• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

More AD candidates..........

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420
  • Days Won:  0

Former St. Bonaventure AD Throws Hat In Bulls' Ring

Published: Apr 20, 2004

TAMPA - Gothard Lane, who resigned last year as St. Bonaventure University athletic director in the wake of a basketball eligibility scandal, has applied for the vacant AD position at the University of South Florida.

St. Bonaventure's men's basketball program was stripped of six victories and banned from the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament last season after junior-college transfer Jamil Terrell was ruled ineligible. Instead of an Associate of Arts degree, Terrell was admitted to St. Bonaventure with a welding certificate.

Additionally, St. Bonaventure president Robert Wickenheiser resigned and men's basketball coach Jan van Breda Kolff was fired. Lane was placed on administrative leave before offering his resignation.

USF is seeking to replace Lee Roy Selmon, who stepped down in February. The school has received 31 applications through Monday, including NBC Sports vice president of communications Kevin Sullivan. A consulting firm is expected to narrow the list to five finalists by mid-May.

USF HONORS LADIES: The South Florida women's basketball team announced its award-winners at its inaugural awards banquet on Sunday.

Freshman forward Jessica Dickson was named offensive player of the year and junior guard Anedra Gilmore won the defensive player of the year award. Sophomore center Sharon Cambridge was the most-improved player and freshman guard Rachael Sheats won the Golden Bull award - given to the player who exemplifies academic and athletic achievement.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

NBC?  maybe we can be the next notre dame  ;)

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420

NBC?  maybe we can be the next notre dame  ;)

You must have read my mind as that was the same thing I was thinking.

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,493
  • Days Won:  10

I'm not sure I want an AD with baggage, as in the ex-AD from St. Bonaventure.  He may have had nothing to do with the scandal directly, but he had the responsibility of oversight.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Gothard Lane? Yeah sure Gothard.....and maybe when you get the job you can bring in Jim Harrick to run our basketball program and Gary Barnett to take over for Jim Leavitt.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

I saw today that a NY Yankee intern applied for it.... INTERN!!!

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Let the "weeding out" process begin, too many candidates have applied that have a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting an AD job have wasted their time and USF's time!

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I'm not sure I want an AD with baggage, as in the ex-AD from St. Bonaventure.  He may have had nothing to do with the scandal directly, but he had the responsibility of oversight.

This candidate's resume was forwarded to the CUSA II where it is much welcomed with Price's, Eustacy's and O "I forgot to update my resume" Leary's.  As we all know CUSA II intends to be the conference of second chances for coaches and admin. sports executives.  ;):)

Nah-- too ridiculous.

The more ridiculous the more entertaining.  Just don't want USF involved in the ridiculous.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

This candidate's resume was forwarded to the CUSA II where it is much welcomed with Price's, Eustacy's and O "I forgot to update my resume" Leary's.  As we all know CUSA II intends to be the conference of second chances for coaches and admin. sports executives.  ;):)

Yeah, I think he forgot that we are leaving C-USA...