• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BE/AAC Conference Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

USF, West Virginia, Louisville, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati all spent time in the top 10 (and all but Rutgers and Pitt in the top 5) between '05 and '09. The Big East was a blood bath at the top for a few years after the initial realignment took hold in '05. As someone else said, the top of the AAC the last handful of years would probably compete for the conference title in the Big East, but top to bottom, the Big East was tougher. Even UConn was in the polls off and on during those years. The only real consistent patsy at any point was Syracuse.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

Flowers > Grothe = Daniels

Where does Blackwell fit in?  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

Can't imagine what a prime QF and his fantastic football protection (Grothe's biggest flaw) would've done with the 2007 or 2009 defense.

The three headed monster Flowers - Mack - Adams was something we never had in the BE.  MVS and DJ (two other NFLers in backup roles). Grothe never had that.  No USF QB has ever had that much talent around them.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,429
  • Days Won:  3

39 minutes ago, Brad said:

The three headed monster Flowers - Mack - Adams was something we never had in the BE.  MVS and DJ (two other NFLers in backup roles). Grothe never had that.  No USF QB has ever had that much talent around them.  

Ooh I like this discussion. 

A couple of things come to mind.

Put in Grothe and his decision-making almost 1:1 TD-INT ratio into the QF teams, do we win more games? Idk about that. Give QF the 2007 or 2009 defense, do we lose more games than we did? IMO we probably win more. Also, Grothe might've lacked a true 1RB ala Marlon Mack, but USF RBs (not counting Grothe) accounted for more than 1,300 yds rushing in 2007 and 2008, so it wasn't like he was totally void of talent and production in the RB position, I'd argue Mike Ford is one of the most naturally talented players ever at USF - production was just far more spread out than in the QF era. He also did have Carlton Mitchell who played in the NFL for a couple of years and its pretty crazy to see the way MVS has evolved into an NFL star. I don't think many of us would've predicted the magnitude of his pro success to the extent that it has based on his USF experience alone.  

:hijack:

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,089
  • Days Won:  56

21 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Been a Nova fan most of my life. They came down to the old SunDome and I went to the game to cheer on 'nova.  They were highly ranked (and missing one of their top 3 players) and USF missed a 3 pointer as time expired that would have won the game. I left a USF fan although Villanova is still my second favorite team.

Will never forget the season we beat Nova 3 times!

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

On 6/21/2022 at 9:04 AM, zarnozdabull said:

It was actually exciting to watch Big East football, while I have to force myself to get excited about watching AAC football. This one is pretty easy.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:46 AM, USFRaider said:

I am definitely in the same boat as you when it comes to watching AAC football. And it is going to get even more boring in 2023 in my opinion. 

Hmmm, must just be me then. I watch USF football for USF. Although we've been losing most games the last decade or so, I can still watch my alma mater play and still feel excited.

It's too bad that it appears to be such a chore to watch AAC games for some of our "fans." Maybe a few extra cold beers or a strong espresso shot (or 10) can make things more exciting.

• Crying 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  12,253
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Hmmm, must just be me then. I watch USF football for USF. Although we've been losing most games the last decade or so, I can still watch my alma mater play and still feel excited.

It's too bad that it appears to be such a chore to watch AAC games for some of our "fans." Maybe a few extra cold beers or a strong espresso shot (or 10) can make things more exciting.

I hate watching USF lose period. IF we were winning in the AAC and trying to move forward no one would be complaining when we are going backwards for over 10 years there is a problem.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We still having these "discussions"?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

6 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I hate watching USF lose period. IF we were winning in the AAC and trying to move forward no one would be complaining when we are going backwards for over 10 years there is a problem.

We've been going backwards for 4 years ....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  12,253
  • Days Won:  25

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

We've been going backwards for 4 years ....

Really so skip losing and the big east collapsing wasn't moving backwards ? WT having a losing record overall and showing hope wasn't moving backwards? Ccs is the only coach who even had a winning record here and he moved us back. Cjs has moved up back even further than CCS but the incoming transfers and coordinators provides some hope. Since CJL was fired and yes I know he is never coming back as head coach , the program has just went backwards overall that isn't even up for debate.