• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basebull Commit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

One of the Space Coast's most versatile athletes will sign up for his future today.

Cocoa senior James Rowe III, a starter in football, basketball and baseball since his freshman year, will sign a letter of intent to play baseball for the University of South Florida.

"It's going to be tough giving up the other two sports, but at least baseball is the one I like most," said Rowe, a left-handed pitcher and outfielder who currently has a 6-0-2 record with an 0.85 ERA, 67 strikeouts, 14 walks and a .303 batting average.

Rowe will be joined in today's signing ceremony by his battery mate, catcher Brandon Romans, who announced earlier he will follow in brother Billy's footsteps at Birmingham Southern. Romans leads the Tigers in hitting with a .476 average, 17 RBI and three home runs.

There is a chance Rowe, who has a 3.7 unweighted GPA in honors classes, will be drafted in June, but he said most professional scouts wanted him to go to junior college. That way, he could be a "draft and follow" and be eligible for the draft again in less than three years. But the 5-foot-10, 170-pound athlete had other ideas.

"I always wanted to go to the four-year school," he said. "I like South Florida because I've got family over there and because they told me I will get a lot of playing time as a freshman."

While the Bulls recruited him as a pitcher, Rowe still hopes to see some time in the outfield.

"I think pitching kind of limits (what I can do with) my athletic ability, but if I had to pick a position, I think I'm a better pitcher," he said. "I just like the freedom playing in the outfield gives me. They said they might give me a chance to play out there some."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

can't help but think ing of I dream of jeannie-

SEEMS like a great signing