• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Re: what round will MoJo be drafted this weekend?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE / 2004 DRAFT

Sarasota's Maurice Jones could go in first seven rounds

BY ALAN DELL CORRESPONDENT

TAMPA -- Maurice Jones believes he was born to entertain. The only question is the type of stage he will utilize to showcase his talents.

The University of South Florida linebacker hopes to be a regular Sunday performer for the NFL. But if that doesn't pan out, he hopes to use the acting skills he learned in college to launch a different career.

Either way, the Booker High graduate expects to be in the spotlight.

And judging from various scouting reports, a career in the NFL may be his best choice.

The 6-foot-2, 240-pounder has been projected as anywhere from a third to seventh round pick in this weekend's draft, which gets under way Saturday with the first three rounds.

The Sporting News Pro Football Draft magazine lists Jones as the "sleeper" of the draft among linebackers. Though some prospects might consider that a compliment, Jones feels his talent should eliminate any doubt about whether he can succeed in the NFL.

The NFL.com analysis, put together by draft guru Gil Brandt, says Jones has a tendency to let plays come to him instead of initiating. It also questions his work ethic in his early years of college.

Jones, who red-shirted his first year, disagrees with each of those criticisms.

"I've been a hungry player since the first day I came (to USF)," Jones said. "I was ready to start my freshman year.

"I don't agree that I didn't initiate. In our scheme, particularly when I played the outside my junior year, I followed my role and responsibilities given to me. If they consider me a sleeper, it's only because I didn't go to a Miami or Florida State or school like that."

The 23-year-old started as a strongside linebacker his sophomore and junior years. As a junior, he played alongside middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell, the Bulls' career leading tackler and the school's highest pick ever (second round, 2003, Kansas City Chiefs) in the NFL draft.

This past season Jones was moved to middle linebacker where he led the Bulls in tackles and finished as the fourth-leading tackler in school history (285). He ranks second in USF history with 40 tackles for losses, behind Greg Walls (48 ) a former Booker High teammate.

"All those guys helped me, particularly Kawika," Jones said. "He taught me to be smart football-wise on and off the field, to work hard, and the value of studying film," Jones said.

USF co-defensive coordinator Wally Burnham, who coached two Butkus Award winners at FSU as well as the Tampa Bay Bucs' Derrick Brooks, thinks Jones can play in the NFL.

"I don't think he will be able to work his way into a starting lineup his first year like Kawika," Burnham said. "Maurice needs to learn how to get off blocks a little better. He can't use his speed to get away from big guys in the NFL like he did in college.

"But he is a very versatile linebacker. He is big and strong enough to play inside and fast enough to play the outside. Maurice has some unique qualities that will enable him to fit in with a team in a lot of different spots until he makes a name for himself as opposed to a Derrick Brooks, who was an outside guy all the way."

Jones will graduate next week with a major in communications. He says he took a lot of acting classes, did some performing and wants to pursue an acting career somewhere down the road. But for now, there is no doubt where he wants to go.

"I want to play in the NFL real bad," Jones said. It's been a childhood dream for me."

Last modified: April 23. 2004 12:00AM

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040423/SPORTS/404230322/1006

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,549
  • Days Won:  29

MoJo will be picked on Day 1.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,730
  • Days Won:  3

Shaping up to look more like late - if at all - in the day. I'd say 6th round. ???