• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

By the end of this thing, people are going to just start having each sentence be its own post lol

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

By the end of this thing, people are going to just start having each sentence be its own post lol

What

do

Just now, raptorcj said:

do

you

Just now, raptorcj said:
Just now, raptorcj said:

do

you

mean?

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

6 hours ago, HR Bull said:

The SEC is going to take FSU opening a path for us to join the ACC after the BIG 12 makes their moves of course.

I think this is a more likely (and desirable) path to Power 5 than Big 12.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,681
  • Days Won:  14

23 minutes ago, Raetus said:

I think this is a more likely (and desirable) path to Power 5 than Big 12.

Thought the GOR would prevent anything like this from happening, at least until it expires in the 2030s.

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

28 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Thought the GOR would prevent anything like this from happening, at least until it expires in the 2030s.

I think in theory that would be correct. I'm definitely no expert but from my experience a contract means very little in the U.S. with the right combination of money, lawyers, and patience. I also haven't read the GOR contract to know if there are any liquidated damages provisions that would reduce this to merely a numbers game.

I think those trying to enforce GOR will find Judges (especially at the higher courts) that are unlikely to force someone to stay in the contract with no means of exit for such a lengthy period.

In a manner, it's sort of like how they deal with absurdly long non-compete clauses or contracts. Sure, you can make them and everyone can agree, but if someone wants out of it 5 years into a 10-year non-compete, they're getting out of that 9/10 times if they hire the right attorney. It really depends on the jurisdiction for the case.

Also, I don't imagine that it would be a quick process, so unless they got an injunction preventing the leaving party from leaving, the leaving university would be able to leave and do whatever they'd like until the suit was resolved. At that point, the damage would have been done to the original conference and most sound minds would push toward settlement.

Look at Maryland and the ACC as an example -- def not the same exact thing, but along similar lines for breach of contract.

Edited by Raetus

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,681
  • Days Won:  14

27 minutes ago, Raetus said:

I think in theory that would be correct. I'm definitely no expert but from my experience a contract means very little in the U.S. with the right combination of money, lawyers, and patience. I also haven't read the GOR contract to know if there are any liquidated damages provisions that would reduce this to merely a numbers game.

I think those trying to enforce GOR will find Judges (especially at the higher courts) that are unlikely to force someone to stay in the contract with no means of exit for such a lengthy period.

In a manner, it's sort of like how they deal with absurdly long non-compete clauses or contracts. Sure, you can make them and everyone can agree, but if someone wants out of it 5 years into a 10-year non-compete, they're getting out of that 9/10 times if they hire the right attorney. It really depends on the jurisdiction for the case.

Also, I don't imagine that it would be a quick process, so unless they got an injunction preventing the leaving party from leaving, the leaving university would be able to leave and do whatever they'd like until the suit was resolved. At that point, the damage would have been done to the original conference and most sound minds would push toward settlement.

Look at Maryland and the ACC as an example -- def not the same exact thing, but along similar lines for breach of contract.

It may be possible, but I don't think it's likely.  I think it's more likely FSU sticks to its deal.  

Short of joining the Big XII, I think our best opportunity for joining the P5 is to make it a P6, by elevating the long-term level of play and competitiveness of the AAC.  Will it be easy?  Nope. But it could happen if there's long-term conference stability and we have enough time to develop our athletics programs.

And we will probably never have the money of the other conferences, but we can definitely go up from where we are now, and in any case the primary objective should be meaningful access to the playoff system.  I think we can achieve that without the $30 million payouts that some P5 schools get.

And who knows?  Maybe Aresco can pull a rabbit out of his hat - with a big, creative TV deal with a new media partner like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Edited by TallyBull