• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Downs Tampa, 2-0, To Claim Rowdies’ Cup

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,148
  • Content Count:  94,485
  • Days Won:  443

Courtesy USF SID Office

USF Downs Tampa, 2-0, To Claim Rowdies’ Cup                                                

TAMPA, Fla. (Friday, August 20) – The University of South Florida men’s soccer team defeated the Tampa Spartans, 2-0, on Saturday, Aug. 12 at the USF Soccer Stadium. Goals by junior Kris Raad and freshman Ogi Perucica led the Bulls to the exhibition victory, claiming the second annual Rowdies’ Cup (a yearly battle between the two teams).

Raad, who led all Bulls with six shots on the night, got USF on the board in the 39th minute. Pressuring the Spartan defense, Raad caused a misplay by goalkeeper Kevin St. John, who was trying to collect a header from one of his defenders. Raad intercepted the errant pass and lifted a shot from the right side of the area. The shot drifted into the far side on the net to give USF a 1-0 lead. Perucica gave the Bulls a two-goal cushion with a score in the 59th minute. The Wharton High School product buried a shot into the back of the net from three yards out. Set up by sophomore Jordan Seabrook, Perucica received a pass from the Preseason All-BIG EAST selection to register the Bulls second score of the night. Seabrook used his speed to get by the UT defense, streaking down the right-side of the field and along the end line towards the net. As two defenders closed in on Seabrook, the Indianapolis, Ind., native found Perucica at the edge of the six-yard box. Seabrook was credited with his first assist of the preseason on the score.  

On the night, USF out-shot UT 15-3, holding the Spartans without a shot on goal during the entire match.  

Despite not facing one shot, newcomer Diego Restrepo was credited with the victory. Senior Dane Brenner got the start in net, playing the first 35 minutes before Restrepo replaced the High Point, N.C., native to start the second half.

The exhibition lasted just 70 minutes as the teams played two 35-minute halves.

With the 2-0 win the Bulls were awarded the Rowdies’ Cup (the actual 1975 NASL Championship Trophy won by the Rowdies over the Portland Timers) for the second-straight year.  

The battle between cross-town rivals USF and UT, was introduced in 1972.  During a span of 16-straight seasons (1977-1992), the two teams played annually. In those 16 years, the Bulls edged the Spartans with an 8-6-2 head-to-head record.  The teams played once more in 1997, a 4-1 win for Tampa.  USF holds an all-time 10-7-2 series lead in regular-season contests, dating back to 1972.  

Since renewing the rivalry, USF now holds a 2-0-0 edge versus the Spartans. A pair of hat tricks by Hunter West and Jordan Seabrook guided the Bulls to their first win over UT since 1989 en route to claiming the inaugural Rowdies’ Cup as USF defeated Tampa, 7-0 on Aug. 20, 2005.

The Bulls’ 2006 season will begin on Aug. 25 when they face in-state rival FIU in Miami at 8 p.m.

USF Bulls vs. Tampa Spartans

August 12, 2005 – USF Soccer Stadium

1       2       F

Tampa                    0       0       0

USF                        0       2       2

Scoring Summary: USF – Raad 1 (unassisted), 39’; USF – Perucica 1 (Seabrook, 1), 59’.

USF Bulls – GK Dane Brenner, D Yohance Marshall, D Blake Sharpe, D Anthony Wallace, D Kareem Smith, MF Jason Devenish, MF Kris Raad, MF Kevon Neaves, F Jordan Seabrook, F Ogi Perucica.

Substitutes: Tom Markey, Diego Restrepo.

TOTAL SHOTS: 15 (Raad 6); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Perucica 3); FOULS: 8; OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVE: None.

Tampa Spartans – GK Kevin St. John, D Daniel Bergstrand, D Hank Malouf, D Gregg Emmerman, D Justin Versaggi, MF Kevin Sierra, MF Ryan Maxwell, MF Chad Burt, MF Devin Shaw, F Ryan Vetzel, F Carlos Mora.

Substitutes: Kwame Mathias, Zach Fraser, Sergio Loaiza, Dan Balzan, Jack Luker, Devon Edwards, Jordan Myers.  

TOTAL SHOTS: 3 (three players with 1); SHOTS ON GOAL: 0; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 4 (St. John 3).

Cautions and Ejections: USF – Doherty (caution), 25’; UT – Emmerman (caution), 59’.

Referee: Ted Uncle

Assistant Referees: -Steve Olson, Bob Berry

4th Official: Goree Fleck

Weather: Clear, warm, 89 degrees.

Guest wildrover

I hope they were just trying things on for size tonight.  Putting players where they normally aren't and letting backups get the majority of the playing time.  Otherwise I'm not sure if our 11th ranked team will remain that high for long

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,001
  • Content Count:  7,252
  • Days Won:  9

I made it to the second half and there was a very good crowd on hand.  Saw Collin, Vicki and Doug Woolard and his wife.

