• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Discussion on "fan styles"

Outlaw

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

52 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I don’t see anyone yelling at anyone or calling them names for being positive no matter how unfounded but I do see that happen in reverse when people question the idealized version of CJS that exists solely in peoples minds and has not been displayed in any meaningful fashion.

That’s the best point you’ve made in probably three or four weeks or maybe five and I’m not trying to be mean. But people do poke fun at the overly optimistic like Gatorbull or for being like E.T. - seemingly too positive.  So yeah it does happen. But it never contains the type of vitriol that these anti-Jeff Scott posts contain. And the whole thing about being a fan is not about being unhappy all the time. There’s always something to be unhappy about.  Always.  So why go down that route?

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

To me all people but that probably says as much about me as the other peoples perception says about them. That being said I do not think our perceptions of the situation are any more made up than the other.

Yeah perception is always a tricky word. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Some said at least he cares more than Strong.  That’s not a direct correlation of the “crying” or release of emotion, in fact, I don’t think anybody pointed out that it meant he cared more (and, as we know, he didn’t cry).  It was more a symptom of caring more that he could nearly break up or whatever the guy Will said.  I think you know that.  I’m getting real concerned about how you build your narrative.  

Maybe I projected what I think makes them think that. That being said I looked up videos of his conferences from the past and he gets emotional to what i would label crying adjacent pretty much since he got here. I just noticed it now because I started listening to them regularly as I wanted to see if anyone was putting more pressure on him now than they previously did and if that had any impact on the responses. That I went into it looking for something could have played a part in the way I perceived the reactions. I’ve faked emotion in speeches before and told myself that it was to make the other people feel better but I’m pretty sure that I wanted them to feel better because it made my job easier.

Well I haven’t seen him be emotional at every press conference or very many press conferences. Only recently.  

Maybe I don’t have the eye for it that you have. But I doubt that’s the case because you seem not to allow that in your life.  Then again you called it crying when he only paused and on occasion seemed to be hesitant, retrospective or a little choked up about what he was going to say.  

I’ve been emotional about talking about my players especially those that reached new heights and did spectacular things. So I guess I don’t see any of it is a bad thing.

When you sometimes see people succeed at something you had a hand in, or in Scott’s case they sacrifice for the team, it it is an emotional experience for some.  I know you think he’s crying because he’s afraid he’s gonna lose his job. I just think you need to be a little more human than that.

Judge not lest ye be judged.  

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

That’s the best point you’ve made in probably three or four weeks or maybe five and I’m not trying to be mean. But people do poke fun at the overly optimistic like Gatorbull or for being like E.T. - seemingly too positive.  So yeah it does happen. But it never contains the type of vitriol that these anti-Jeff Scott posts contain. And the whole thing about being a fan is not about being unhappy all the time. There’s always something to be unhappy about.  Always.  So why go down that route?

I legitimately envy their world view and I try to respect their views except maybe Tamplona. I do not feel the same for people that are paid well to perform one specific job and do not put forth a serviceable result. People blame the fans and their contributions, the players and their attitudes and talent and the university and its commitments in order to dismiss the failures of paid professionals that are Bulls in name only and only for as long as the checks cash and it’s mutually convenient for everyone. I probably do let it impact me more than it should but I see the defense of their failures as an acceptance that everything actually USF is the reason they can’t do the job they were hired to do. I also see this type of thing all the time in my actual life and usually people that need everything to be completely different than the job they actually accepted should probably have selected a better fit than the place they would have known wasn’t this place with just a cursory look at what they were coming into and even if they get every single thing on their aspirational list it wouldn’t make a difference if they can’t figure out how to implement any of it unless they get all of it.

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Well I haven’t seen him be emotional at every press conference or very many press conferences. Only recently.  

Maybe I don’t have the eye for it that you have. But I doubt that’s the case because you seem not to allow that in your life.  Then again you called it crying when he only paused and on occasion seemed to be hesitant, retrospective or a little choked up about what he was going to say.  

I’ve been emotional about talking about my players especially those that reached new heights and did spectacular things. So I guess I don’t see any of it is a bad thing.

When you sometimes see people succeed at something you had a hand in, or in Scott’s case they sacrifice for the team, it it is an emotional experience for some.  I know you think he’s crying because he’s afraid he’s gonna lose his job. I just think you need to be a little more human than that.

Judge not lest ye be judged.  

I think that last part plays an important part in how and why people view CJS the ways that they do. 

49 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I legitimately envy their world view and I try to respect their views except maybe Tamplona. I do not feel the same for people that are paid well to perform one specific job and do not put forth a serviceable result. People blame the fans and their contributions, the players and their attitudes and talent and the university and its commitments in order to dismiss the failures of paid professionals that are Bulls in name only and only for as long as the checks cash and it’s mutually convenient for everyone. I probably do let it impact me more than it should but I see the defense of their failures as an acceptance that everything actually USF is the reason they can’t do the job they were hired to do. I also see this type of thing all the time in my actual life and usually people that need everything to be completely different than the job they actually accepted should probably have selected a better fit than the place they would have known wasn’t this place with just a cursory look at what they were coming into and even if they get every single thing on their aspirational list it wouldn’t make a difference if they can’t figure out how to implement any of it unless they get all of it.

See I can’t read this whole thing because the goalposts are being moved we’re going from one topic to another. And that can go on forever. Not that it’s not fun to talk to you it’s just I can’t keep up with the constantly moving target.  So I’ll probably come back and read it later when I have more time to see what we’re discussing now. But until then have a great night.

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

See I can’t read this whole thing because the goalposts are being moved we’re going from one topic to another. And that can go on forever. Not that it’s not fun to talk to you it’s just I can’t keep up with the constantly moving target.  So I’ll probably come back and read it later when I have more time to see what we’re discussing now. But until then have a great night.

That’s fair enough but we are trying to discuss the underlying differences of opinion and the motivating factors that would lead  someone seeing the same events in wildly different ways. Peoples feelings on something usually do not exist in a vacuum and can have many contributing factors. I feel you genuinely wonder why people are compelled to have these responses and I am trying to be open and honest as to why I have the reactions you are trying to reduce. 

50 minutes ago, puc86 said:

the motivating factors that would lead  someone seeing the same events in wildly different ways.

If we’re back on the 1-23, we don’t see it differently. That is true for almost every aspect.  How we react - is what’s different.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Brad said:

If we’re back on the 1-23, we don’t see it differently. That is true for almost every aspect.  How we react - is what’s different.  

Unfortunately, IMO I think we have too many that don't react in a strong way about this type of product which I think plays a role in where the program is today. Too many are okay with seeing "progress" and "trying hard". I believe one of the members of the site said there's more to football at his alma mater than wins and losses which is the exact opposite of what winning programs are about. Really hope Scott can find a way to get to 4 wins and be a decent head coach because I have 0 faith in the USF admin to hit on a football coach at this point.

• Upvote 1