• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DeSatan vetoes USF Marine Science project

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,088
  • Days Won:  56

eos-building-render-733-504.jpeg

The center's mission is to address 'the existential challenges created by climate change, including sea level rise, high tide flooding events and other coastal hazards.'

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Saw this earlier

IMG_9420-scaled.jpg

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed the state budget for the 2022-23 fiscal year into...

• Upvote 1

The Marine Science project was a game-changer for the SP campus and a unique opportunity to position USF as a leader in the field.

KSHNQZW7J5A5HFM5W5MP3EKHBE.jpg

The university will ask Florida lawmakers for $30 million in the...

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Does the university prioritize its requests or do they all go up to be approved equally?  It seems like the university would have #1-1000, but I don't know.  Would also be good to know where this ranked in its many needs (in the U's eyes).

Only the U can tell us that, I guess, but at this point, I’m sure they would be reticent to say anything that might ruffle our governor and bring down his wrath. See: Disney, Tampa Bay Rays.

Times story confirms the project was at the top of USF’s priority list: 

WSKUPM4WKNCEZD2UUCNFXGHXYU.jpg

Supporters of the proposed ocean science center look to next year’s legislative session.

• Topic Count:  2,328
  • Content Count:  21,278
  • Days Won:  10

Always next year.  Don't give up.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

When DeSantis is sitting in the White House in 2024 (hopefully as the VP), USF can make another run at the project. Maybe opinions and attitudes will change by then - sorta like the climate (having fun with you Dave after reading your headline - I'll buy you a beer next time we meet up). I won't let a slight difference in politics destroy my love for USF. My best friend is a big Bernie guy... however our hate for UF (and now UCF) TRUMPS our differences in the political arena.

I do find it funny they are talking about the rise in the sea levels (because of climate change of course), yet the pictures keep showing this building on prime real estate along the water. If sea levels were that concerning, would you really want to build such a beautiful facility next to the water? Head scratcher... but hey, the Obamas kept spouting off about climate change and sure enough they have a beautiful property right on the beach.  

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 5:03 AM, The Sheriff said:

When DeSantis is sitting in the White House in 2024 (hopefully as the VP), USF can make another run at the project. Maybe opinions and attitudes will change by then - sorta like the climate (having fun with you Dave after reading your headline - I'll buy you a beer next time we meet up). I won't let a slight difference in politics destroy my love for USF. My best friend is a big Bernie guy... however our hate for UF (and now UCF) TRUMPS our differences in the political arena.

I do find it funny they are talking about the rise in the sea levels (because of climate change of course), yet the pictures keep showing this building on prime real estate along the water. If sea levels were that concerning, would you really want to build such a beautiful facility next to the water? Head scratcher... but hey, the Obamas kept spouting off about climate change and sure enough they have a beautiful property right on the beach.  

Sheriff, we go back a long ways. You know I appreciate you. Agree with you? Nope. But appreciate you, for sure. Go Bulls!

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Looks like some donors got in DeSantis's ear:

WSKUPM4WKNCEZD2UUCNFXGHXYU.jpg

The governor has nothing against the project slated for the St. Petersburg...

• Upvote 2