We definately have the talent, with some players literally making ball fakes opponents to the ground.  I think we'll be fine and wouldn't call a 2-0 win a bad game.  It is our first exhibition game and Coach Kiefer will make adjustments so we'll be ready for games that really count.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

It's soccer boys, didn't any of you watch any World Cup games this summer?  A 2-0 win in soccer is an arse whipping in my books especially when the shots on goal margin was 15 to 3.   I'd say all the guys need to do is sharpen their aim a bit which is what exhibition games are about.

I doubt they played all the starters either Keifer has a tendency to hold back to keep some key players healthy, I mean it doesn't look like either Hunter West or Hildalgo played.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

Hidalgo is recovering from an ACL injury and didn't play.

Schoendorf tweaked his quad and is out for the preseason (may play in the st. louis game)

Hunter West didn't play.

Sammy Castellanos didn't play.

Joris Claessens didn't play.

That's five impact players that didn't play. Our back line looked very solid, they're going to be stingy. Kevon Neaves is the most entertaining dribbler on the team (he's the one who shook that player to their knees.) Also, keep an eye out for Freshmen Anthony Wallace, Marc Doherty, and Ogi Perucia (goal tonight). They all look real solid.

Guest wildrover
It's soccer boys, didn't any of you watch any World Cup games this summer?  A 2-0 win in soccer is an arse whipping in my books especially when the shots on goal margin was 15 to 3.   I'd say all the guys need to do is sharpen their aim a bit which is what exhibition games are about.

I doubt they played all the starters either Keifer has a tendency to hold back to keep some key players healthy, I mean it doesn't look like either Hunter West or Hildalgo played.

Actually the 7-0 pounding that basically this exact same team gave that Tampa team last year is an arse whooping.  Yes I watched all of the world cup and played soccer for many years as a child.  I know very well that a 2-0 win can either be indicative of an "arse whipping" if the team that has the 2 points dominated the game from the midfield all the way to the opponents goal and for the most part usf did that last night but Tampa's back line was very stingy as well and though there were several shots on goal most of them were off the mark and looked to be taken because the usf forwards couldn't get around Tampa's back line.  It took until the second half to finally put points on the board and Tampa had a couple of shots in the first half that could of changed the complection of that game.  

My concern is that this Nationally ranked D1 team, though pretty much in control most of the game, still had to play the game to win, instead of putting on another clinic like they did last year for this D2 team.  The difference between the World cup and this, is that each country put forth its best players to play on soccer's biggest stage at the highest level so goals are going to come at a premium no matter who is dominating the game.  USF vs Tampa should have been more like David vs. Goliath but it wasn't.

However, it is just an exhibition game so, as mentioned, I'm sure they were just trying a few things out with different people in different positions.  Also, part of me can't help but wonder if UT would like to keep playing this game if they keep taking a huge pounding so part of me can't help but wonder if the throttle was back a little on purpose.

• Topic Count:  956
  • Content Count:  9,723
  • Days Won:  9

a 2-0 soccer win is like 28-0 in football.  I wouldn't be too skeptical about this victory.  It's early and just a warmup basically.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

Actually the 7-0 pounding that basically this exact same team gave that Tampa team last year is an arse whooping.  Yes I watched all of the world cup and played soccer for many years as a child.  I know very well that a 2-0 win can either be indicative of an "arse whipping" if the team that has the 2 points dominated the game from the midfield all the way to the opponents goal and for the most part usf did that last night but Tampa's back line was very stingy as well and though there were several shots on goal most of them were off the mark and looked to be taken because the usf forwards couldn't get around Tampa's back line.  It took until the second half to finally put points on the board and Tampa had a couple of shots in the first half that could of changed the complection of that game.  

My concern is that this Nationally ranked D1 team, though pretty much in control most of the game, still had to play the game to win, instead of putting on another clinic like they did last year for this D2 team.  The difference between the World cup and this, is that each country put forth its best players to play on soccer's biggest stage at the highest level so goals are going to come at a premium no matter who is dominating the game.  USF vs Tampa should have been more like David vs. Goliath but it wasn't.

However, it is just an exhibition game so, as mentioned, I'm sure they were just trying a few things out with different people in different positions.  Also, part of me can't help but wonder if UT would like to keep playing this game if they keep taking a huge pounding so part of me can't help but wonder if the throttle was back a little on purpose.

When 5 of your starting 11 dont play, a 2-0 result is generally good. Esp. considering three of them are among our top 4 point producers.

• Topic Count:  9,831
  • Content Count:  65,430
  • Days Won:  172

good job for over achieving soccer teAM