• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

HAKIM SHAHID

Guest Jerome

Hello everybody.

I am french, living in Strasbourg, France, where Hakim Shahid played 15 years ago.

Does anybody have news about him or know where I can contact him?

We were close friends but I lost the contact and heard he was suffering from a terrible disease.

Thanks in advance.

Jerome

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

Jerome,

I would try through the University of South Florida.  I know there was trouble finding him last year for a basketball reunion.  

The athletic department can be found at www.usf.edu

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

who is Hakim Shahid?

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Jerome - I think Hakim has had some kind of contact with this message board in the past, and I know there's somebody around here who can point you in the right direction. It might take a couple days before the right people see this message, though.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

who is Hakim Shahid?

A flat out stud in USF hoops history.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

blast from the past

http://www.marquettetribune.org/290879048190610.bsp

First time for everything

By Steve Yanda

Tribune Staff

As the final buzzer sounded, University of South Florida athletic director Paul Griffin felt tears of joy begin to stream down his face.

Just like most every other USF Bulls basketball fan, Griffin had no idea how to react to such a landmark victory.

In 18 previous years of Bulls basketball, no team had ever won the title game of the Sun Belt Conference tournament.

So imagine the surprise of USF fans across the panhandle in 1990 when the Bulls defeated North Carolina-Charlotte 81-74 and advanced to the first NCAA tournament in school history.

"It was such a momentum-shifting victory," Griffin said. "I was so happy for all the coaches and the players. All their hard work had finally paid off. I just didn't know what to do."

With the emotional rush becoming too much to handle, Griffin sat down along the sideline at the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center and closed his eyes.

Maybe he saw the 18 teams that had played in years before, including the teams in the previous three seasons that went a combined 21-63.

Maybe he saw this team  the 19th team  back in November when the season began.

Head coach Bobby Paschal had put together a group of talented players, but media skeptics believed this squad would bring more of the same, uninspiring South Florida basketball.

"We could all see they were getting better, but no one expected them even to come close to qualifying (for the NCAA tournament)," said David Alfonso, then-South Florida beat writer for the Tampa Tribune.

Maybe he saw the unique looks of half-terror/half-confidence on the faces of the South Florida players just a few hours earlier as they prepared to play the biggest game of their careers.

"We knew that no team from South Florida had ever made it this far before," said shooting guard Radenko Dobras. "There was nothing left to do but win the game."

If only it were that simple.

After jumping out to a 12-0 lead early in the first quarter, the Bulls allowed Charlotte to crawl back into the game. By halftime, the score was tied 38-38.

"I don't care what you have imagined," Paschal said to his boys before they took the court at the start of the second half. "The feeling of actually being in the NCAA tournament is 1,000 times better than it is in your head."

And Paschal would know. He had already led Louisiana-Lafayette to two NCAA trips earlier in his coaching career.

Maybe that's what Griffin saw  the change in the players' attitude after being riled up by their coach.

In the second half there were no large leads for either side, but the Bulls seemed to control the tide all the way.

Hakim Shahid's slam dunk put South Florida ahead 53-51 with 9:25 to play. Five minutes later, Tony Armstrong tipped in a score, giving the Bulls a 65-58 advantage.

The clincher came when Dobras sank a 15-foot jumper with 1:27 remaining, extending the USF lead to 71-67. Dobras finished with 24 points, five assists, four rebounds and a tournament MVP award.

From then on, it was just a matter of making free throws. Those were easy; the Bulls had practiced them repeatedly.

It was how to celebrate victory that dumbfounded the team once the final horn blared.

"I just felt a sense (of) relief," Dobras said. "Especially because the program had not had that much success before us."

For one night, the future of South Florida looked promising, and for a while, it was. The Bulls went on a three-year run, qualifying for the NIT in 1991 and again for the NCAA tournament in 1992.

However, with every monumental victory came increased pressure to perform  pressure that has overshadowed USF basketball to this day.

"That win set a whole new standard in the expectation level of our program," Paschal said.

For the most part, those expectations have not been met. The Bulls finished 7-20 in 2003-'04 and 14-16 in 2004-'05. South Florida has not returned to the NCAA tournament since 1992.

But Griffin did not envision any of that as he sat with his eyes closed.

When he finally looked up, all the athletic director could see were joy and pride surrounding a program in need of both.

"The players gelled," Griffin said. "All the pieces came together."

• 11 years later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2

On 10.12.2005 at 9:13 PM, Guest Jerome said:

Hello everybody.

I am french, living in Strasbourg, France, where Hakim Shahid played 15 years ago.

Does anybody have news about him or know where I can contact him?

We were close friends but I lost the contact and heard he was suffering from a terrible disease.

Thanks in advance.

Jerome

Helle Jerome , je suis severine et je pense être venue chez vous dîner avec Hakim , j espère une réponse , jene demande aussi ce qu il est devenu

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2

Hallo Jerome 

je suis Séverine t je suis venue dîner chez vous avec Hakim si je ne me trompe pas , j espère une réponse , j aimerais savoir également ce qu il devient .. mon adresse email : seberina@hotmail.fr

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

BOOOM!  TBP making **** happen