• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

O'Leary gets 10 year deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,103
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

Updated: May 24, 2006, 2:15 PM ET

Central Florida, O'Leary to announce 10-year dealESPN.com news services

Central Florida wants to lock up Conference USA coach of the year George O'Leary for the long term.

AP Photo

George O'Leary guided UCF to its first bowl appearance last season.

O'Leary and the school have agreed to a new 10-year contract, a source close to the coach told ESPN's Joe Schad on Wednesday.

O'Leary has orchestrated one of the biggest turnarounds in college football, leading once hapless Central Florida (8-5) to its first ever postseason appearance, a loss to Nevada in the Hawaii Bowl.

OLeary, who is in the third year of a five-year contract, was seeking a deal in the range of $1 million a year. The new contract will be announced at a news conference Thursday.

The Golden Knights snapped what was the nation's longest Division I-A losing streak at 17 games. They went on to win eight of their next nine before losing to Tulsa 44-27 in the Conference USA championship game in front of a record home crowd of 51,978.

He got his dream job at Notre Dame in 2001, only to resign a week later after his resume was questioned. His claims of having a master's degree in education and being a three-year college player at New Hampshire were ultimately proved untrue.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  21

Just read on ESPN that UCF will sign fat boy to 10 yr contract. He was asking for a million/yr. CJL will need a hefty boost or will be pissed.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

CJL already got a nice fat raise.  Good for GOL for conning UCF into paying up after he's gone a whopping 8-16 in his tenure there.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,210
  • Days Won:  422

I will give George this, he is one helluva self promoter ....

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162

I will give George this, he is one helluva self promoter ....
He's a great fundraiser, as well.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  118

Just read on ESPN that UCF will sign fat boy to 10 yr contract. He was asking for a million/yr. CJL will need a hefty boost or will be pissed.

Actually it is being rumored that it will be close to $20 million that he COULD make over the 10 years with added incentives, etc.

Sounds like the base will be 10 years/10 Million.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,210
  • Days Won:  422

He's a great fundraiser, as well.

If he's going out and drumming up funds for his own raise plus, no fault in that .....

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

UCF/Leary or not...this is F'd up & not good for college football in general IMO.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162

UCF/Leary or not...this is F'd up & not good for college football in general IMO.

Care to elaborate?

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I agree, 10 years ago people were wondering what UF was doing paying Spurrier a lil $1M a year to not go coach the Bucs. He was the highest paid coach at the time (believe Bowden passed him the next year).

I cannot blame UCF for paying him like that, he will be offered more prestigous jobs next year. However, as nice as his 8-5 record was last year 0-11 in the MAC still lingers.

Don't get me wrong I didn't think Leavitt deserved a Mil a year just yet, and I don't think many coaches that get that money deserve it. When salaries become as high as they are for programs that don't have the major boosters contributing, it can cause problems in all of college football. 2 Million to Urban Meyer is nothing to UF, they got almost 30M in booster fees alone last year. However, the Ohio State Florida, and Oklahoma booster fund supported schools are few and far between.

When smaller programs are spending 1 Million on a coach it is a lot to them. It's a very big risk for a program to spend that money and could hurt down the line.

Leavitt has been here since the beginning and made it known he doesn't plan on leaving, although I know he could be offered jobs, I can honestly say after K-State, Alabama, etc. that he will probably not leave. ($1 Mil is still a lot of money)

O'Leary left a pretty good program at GT to take a job at ND, although it was his dream job, who is to say a school like Tennessee/Oklahoma State/Arizona State, who has Millions more than UCF, won't pay more than UCF this off season and he won't jump at it?

It's just driving coaches salaries up and it is not a good thing for college football, period.