• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Portal thread

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

College coaches looking to first fill immediate roster needs with portal travelers, so not being as quick to commit to bringing in as many high schoolers. Not sure how widespread of an impact on hs kids it is but can definitely see it affecting some of the the 2 and 3*'s out there.

Guess it could have some residual effect. But probably a lot of the transfers are 2 and 3 star recruits. Could be extra film on them and year of maturity/growth.  The extra year of covid eligibility probably changed things more.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

19 hours ago, widerberg said:

I wonder how long the portal is going to be a thing. I've been seeing a lot of tweets from high school coaches and recruiting consultants over the last few months complaining that the portal is destroying high school recruiting and, in particular, c/o 2022. Long term, that's not sustainable.

hahaha..... the slaves finally have freedom and leverage and the plantation owners are complaining

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mission9 said:

I wish them well. That said, when you play poorly on a 2-10 team and not good enough to start or play a lot, I am unsure who the takers will be.

a school in the lower division i image

as the song goes," if you cant make it at usf you cant make it anywhere"

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, smazza said:

hahaha..... the slaves finally have freedom and leverage and the plantation owners are complaining

Well, no. I was thinking more in terms of the kids. It's not college coaches complaining, it's the high school coaches who are trying to do right by their students who are not seeing anywhere near the normal number of college coach visits to their schools. 

As someone else mentioned, 4 and 5 star blue chip recruits aren't going to have an issue, although they may not get offers from the specific schools they want. But, all the other kids who are 1, 2, and 3 star, or no star or whatever. They're going to have a terrible time trying to find schools to play at. Some/many D1 kids will be going to D2 or NAIA schools and D2 or NAIA kids may get relegated to non-scholarship D3 schools. However it breaks down, it's going to mean the supply of incoming high school talent is going to get squeezed by JUCO or university kids hopping from program to program. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I know USF is pretty bare and picking from the portal is a good thing. But, it doesn't seem right to the kids coming up.

This isn't the NFL. I don't think free agency in college is a good thing. I guess I'm old school. You play in high school, you get recruited, you get offered, you make a commitment to a school, and you finish your college career at that school. If things go really sideways, you either stick it out, transfer down to FCS or whatever and play right away, or you sit out a year and play next year.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, widerberg said:

Well, no. I was thinking more in terms of the kids. It's not college coaches complaining, it's the high school coaches who are trying to do right by their students who are not seeing anywhere near the normal number of college coach visits to their schools. 

As someone else mentioned, 4 and 5 star blue chip recruits aren't going to have an issue, although they may not get offers from the specific schools they want. But, all the other kids who are 1, 2, and 3 star, or no star or whatever. They're going to have a terrible time trying to find schools to play at. Some/many D1 kids will be going to D2 or NAIA schools and D2 or NAIA kids may get relegated to non-scholarship D3 schools. However it breaks down, it's going to mean the supply of incoming high school talent is going to get squeezed by JUCO or university kids hopping from program to program. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I know USF is pretty bare and picking from the portal is a good thing. But, it doesn't seem right to the kids coming up.

This isn't the NFL. I don't think free agency in college is a good thing. I guess I'm old school. You play in high school, you get recruited, you get offered, you make a commitment to a school, and you finish your college career at that school. If things go really sideways, you either stick it out, transfer down to FCS or whatever and play right away, or you sit out a year and play next year.

My thing is this. If a team is losing players to the transfer portal, is it not opening up more spaces for a highschool recruit? Also, there is a lot of FCS players moving up to higher levels as well. G6 schools are getting more and better talent. To me, I feel the transfer portal is eventually going to better distribute the talent. Too many teams stock piling the best talent and wasting these players' careers on the bench. As for the players that dont end up with a new team, either they were too prideful to go down a level or just didnt live up to expectations and fate dealt them the proper hand. I think after a year or 2 when things settle, more coaches will embrace it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, widerberg said:

free agency is great everywhere

free will

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Now that the seasons over expect heavy portal activity.  Goings and comings.  

So far Cade Fortin and Ryan Thaxton are gone.

No disrespect to Fortin, but he did not show us much this year on the field.   Maybe he was super awesome in practice, but he was practicing against our defense, and our defense made Tulane look like Alabama.  

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

My thing is this. If a team is losing players to the transfer portal, is it not opening up more spaces for a highschool recruit? Also, there is a lot of FCS players moving up to higher levels as well. G6 schools are getting more and better talent. To me, I feel the transfer portal is eventually going to better distribute the talent. Too many teams stock piling the best talent and wasting these players' careers on the bench. As for the players that dont end up with a new team, either they were too prideful to go down a level or just didnt live up to expectations and fate dealt them the proper hand. I think after a year or 2 when things settle, more coaches will embrace it. 

I'm not a coach, so I'm not seeing it first hand. But, what I'm hearing locally and seeing on Twitter is that as schools lose to the portal they also backfill from the portal. Of course, high school recruiting is still happening, just not like it was even last year or in previous years and offers are coming much later in the process than in the past. We're still relatively early in the process for the c/o 2022 cycle, so it's not the end of the world. I was reading somewhere that something like 1000 more kids hit the portal this season than last. Maybe it'll be a great thing, and if it distributes talent better and gives kids an actual playing experience somewhere rather than a practice and bench riding experience, then that's a great thing. I'm just leery. I do hope it all works out, though, especially in USF's case.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

49 minutes ago, widerberg said:

Again the courts are siding with the players now. High school coaches can complain all they want the portal is here to stay. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

Fortin, To bad but very understandable. Appears Fortin and Williams (2 prior P5 starters) weren't good enough to play for USF-interesting. Marsh? Wouldn't surprise me if he joins the flow out. Hope they all land well and tear it up somewhere else. If we start to see a mass exodus might be worrisome. Just hope McC protects CJS paycheck next season.