• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stepping Stone School

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Since so many fans here embrace the belief that we are a stepping stone school and treasure the thought that "if a coach leaves us better that he found us, he was a success".  

This will be our first hiring cycle with the portal and no transfer sit out rules.  Have those that embrace the shiny new object coach and/or up and comer candidate (that just has to make us better) how this fits in a stepping stone plan when every player brought in can transfer out after the shiny new object achieves his goals for success and moves on?

Obviously had Jeff Scott been wildly successful and moved on to a P5 school, we would see the effects...perhaps Battie, Horn, Brown, etc. go with him.

So, just how do we build success (don't tell me UCF did it, because the rules have since changed), if we are to possibly experience player flows in and out as frequently as coaches - unless of course the coach is a failure (then we're stuck with both).

I'm not looking for the regular clatter about Deion or the routine put down of Scott, Taggart or Leavitt.  Those people can ignore this.  

This isn't a deep philosophical question either.  It's just the game has changed - are you considering it?  MK must be.  I hope.  If we can't figure out how to retain a coach, it will be a very long road to consistent success.  I think MK knew this and saw the potential in Scott being a foundational coach that would stay.  Unfortunately, Scott came up short.

Tenure is important in other vocations and industries.  It retains knowledge, creates efficiency and protects assets and markets.  

We'll all be on edge until we hear who becomes the next guy to give it a go...but I hope you have considered the cycle we are entering likely leads to inconsistency and worse, failure.  We need to make a hire that has truly transformational impact, not a Band-Aid on a dying Bull. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

It’s not about retaining a coach, it’s about retaining a culture. But you have to build one first…

• Upvote 2

You solved that in no time.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Days Won:  12

Luke F to Wisconsin. 

Cincy has a hundred years of history, an OCS and is B12 bound. 

There are only 20 programs nationally that are elite destination programs. Just because we aren't one of them is no cause for doom and gloom.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,429
  • Days Won:  3

It's impossible to have this conversation without mentioning Leavitt or our other coaches. But...

Unfortunately, Leavitt jaded some fans into believing that we can find a coach that will stay here even if the Alabamas of the world come calling, but that was because USF football was his baby. However, that is not the post-CJL reality. And no, Leavitt isn't coming back to coach USF. CJS would've probably also left had he found success here to coach somewhere in SEC or southern ACC within the good ole boys club. I mean, even coaches like Fickell - who is Ohio born and raised - is ready to leave Cincy for Wisky even after all the program growth and invite to the P5 that he generated. I know it doesn't sit right to think of your alma mater as a 'stepping stone' school, but that is what USF is to the CFB world once you step away from the USF bubble. However, that is not necessarily a negative thing for the program; we can sustain success in the AAC-CUSA based on our recruiting location alone. The central Florida region is ripe with high school players that are able to beat whatever Tulsa and ECU recruit with natural talent alone, the way that Taggart did it, and the way that UCF has done it 3 coaching changes in.

That said, we can either hire an unproven coach like CJS who swears he will be here forever - even though he probably won't - for the sake of 'consistency' (I think we have just seen this is a terrible gamble this is) or we aim to hire someone who is a proven head coach that is openly trying to move up on the world but will probably do well coaching USF while they are here based on prior success. What is the better choice in terms of Ws and Ls?

6 minutes ago, hm101 said:

There are only 20 programs nationally that are elite destination programs. Just because we aren't one of them is no cause for doom and gloom.

In case you missed it, it was not a call for doom and gloom.  It was a call for some real thinking and not drive-by flotsam (not saying that is what you posted). 

Since you seem to have a grip on the CFB landscape, what would be your primary considerations?  how would you choose and how would you build the program back?

It may be too deep for a message board.  Seems everybody wants to skate right past the situation we're in, yet retain rights to ***** about it.

3 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

It's impossible to have this conversation without mentioning Leavitt or our other coaches. But...

Unfortunately, Leavitt jaded some fans into believing that we can find a coach that will stay here even if the Alabamas of the world come calling, but that was because USF football was his baby. However, that is not the post-CJL reality. And no, Leavitt isn't coming back to coach USF. CJS would've probably also left had he found success here to coach somewhere in SEC or southern ACC within the good ole boys club. I mean, even coaches like Fickell - who is Ohio born and raised - is ready to leave Cincy for Wisky even after all the program growth and invite to the P5 that he generated. I know it doesn't sit right to think of your alma mater as a 'stepping stone' school, but that is what USF is to the CFB world once you step away from the USF bubble. However, that is not necessarily a negative thing for the program; we can sustain success in the AAC-CUSA based on our recruiting location alone. The central Florida region is ripe with high school players that are able to beat whatever Tulsa and ECU recruit with natural talent alone, the way that Taggart did it, and the way that UCF has done it 3 coaching changes in.

That said, we can either hire an unproven coach like CJS who swears he will be here forever - even though he probably won't - for the sake of 'consistency' (I think we have just seen this is a terrible gamble this is) or we aim to hire someone who is a proven head coach that is openly trying to move up on the world but will probably do well coaching USF while they are here based on prior success. What is the better choice in terms of Ws and Ls?

Fail/Did not read.

• Crying 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

A mountain is built on a single stone 

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,090
  • Days Won:  56

Honestly, now is not the time for us to be worrying about the long-term - which is absolutely against my own philosophy. What we need is to turn this around in the short term so that we become viable for the next round of conference expansion. We can’t be left behind again. If we are ever going to be more than a stepping stone, we need to be part of “the club.” That’s why I’m all-in on Deion. He’s our best chance to make this happen right now. And we NEED that stadium.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  97
  • Days Won:  1

20 minutes ago, hm101 said:

Luke F to Wisconsin. 

Cincy has a hundred years of history, an OCS and is B12 bound. 

All schools are suspect to changes in head coach’s look at Oklahoma and Lincoln Riley or Norte Dame and Brian Kelly