• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I don't get it. 6-0-0 vs 5-1-2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Days Won:  0

How is 6-0-0 worse than 5-1-2?  ???

Atlanta is 5-1-2 and has 13 points. The Lightning are 6-0-0 and have 12 points. Boston (5-2-2) also has 12 points.

I just don't get why the points are set up the way they are. Just seems wrong for a undefeated team to be behind 1 loss, 2 tie team.

Kizarvexis

An avowed hockey newbie. :)

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

How is 6-0-0 worse than 5-1-2?  ???

Atlanta is 5-1-2 and has 13 points. The Lightning are 6-0-0 and have 12 points. Boston (5-2-2) also has 12 points.

I just don't get why the points are set up the way they are. Just seems wrong for a undefeated team to be behind 1 loss, 2 tie team.

Kizarvexis

An avowed hockey newbie. :)

Atlanta is actually 5-1-2- 1 ..... The last 1 is an OL (Overtime Loss), which was actually the Bolts game. If a team loses in Overtime they still get the one point for the tie (OL column) while the winner in OT gets a W and 2 points.....

The good thing is that Tampa Bay has 3 games in hand over Atlanta but it's way too early to start looking at at that stuff ...

Atlanta is actually 5-1-2- 1 ..... The last 1 is an OL (Overtime Loss), which was actually the Bolts game. If a team loses in Overtime they still get the one point for the tie (OL column) while the winner in OT gets a W and 2 points.....

The good thing is that Tampa Bay has 3 games in hand over Atlanta but it's way too early to start looking at at that stuff ...

I've never really followed hockey as I have never been to a game or even watched a complete game on TV. I had heard the Lightning were doing well and have a ticket combo for the Thursday night Lightning game and the Friday night USF Homecoming game. I went to check to see if the Lightning played a game before Thurs and I noticed the stangeness above. Now I find it even weirder if the Lightning have beaten Atlanta in a OT game as well, but are still behind in the points!

Kizarvexis

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

atlanta has played more games than TB has... they have more oppotunity to gain points than TB has so far, it will even out later.   Like mentioned above, WAY too early to be looking at points.  Plus the regular season doesnt matter anyways   ;)

Plus the regular season doesnt matter anyways   ;)

That's only true IF you make the postseason and not really then. The difference between a 1st seed and the 6th can make a big difference - at least in football anyways. :)

Kizarvexis

Thanks for the info.

I've never really followed hockey as I have never been to a game or even watched a complete game on TV. I had heard the Lightning were doing well and have a ticket combo for the Thursday night Lightning game and the Friday night USF Homecoming game. I went to check to see if the Lightning played a game before Thurs and I noticed the stangeness above. Now I find it even weirder if the Lightning have beaten Atlanta in a OT game as well, but are still behind in the points!

Kizarvexis

It all boils down to games played. With 3 games in hand, the Lightning could conceivably have 18 points to Atlanta's 13 if they play and win those 3 before the Thrashers play again. Just watch the total points AND the number of games played ......

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

I don't understand the OTL thing at all. I much preferred it when it was just W-L-T -- I could understand that. Now the standings are confusing and nobody knows where the points total comes from.

Why do you get a bonus point for losing in OT anyway? How is that better than losing in regulation?

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

This is a relatively new rule.  Within the past 3 years, I have been a hockey fan for over 20 years and I agree this adds nothing to the game, we need to get back to old time hockey.

This is a relatively new rule.  Within the past 3 years, I have been a hockey fan for over 20 years and I agree this adds nothing to the game, we need to get back to old time hockey.

I guess it's supposed to add a little more zip to the OT along with the one less skater. They figure teams will press more trying to score knowing that they already have the one point and the 2nd would just be gravy ......

Ok, let me see if I have all this straight.

Old Hockey

A Win was 2 pts

A Tie was 1 pt for each team

A Loss (OT or not) got you nothing.

New Hockey

A Win is 2 pts

A Tie is 1 pt for each team

A regulation Loss gets you nothing.

An OT loss gets you 1 pt and the winning team 2 pts.

So if that is right, then the points handed out for OT games where 1 team wins went from 2 to 3. Shouldn't the number of points handed out for a win in regulation have gone up to 3 as well?

Were there problems with teams playing safe to get 1 pt in OT before they added the new rule? Ex. During a soccer tournament, if both teams only need one point to advance to the next round and they are tied near the end of the game, both teams will stand around and let the clock run out. Did this use to happen in Hockey too?

Kizarvexis