• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

O'Leary gets 10 year deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Too bad the golf clubs were left on the main board. ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162

anyone want to take this one? it's like lining it up on a tee for ya...

Why wait for someone else's opinion when clearly you have one to share.  

Let's hear it, Knoxville.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

What makes you think the novelty of a new stadium will wear off?  That doesn't even make sense from your "I Hate UCF" view point.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  That's all I'll say here.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

This coming from a fan of a school who gave their coach a raise even after a losing season.  A school that gave their coach another raise simply because another school was interested in him but never gave him an offer.  USF pays their football coach almost as much and he has never received a conference coach of the year, let alone a national award.  

Our coach has built us from having zero to a BCS conference.  He's earned every penny for what he's done AT USF.

What has O'Leary done AT UCF?  Gone a mediocre 8-16, with an 8-5 record against what UCF fans admit was a weak conference schedule.

All I'll say regarding Leavitt is that at least there was a reason for us to up his salary... other schools WERE interested in his services and HAVE been interested in his services for the past 4 years at least.  

O'Leary didn't get a sniff at the college ranks after his ND fiasco until you skanks hired his bloated ass, and he hasn't had a sniff since.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

ADVERTISEMENTS

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/orl-ucfgrid2606may26,0,5838723.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines-knights

O'Leary's deal about 'commitment'

UCF and the football coach say they want to show they'll move forward together.

Kyle Hightower

Sentinel Staff Writer

May 26, 2006

UCF President John Hitt approached Coach George O'Leary five months ago with one purpose: to lay to rest any doubt about UCF's long-term commitment to the football coach.

The result was Thursday's official announcement of a 10-year contract extension that will pay O'Leary at least $1 million a year. His annual salary increases at least 5 percent per season, and in addition, O'Leary received a one-time "signing bonus'' of $150,000.

Calling UCF a "sleeping giant'' when he arrived in December 2003, O'Leary originally signed a five-year contract worth $720,000 a year.

Now he's the fifth college football coach in the state to make at least $1 million, and O'Leary's incentive package could earn him as much as $1.5 million a year.

O'Leary said the new contract was about both parties making the kind of long-term commitment that will benefit the football program and overall athletic department.

"Basically, it was about trust between the two parties, and hopefully, it will keep others away," he said of the new contract, which includes a $5 million buyout clause. "My two biggest words have always been 'trust' and 'commitment.' I wouldn't be here if I didn't have that. . . . I took this job because I said it was a sleeping giant, and I believe that more now than ever."

Hitt said the high buyout definitely was meant to deter other schools from trying to woo O'Leary.

"With a 10-year contract, there ought to be a big buyout," Hitt said. "It sounds high, but it's just an effective expression of commitment on both sides."

The buyout drops by a million a year after the fifth season of the new deal.

The contract also gives O'Leary control of the salary pool for his assistants. It starts at $1.12 million this season and increases by 3 percent per season.

Hitt called the deal the final legacy of former athletic director Steve Orsini, who originally started negotiations with O'Leary's agent, Jack Reale, after the Knights' seventh victory last season.

Orsini's successor, Keith Tribble, said he is eager to go to work with O'Leary and "looks forward to the day when UCF is in a BCS bowl.''

In a recruiting culture in which players are drawn to stars, Tribble said O'Leary's higher financial profile should make him more attractive in that regard.

"There's no question he is one of the top coaches in the country," Tribble said. "[The contract] gets us in a position where we can now be more competitive with the big three [Florida State, USF, Florida and Miami]."

Hitt said the contract was approved in a unanimous vote by the UCF Athletics Association executive committee and ratified in the same manner by the board.

Hitt said the contract would take effect "almost immediately" and conclude in 2015.

O'Leary would be 70 years old at the end of the contract.

"I'll coach until my wife tells me I can't," O'Leary said.

Kyle Hightower can be reached at khightower@orlandosentinel.com.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

What makes you think the novelty of a new stadium will wear off? .........It's all going to go come down to product

You answered your own question. To think people will keep coming to games just because the stadium is "new" is unrealistic. The newness WILL wear off and it will be down to to the product on the field.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Just read on ESPN that UCF will sign fat boy to 10 yr contract. He was asking for a million/yr. CJL will need a hefty boost or will be pissed.

It's only a raise of about $280,000...and considering that O'Leary was directly responsible for the chance for UCF to build our own stadium...increase our revenues greatly thru Sponsorships/Boosters/Season Tix when it opens in 2007....$280,000 raise looks like a STEAL!

Plus...since many predicted he would only have a "cup of coffee" with UCF and move on to bigger things...this helps with recruiting...as even kids in Junior High know that when they become HS Seniors...GOL will probably be the Head Coach at UCF.

For all the additional revenue that will be flowing in...plus helping a GREAT DEAL on the recruiting front...$280,000 is pocket change.

UCF got the best end of this deal...but GOL is very happy with his deal as well.

KL

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

You answered your own question. To think people will keep coming to games just because the stadium is "new" is unrealistic. The newness WILL wear off and it will be down to to the product on the field.

But the new on-campus stadium will be a huge BOOM for Season Ticket Sales...

UCF will have double the season tix sales in 2007 as they did in 2005.

Plus...unlike pro sports...Alumni keep their season tix...year in and year out...and chances are...most know that they will probably never get better seat locations then Day 1 of the new stadium.

Its not the newness of a stadium...its the fact that supply/demand forces will be a work...playing on campus...where Alumni can bring family and friends 6 times a year...plus having the only on-campus restaurant/entertainment village complex nearby...even when UCF isn't doing great on the field...attendance will still be pretty strong.

KL

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

But the new on-campus stadium will be a huge BOOM for Season Ticket Sales...

UCF will have double the season tix sales in 2007 as they did in 2005.

Plus...unlike pro sports...Alumni keep their season tix...year in and year out...and chances are...most know that they will probably never get better seat locations then Day 1 of the new stadium.

Its not the newness of a stadium...its the fact that supply/demand forces will be a work...playing on campus...where Alumni can bring family and friends 6 times a year...plus having the only on-campus restaurant/entertainment village complex nearby...even when UCF isn't doing great on the field...attendance will still be pretty strong.

KL

So, in reality, the "novelty of a new stadium" doesn't really come into play here, either pro or con ....

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

The novelty shows in the form of the Texas game.

The rest is about location and accessibility for students who can't get a ride to the Citrus Dump.