• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BE/AAC Conference Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,834
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Every time, which is infrequent, that I doubt my position on this AND when people say we just got beat too often by Rutgers or the "collapse/plateau" stuff my mind goes to something I thought was pretty crazy.  And I also think of it in this case, At just one position in the Big East we got to experience the following on the opposite side - all at one time:

Pitt:   LeSean MCoy 2007-08; Deion Lewis 2009-10
Rutgers: Ray Rice 2005-07
UConn: Donald Brown 2006-08
WVU: Steve Slaton 2005-07

2007 was a weird college football season, no doubt.  But never has there been a stable of college RBs like the Big East had in 2007.  We've never been good at stopping physical backs at any time in program history.  See Cook, Dalvin or Taylor, Jonathan.

And to think in our entire existence the only back that could come close to being considered in that group is Marlon Mack.  I don't think the AAC has ever been able to claim any such preponderance of talent in a single, critical skill position.

Big East by a landslide, not only a preponderance of evidence but also beyond a reasonable doubt.  Jury has spoken and court is adjourned.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,339
  • Days Won:  5

I can't fathom how anyone could think the aac was ever close to better than the Big East.  I can only assume they weren't around back then.

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,087
  • Days Won:  56

Big East was better top to bottom in football and hoops was extra special. I grew up in NY State and I’m still a hoops guy over football, so those Big East hoops days were unbelievable to me, playing Georgetown, Cuse, Nova, etc. Wow!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Big East was better top to bottom in football and hoops was extra special. I grew up in NY State and I’m still a hoops guy over football, so those Big East hoops days were unbelievable to me, playing Georgetown, Cuse, Nova, etc. Wow!

Been a Nova fan most of my life. They came down to the old SunDome and I went to the game to cheer on 'nova.  They were highly ranked (and missing one of their top 3 players) and USF missed a 3 pointer as time expired that would have won the game. I left a USF fan although Villanova is still my second favorite team.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,323
  • Days Won:  10

7 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Been a Nova fan most of my life. They came down to the old SunDome and I went to the game to cheer on 'nova.  They were highly ranked (and missing one of their top 3 players) and USF missed a 3 pointer as time expired that would have won the game. I left a USF fan although Villanova is still my second favorite team.

I don't know about now, Cuz, but they were a powerhouse in Track and Field back when I was running.

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

43 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

I don't know about now, Cuz, but they were a powerhouse in Track and Field back when I was running.

It was just basketball for me. Remember that win vs Georgetown. Watched all the Big 5 teams but Villanova was my favorite.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Days Won:  3

Pitt, who was mid-major in the Big East, alone had bigger and faster players than most teams in the AAC.

It was actually exciting to watch Big East football, while I have to force myself to get excited about watching AAC football. This one is pretty easy.

Also,

Flowers > Grothe = Daniels

Can't imagine what a prime QF and his fantastic football protection (Grothe's biggest flaw) would've done with the 2007 or 2009 defense.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, Grateful Dad said:

Not so much now. When they had Marty Liquori in the late 60s he had some epic duals against Jim Ryan from KU. Today, the northeast does not do much in track and field collegiately.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  6

40 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

It was actually exciting to watch Big East football, while I have to force myself to get excited about watching AAC football. This one is pretty easy.

I am definitely in the same boat as you when it comes to watching AAC football. And it is going to get even more boring in 2023 in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

Big East for sure.  Maybe I don't have a bunch of stats, but that's just my gut based on the following:

• When we were competitive in the Big East, the competition seemed so much better than when we were competitive in the AAC (like in 2017).  
  • If the AAC was as good as the BE, then why weren't we packing our stadium when we were beating every team in our  AAC division (but still couldn't win the conference)?  In my opinion its because the general population regarded the AAC competition as not that big of a deal.
  • When we were competing with teams in the BE in our prime, it was out of the question to even think of losing to one of the teams in the current AAC (except for cincinatti who was in the BE with us.). We would typically beat these teams down (including central) badly and as expected.  I don't think these teams we play in the AAC now are that much better that they were then...we are just far worse.
  • Upvote 1