• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Great articles on JR.  I am impressed by his fine academic record as well.  I think he is a great representative for USF football, and I will instantly become a fan of whatever team is smart enough to draft him.  

Who is next years JR?

The guy who could eventually replace Reed might be Carlton Williams from Vadosta HS in Georgia. USF doesn't often go out of state to get a player. We may not see him play this year if everybody qualifies because there wouldn't be a schollie available for him. If someone doesn't make it I suspect we will.

For those who don't know the name, here is an article I posted previously:

Region 1 defensive player of the year: Carlton Williams

By Christian Malone, christian.malone@gaflnews.com

VALDOSTA -- His coaches and teammates call him C-Dub. Recruiting services call him a prospect. One thing you can definitely call Carlton Williams, though, is a solid football player.

Williams, Valdosta High's standout free safety and team captain, was chosen the Region 1-AAAAA Defensive Player of the Year by the writers who cover the region's football teams. This season, Williams has 96 tackles, along with two interceptions and two fumble recoveries for a Wildcat defense that has quietly been a solid unit.

And his play is one of the reasons why Valdosta is playing for a state championship on Saturday. The Wildcats will host Camden County for the AAAAA title.

"He's a defensive leader over there," said Valdosta head coach Rick Darlington, the region Coach of the Year. "He plays the run, plays the pass. He's been great for us."

"I love to fly around and hit people," Williams said. "I love to make tackles. I want to be in on the tackle. Our defense wants to keep the opposing team out of the end zone."

Williams' play is usually not flashy, or highlight-reel, but it has been solid and fundamentally sound. And those around the program know that No. 32 is one of the Wildcats' best players.

"What a great year for him," Darlington said. "He's played through injuries, he's been tough. He had a great game against Cherokee. That's neat (he won defensive player of the year). I'm real happy for him (getting defensive Player of the Year)."

Williams' best game of the season, and one of the best for any Wildcat defender all year, came in the quarterfinals against Cherokee, when he made an astounding 17 tackles, recovered a fumble, and had an interception in Valdosta's 21-14 victory.

"Cherokee was a good team," Williams said. "They came back on us in the second half, but we stopped them. On defense, our coaches tell us to get as many hats on the tackle as possible. I feel like I've been able to read the plays, and get in on the plays."

For his play this season, Williams has been selected to play for the South team in the GACA North-South All-Star Game on Dec. 30 in Columbus.

The C-Dub nickname, a play on his initials, C.W., was given to Williams by Darlington. It has stuck among the Wildcats. After every practice and every game, players gather in a circle around Darlington, and each Wildcat coach addresses the team. When the coach is done, he ends by saying, "C-Dub!" At that point, Williams, as team captain, leads the team in a chant, with players hitting their knee pads in unison, then saying, "Yes!"

Williams' 6-foot-3 size has the attention of college programs. He'll likely be a safety, or he could bulk up and become a linebacker. He's spoken with Duke and South Carolina, among others.

But first, Williams has to finish his high school career, and he knows how he'd like for it to end.

"This season has been memorable. I don't want it to end. I wish we could play five or six more games," he said. "But Saturday is the last game, and it's always been my goal to go out with a state championship."

Since CW received an offer from Duke, I suspect he too did well in academics.

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

isn't vadosta one of best high school programs in USA

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

isn't vadosta one of best high school programs in USA

Yes:

ALL-TIME MOST STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS