• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

24 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Not sure about BJ, he is the QB coach and needs more work on Timmy. 

mcclain made so many bad plays. how can you blame the oc?

didnt bj tell mcclain dont run backwards?

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

21 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Not sure about BJ, he is the QB coach and needs more work on Timmy. 

I’d love for BJ to one day become our OC (if he’s good enough), but would rather him learn the position somewhere else. We need an OC and DC who actually have experience

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

11 minutes ago, smazza said:

mcclain made so many bad plays. how can you blame the oc?

didnt bj tell mcclain dont run backwards?

indirectly yes...BJ has to work on game presence

8 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

I’d love for BJ to one day become our OC (if he’s good enough), but would rather him learn the position somewhere else. We need an OC and DC who actually have experience

Agreed

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

13 minutes ago, smazza said:

not so fast

we played against a frshman qb that was horrible but better than our freshman qb

Fair...that was about as impressive performance that any coordinator could give though...and you've seen our defense with the same players all year no? If Spencer was still coaching tonight's game would've been 35-13...count it...and he would've blamed the same players...

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,797
  • Days Won:  0

Tackling was ridiculous but Ernie not ready yet. I still want someone more proven.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

4 hours ago, TheUpperHand said:

Sonny Dykes is out at SMU. Wonder if they'll elevate Jim Leavitt to HC or if his job will be at the mercy of the incoming coach. Bring him here as DC, fire Brad Scott and have CJL mentor CJS/serve as HC in waiting if CJS fails to field a satisfactory team in Year 3.

I would love to see CJL back here, but that would be immensely damaging to the program to have him as DC. You cannot have the Godfather of USF football sitting a room over from CJS on the coaching staff. It will breed enmity and resentment for both. The time to bring CJS in would have been two years ago when he was available and somewhat hot and ready. And it would have been a home run from a fundraising and program perspective even if we didn't start winning quickly. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,552
  • Days Won:  29

13 hours ago, DJBulls said:

Make him the d-coordinator and move on to next year...

Based on 1 game? 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

13 hours ago, TheUpperHand said:

Sonny Dykes is out at SMU. Wonder if they'll elevate Jim Leavitt to HC or if his job will be at the mercy of the incoming coach. Bring him here as DC, fire Brad Scott and have CJL mentor CJS/serve as HC in waiting if CJS fails to field a satisfactory team in Year 3.

How long is it going to take for some of you to realize that JL is NEVER EVER NEVER EVER coming back? He is gone…that’s it. Christ, move on already. He was a great coach who did great things for us but his time is over as a head coach and certainly as a USF head coach. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

8 hours ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

I would love to see CJL back here, but that would be immensely damaging to the program to have him as DC. You cannot have the Godfather of USF football sitting a room over from CJS on the coaching staff. It will breed enmity and resentment for both. The time to bring CJS in would have been two years ago when he was available and somewhat hot and ready. And it would have been a home run from a fundraising and program perspective even if we didn't start winning quickly. 

It's not necessarily unprecedented for a HC to return in another capacity. Tom Osborne and Barry Alvarez returned to their respective programs as athletic directors -- while they didn't build Nebraska and Wisconsin, respectively from the ground up, they are considered the modern godfathers of their programs.

Now, obviously this is completely different -- CJL left under entirely different circumstances, and this would mean returning as subordinate to another coach, which I'm sure he wouldn't do anyways. I know it's not a realistic idea (nor a good one for that matter). My real points probably more so being that:

• We need a DC and CJL is a fine one who may be out of a job soon with SMUs new coach coming in.

• With Judy gone and given the malaise that's been around the team, it'd be great to reconcile with CJL and get him involved with the program again in some fashion.

• We need to get Brad Scott out of here and CJS needs another mentor -- I don't like the idea of having a family member on staff in an advisory capacity. Reminds me of how CWT insists on bringing Raymond Woodie with him everywhere regardless of whether he was qualified. Not a family member, but a family friend, same kind of idea.

that would be immensely damaging to the program

Couldn't agree more. Up until this point, we've completely avoided any decisions or missteps that have been damaging to the program 😉

Edited by TheUpperHand
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

How long is it going to take for some of you to realize that JL is NEVER EVER NEVER EVER coming back?

How long you got?

• Haha 1