/home/article/0,1651,TCP_996_2836570,00.html

As to who is going to sign a free agent contract, we should start hearing about them tomorrow. Tonight they are probably mulling over offers from different teams.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468

Good to see a USF player go in the 4th!

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Shaud Williams can flash his Bulls sign all season long now while he wacthes the NFL on Sundays with the rest of us! Karma is great!

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I see I'm not the only one who has a distaste for Shaud... I wanted to jump out of the stands at that moment and beat his ass... I guess it's just better to see him left out of the draft while JR gets in.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Mel Kiper was on ESPN radio today raving about Reed, and how he will be a solid player for Philly.