• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

11 hours ago, BulledOver said:

Yep. He did get a lot of playing time and he did have AhHa moments. With all the coaching changes I imagine there might be some starter types in the portal soon. I think we will see Marsh or Fortin transfer I'd be surprised if they didnt. I'd like to see CJS bring in a starter type guy then give McC a good, honest comparison. See if he really is that guy. The freshman tag only works for so long if you're a starter at D-1 level. Like Marsh-he looked exactly like last year he showed no improvement. Has talent but not game changing. Time will tell. I was on the shelf on McC but his last 2 games were pathetic instead of showing vast improvement. 

McC wasn't here last year. How could he not show improvement like Marsh?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

12 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

McC wasn't here last year. How could he not show improvement like Marsh?

<Yes Yes, I'm also aware of that point.> Possibly I should have articulated better so not to create confusion...Point was, Marsh, looked exactly like(he did) last year-no change (though a sophmore 2021) no worse but no improvement. Pulling from the preceding sentence re: freshman. McC (lots of reps-game time) flamed at the end of the year. Why? Tired out? Previous injury? Brain fart? Had enough? No O line protection? Talent peaked? Can only see Primary receivers? Predictable to opponents to set their D? Many times they took away his left side which created havoc for him. Guess we wont know until next season??? Unless we have a defense that can shut down teams-keep them from scoring then we need a top shelf QB. Next season....?

• Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

15 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

<Yes Yes, I'm also aware of that point.> Possibly I should have articulated better so not to create confusion...Point was, Marsh, looked exactly like(he did) last year-no change (though a sophmore 2021) no worse but no improvement. Pulling from the preceding sentence re: freshman. McC (lots of reps-game time) flamed at the end of the year. Why? Tired out? Previous injury? Brain fart? Had enough? No O line protection? Talent peaked? Can only see Primary receivers? Predictable to opponents to set their D? Many times they took away his left side which created havoc for him. Guess we wont know until next season??? Unless we have a defense that can shut down teams-keep them from scoring then we need a top shelf QB. Next season....?

Thought that is what you meant but it didn't read that way.  The highlighted one would be my guess as to #1 on your list.

19 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Thought that is what you meant but it didn't read that way.  The highlighted one would be my guess as to #1 on your list.

Shooting for confusion and anarchy. Ok, just to make you feel better I will make your #1 my #1 just for causing confusion before. Kinda an olive branch moment. But, CJS has got to know the kid is predictable when he has to leave the pocket which always appears to be McC #1. Maybe they can hone him some before next year?? But, we do a very very qualified and talented at #2 even if they assume the #1 told if they are more talented than McC. Afraid if CJS is hanging his hat on him and nobody else it may not work out well for us. Again, time will tell. Someday we need to break out of the "rebuild mode". 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, BulledOver said:

You?Just?Set?The?Record?For?Most?Question?Marks?In?A?Post? 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,455
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, BulledOver said:

You may not remember... but Grothe had similar issues his first season - locking in on the primary target a few too many times.  Remember, he threw nearly as many interceptions as touchdowns.  But with more experience, he learned to read through progressions.  Both Grothe and Flowers, again in their first seasons, also held the ball too long trying hard to make something out of nothing... with some amazing plays, and some unfortunate mistakes.  They both learned the right balance... and eventually reduced those types of "trying too hard" mistakes.  Flowers first season he threw the ball low too often... but that improved the next year.

McClain did not flame out at the end of the year.  He had some issues reading defenses pre-snap... he threw some questionable throws... he often didn't read progressions... he often scrambled when all he needed to do is step up.  With a full off-season, including a full spring, McClain will correct all of these issues.

Timmy McClain has the potential to be better than Grothe, Flowers, Daniels, and Blackwell.  We will start seeing that next season.

2022 USF could return to the time when it scored 35 points in every game.  Even if the defense is only average, USF will go bowling next year.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

You?Just?Set?The?Record?For?Most?Question?Marks?In?A?Post? 😂😂😂

Only because I am a U?F Bu??'s fan...they seem to always have so so many ?? revolving around the football program. It would be nice to start taking them for granted as a winning program that way I could switch over to !!! Yea!!! Yahoo !!! Yippee Ki Yay Ki Yo !!!          But sadly, until that day it is a chronic ❓Eddie Murphy Whatever GIF by Coming to America

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jim Johnson said:

You may not remember... but Grothe had similar issues his first season - locking in on the primary target a few too many times.  Remember, he threw nearly as many interceptions as touchdowns.  But with more experience, he learned to read through progressions.  Both Grothe and Flowers, again in their first seasons, also held the ball too long trying hard to make something out of nothing... with some amazing plays, and some unfortunate mistakes.  They both learned the right balance... and eventually reduced those types of "trying too hard" mistakes.  Flowers first season he threw the ball low too often... but that improved the next year.

McClain did not flame out at the end of the year.  He had some issues reading defenses pre-snap... he threw some questionable throws... he often didn't read progressions... he often scrambled when all he needed to do is step up.  With a full off-season, including a full spring, McClain will correct all of these issues.

Timmy McClain has the potential to be better than Grothe, Flowers, Daniels, and Blackwell.  We will start seeing that next season.

2022 USF could return to the time when it scored 35 points in every game.  Even if the defense is only average, USF will go bowling next year.

Well now, that was a written whoopin. I've said it all before but I will reiterate, McC has talent. He did some pretty impressive things. And yes, I recall the other QB situations of the "past" but this is now. This is a diff coach and players. In the past we had some defensives that could make up for some of our QB mistakes. I am correct in my observations of our QB based upon my opinion-like yourself. We got to Tulane a very winnable game but...We got to the UCF game which was a possible for a win but... Now, not all of it is laid on McC he had a non-supporting cast but he certainly contributed to the losses in a big way based upon his play. 2022? Yep, I hope we are at the least a 6 win team. I hope we do go to the long overdue bowl game. McC is the present and the future(?) the past is the past entirely diff teams and coaching staffs. 

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,455
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, BulledOver said:

Well now, that was a written whoopin. I've said it all before but I will reiterate, McC has talent. He did some pretty impressive things. And yes, I recall the other QB situations of the "past" but this is now. This is a diff coach and players. In the past we had some defensives that could make up for some of our QB mistakes. I am correct in my observations of our QB based upon my opinion-like yourself. We got to Tulane a very winnable game but...We got to the UCF game which was a possible for a win but... Now, not all of it is laid on McC he had a non-supporting cast but he certainly contributed to the losses in a big way based upon his play. 2022? Yep, I hope we are at the least a 6 win team. I hope we do go to the long overdue bowl game. McC is the present and the future(?) the past is the past entirely diff teams and coaching staffs. 

Different players and different coaches... but the same thing happened.  Because this is how it generally works for everyone except a very few players every year.  And as you mentioned, the outcomes of every game are always on the team, not any one player or any one play.  Did McClain make mistakes? Sure.  Did those mistakes alone cost wins? To me, not at all. (You attribute more of the team's failure to McClain, "in a big way," than I would.)

I pointed out the past players because they are great examples of two talented winning quarterbacks who had the same problems but turned it around...to maybe give you more hope for the future.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,742
  • Days Won:  17

On 11/26/2021 at 6:25 PM, TheUpperHand said:

Sonny Dykes is out at SMU. Wonder if they'll elevate Jim Leavitt to HC or if his job will be at the mercy of the incoming coach. Bring him here as DC, fire Brad Scott and have CJL mentor CJS/serve as HC in waiting if CJS fails to field a satisfactory team in Year 3.

CJL needs to Make USF Great Again!

• Go Bulls! 1