• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The TBP Official In Game Thread: Bulls vs ECU - ESPN+

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,832
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

You don't actually know if any of the 460,000 college athletes got sick or passed away in the last 18 months because only a handful of them would actually make news.  but there have been a few.

Vaccinated people die at a small rate -- 1 per million ... and most college athletes are vaccinated.  So I would not expect a large number of deaths.

Plus... don't forget, people who are infected can spread to others - friends, classmates, family members, coaches.

December 1, 2021 — A small but significant percentage of college athletes with COVID-19 develop myocarditis, a potentially dangerous inflammation of...

Tyler Blaylock, 20, died of COVID complications Sept. 16, 2021.
39d894d0-f21d-11ea-9bff-eb0db7715314

The defensive lineman died on Sept. 9. He played in 32 games for the school in his career.
PEACOCK.jpg?w=900

Western Carolina University offensive line coach John Peacock died on Wednesday at the age of 32,...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/09/09/college-football-players-death-no-longer-attributed-to-covid-19/amp/

#fakenews

you are telling me a college athlete dying from this would not make the news,  the virus is real, people get sick, most…99.9 percent live so we shouldn’t be treating this like smallpox or polio, that is all I am saying.  Yes they can get others sick, let the people that want to live in a bunker do just that, I would be perfectly ok with that.  

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,467
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/09/09/college-football-players-death-no-longer-attributed-to-covid-19/amp/

#fakenews

you are telling me a college athlete dying from this would not make the news,  the virus is real, people get sick, most…99.9 percent live so we shouldn’t be treating this like smallpox or polio, that is all I am saying.  Yes they can get others sick, let the people that want to live in a bunker do just that, I would be perfectly ok with that.  

That's now how it works... you don't isolate healthy people because they want to be healthy.  You isolate sick people and sources of infection because you want to prevent them from getting others sick.  Why do you think they close restaurants where a Hepatitis B case happens?  Do you just tell people "avoid this restaurant if you don't want Hepatitis?"

From the start, this has never ever been about death.  It's about illness... it's about preventing the spread of an illness that has wildly varying effects on people.  No one knows yet who will catch this and have no real issues or who will catch this and end up in ICU for weeks.  Doctors are better at treating this, so fewer people will die.  But people still get sick, people still end up in the hospital, and that has downstream effects:

UEVZJO6N6BHTZLB5FQXUCG5B2I.jpg&w=1440

“It was terribly frustrating being told, ‘There’s not a bed yet,’ ” said Jenifer Owenson, one of Dale Weeks’s four children. Almost 82 percent of hospitalized covid-19...

I guess you subscribe to the Scrooge line "let them decrease the surplus population".

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

That's now how it works... you don't isolate healthy people because they want to be healthy.  You isolate sick people and sources of infection because you want to prevent them from getting others sick.  Why do you think they close restaurants where a Hepatitis B case happens?  Do you just tell people "avoid this restaurant if you don't want Hepatitis?"

From the start, this has never ever been about death.  It's about illness... it's about preventing the spread of an illness that has wildly varying effects on people.  No one knows yet who will catch this and have no real issues or who will catch this and end up in ICU for weeks.  Doctors are better at treating this, so fewer people will die.  But people still get sick, people still end up in the hospital, and that has downstream effects:

UEVZJO6N6BHTZLB5FQXUCG5B2I.jpg&w=1440

“It was terribly frustrating being told, ‘There’s not a bed yet,’ ” said Jenifer Owenson, one of Dale Weeks’s four children. Almost 82 percent of hospitalized covid-19...

I guess you subscribe to the Scrooge line "let them decrease the surplus population".

I don’t want anyone to die from this anymore than you do but it has been 2 years and this is having long term detrimental effects on a variety of things that are more important than people getting sick from something with a 99.9 percent survival rate.  People are going to get this illness regardless of whatever precautions we take, masks, vaccines etc. I got the vaccine, wish more would have but they didn’t for a variety of reasons so what is your long term suggestion to address this?  Mandate everyone gets the jab, wear cloth masks into perpetuity?  Or continue to plod along with this half assed effort to mitigate the spread?  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I don’t want anyone to die from this anymore than you do but it has been 2 years and this is having long term detrimental effects on a variety of things that are more important than people getting sick from something with a 99.9 percent survival rate.  People are going to get this illness regardless of whatever precautions we take, masks, vaccines etc. I got the vaccine, wish more would have but they didn’t for a variety of reasons so what is your long term suggestion to address this?  Mandate everyone gets the jab, wear cloth masks into perpetuity?  Or continue to plod along with this half assed effort to mitigate the spread?  

Again... it's not about the survival rate... because people who don't die still take up hospital resources... hospitals across the country are putting off procedures, or transferring patients around town ... Imagine you get injured in a car accident and sit in the ER because there are no beds available because they are taken up by people sick with covid, most or all of them unvaccinated?

Omicron's infectiousness may be a big benefit... some estimates there are a million cases per day in the US right now... with 3 to 5 million people walking around contagious and spreading the disease.  These next few weeks will see a lot more cases...

Once we get past Omicron... say end of February... and hospitals don't get overwhelmed, then we will probably see things start to unwind a bit.

And it's only half-assed because half the country is unwilling to cooperate (and it's on both sides of the partisan line).

7 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Again... it's not about the survival rate... because people who don't die still take up hospital resources... hospitals across the country are putting off procedures, or transferring patients around town ... Imagine you get injured in a car accident and sit in the ER because there are no beds available because they are taken up by people sick with covid, most or all of them unvaccinated?

Omicron's infectiousness may be a big benefit... some estimates there are a million cases per day in the US right now... with 3 to 5 million people walking around contagious and spreading the disease.  These next few weeks will see a lot more cases...

Once we get past Omicron... say end of February... and hospitals don't get overwhelmed, then we will probably see things start to unwind a bit.

And it's only half-assed because half the country is unwilling to cooperate (and it's on both sides of the partisan line).

Ok, so I got you down for the 1/2 assed approach.  Makes sense, if we completely let our guard down then every hospital is overrun.  Go 1/2 ass and we only get a million new cases a day versus 2 million per day or more.  I am a proponent of doing things 1/2 assed at times so who knows, you may be right.  

4 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Ok, so I got you down for the 1/2 assed approach.  Makes sense, if we completely let our guard down then every hospital is overrun.  Go 1/2 ass and we only get a million new cases a day versus 2 million per day or more.  I am a proponent of doing things 1/2 assed at times so who knows, you may be right.  

Well... the alternative would be to force everyone to be jabbed to do anything, and I don't see that happening as long as leaders can grift off people who don't want to do that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,341
  • Days Won:  2

As I mature I see the following shift in our society.

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.

Needs of the few now outweigh the needs of the many (sarcasm intended, fracking idiots)

I'm an engineer so to save time you can go ahead and assume that I'm right.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

9 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

9 hours ago, Friscobull said:

I waited 2 years to take my first trip. Went with friends to Vegas for Christmas.  Both couples vaxed and boosted. Home for 1 day and our friend is positive.  We had every meal together, used the same limos so I'm thinking within the next couple of days I'll be on that list. As of now the friend's wife, my wife and I are symptom free.  I thought what happened in Vegas was supposed to stay in Vegas. F me.  Didn't bring any money home but the f'n virus?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Game has been postponed 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Game has been postponed