• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New USF Campus At Lakeland To Open By 2010

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

New USF Campus At Lakeland To Open By 2010

By DAVE NICHOLSON dnicholson@tampatrib.com By DAVE NICHOLSON

Published: Apr 1, 2004

PLANT CITY - East Hillsborough residents could enjoy an easy commute to University of South Florida classes by the end of the decade.

The new Lakeland campus of USF is expected to open around 2010 at Interstate 4 and the easternmost exit of the Polk Parkway, convenient for not only Polk County residents but those in the Plant City area. L. Preston Mercer, vice president and chief executive of USF in Lakeland, hopes for groundbreaking in about three years.

The 515 acres donated by the Williams Acquisition Holding Co. of Tulsa, Okla. is between two of the state's largest universities - USF's campus in Tampa and the University of Central Florida in Orlando.

``There needs to be something done in the middle were we are,'' he said, explaining the selection of the I-4/Polk Parkway site over land offered in Bartow and other cities.

Mercer was the guest speaker at today's Plant City Downtown Luncheon Club, which was attended by many government and community leaders.

Mercer's major points included:

* USF's Lakeland campus has grown tremendously in the last five years, with student enrollment growing from 700 to about 2,000 and faculty members from six to 35. To meet immediate needs, construction has started on a $28 million building at the current Lakeland site, which shares a campus with Polk Community College off U.S. 98.

* The Florida Department of Transportation has agreed to build an interchange for the new USF Lakeland campus site. The interchange should open in about three years.

* An estimated $150 million is needed to build the new campus, not including $40 million that may be needed for student housing. Funding is still being worked out.

* Mercer expects 10,000-student enrollment at the new Lakeland campus.

* USF took some political heat for not locating the new campus closer to Highlands and Hardee counties, but Mercer said most students come from the I-4 corridor and USF offers classes at South Florida Community College in Avon Park.

Felix Haynes, president of the Plant City campus of Hillsborough Community College, said Thursday he would offer Mercer space at his school off Park Road south of I-4. Mercer said he was receptive to the idea.

Reporter Dave Nicholson can be reached at (813) 754-3765.

Maybe now the lousy Lakeland Ledger will cover USF athletics better.  Whata think ET?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

getting closer to the gnats

and eating their lunch in more ways than one

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Might as well just absorb UCF... then we'll be the biggest university in the whole country ... wahahahaha!

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  765

More than likely we are just planting the seeds for a new university much as we did in Ft. Meyers.    The good news is we have much more name recognition now, so we at least have a shot at keeping it all together over the long term.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

More than likely we are just planting the seeds for a new university much as we did in Ft. Meyers.    The good news is we have much more name recognition now, so we at least have a shot at keeping it all together over the long term.

Not sure I agree.  Lakeland and St. Pete campus will be about the same distance away with Lakeland easier to get to.  If St. Pete goes indie then most likely you are correct.  There is major growth potential in Lakeland IMO.  Should get my masters so I could teach there.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

in all seriousness... am I the only person that thought of having a joint partnership in this school with UCF? It could serve as a jumpstart to building I-4 into the technoligcal corridor that has always been talked about.  

If nothing else we could compete with IUPUI for the worst name in college...  USCFL Universities of South and Central Florida at Lakeland  ::)

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  289

I think Dr. Hitt would have shied away from the idea of a satelite in Lakeland.  It's gonna further your image as a commuter school.  Besides these students aren't going to pay an athletic fee are they?

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

how does having satellite campus' further increase our image of being a commuter school??  

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  289

Hey adding more students is probably gonna be a good thing.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

I think Dr. Hitt would have shied away from the idea of a satelite in Lakeland.  It's gonna further your image as a commuter school.  Besides these students aren't going to pay an athletic fee are they?

Pot meet kettle:

gold_floridahomereg4ed1.jpg