• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

36 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

Religious discrimination ok, discrimination against homosexuals not ok, it would be nice if we where all equally able to discriminate.

Who is discriminating against religion? Nobody has a right to take away someone else's rights even if you call it religion.

Edited by ToroDeFuego

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

It's "tenet", and hypocrisy will send us all to hell...:LoveFest:

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

1 minute ago, raptorcj said:

It's "tenet", and hypocrisy will send us all to hell...:LoveFest:

It is indeed. Thank you.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I understand this thread has covered matter of all types BESIDES realignment, but let's at least keep it off Mad Cow-type discourse, por favor.  

Personally, I think our care package to the Big 12 needs to include a Publix Italian sub, a medianoche from West Tampa Sandwich Shop (which I intend to give a try when I'm down there in October)., some Tampa-made cigars and Cigar City brew mix, enough for each B12 president, and gift cards to Mons Venus.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

a medianoche from West Tampa Sandwich Shop

Cuban Breezes in Oldsmar has a very good medianoche also.

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

:popcorn:

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

28 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I understand this thread has covered matter of all types BESIDES realignment, but let's at least keep it off Mad Cow-type discourse, por favor.  

Tbh, I think it's completely relevant. BYU is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If they are to be a member of the Big 12 and intend to stand by practices that marginalize groups, then that's not an organization I want USF (a public entity) to be involved with. The Big 12 already has TCU and Baylor who are faith-based schools, but to my knowledge, neither is directly operated by a church. While Baptist and Disciples of Christ faiths have each had their mishaps over the years, there aren't overarching institutions for either that own and operate either of these universities, so their beliefs (to me) are whatever principles the respective university says it stands behind and that's cool with me. That's completely different for BYU.

LDS = BYU

It's no different than SMU or Tulsa (both faith-affiliated universities instead of faith-owned-and-operated). Both universities are influenced by their faith and I think there is nothing wrong with that, but they aren't organizations actively advocating against certain groups.

When I was at USF (2003 or 2004, I believe?), a group of LDS members dropped by my apartment. I had nothing better to do and they seemed like nice fellows, so I invited them in and said I had no problem listening to them. I asked them about their faith and they walked me through the Book of Mormon. That included discussions about how my skin color was likely either a product of being a descendant of Cain or a descendant of the Lamanites, which each were cursed by God/Jesus for their sins. They said this with a very matter-of-fact approach and in the nicest way possible.

I believe, recently in the past couple of years, the Church has FINALLY dropped this approach from official doctrine, but that's a weird and unacceptable thing to be preaching to a brown-skinned person in 2003. If they're continuing the same with homosexuals, then I want no part of being affiliated with LDS. I would be offended to have my university in league with a BYU that hasn't disavowed that aspect of their belief.

Edited by Raetus
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,006
  • Days Won:  38

This thread is starting to become a bummer after 872 glorious pages.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

On 7/25/2016 at 10:13 AM, UCFKnight04 said:

Fgjcx

Edited by NavyUSFGuy

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

6 minutes ago, Raetus said:

Tbh, I think it's completely relevant. BYU is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If they are to be a member of the Big 12 and intend to stand by practices that marginalize groups, then that's not an organization I want USF (a public entity) to be involved with. The Big 12 already has TCU and Baylor who are faith-based schools, but to my knowledge, neither is directly operated by a church. While Baptist and Disciples of Christ faiths have each had their mishaps over the years, there aren't overarching institutions for either that own and operate either of these universities, so their beliefs (to me) are whatever principles the respective university says it stands behind and that's cool with me. That's completely different for BYU.

LDS = BYU

It's no different than SMU or Tulsa (both faith-affiliated universities instead of faith-owned-and-operated). Both universities are influenced by their faith and I think there is nothing wrong with that, but they aren't organizations actively advocating against certain groups.

When I was at USF (2003 or 2004, I believe?), a group of LDS members dropped by my apartment. I had nothing better to do and they seemed like nice fellows, so I invited them in and said I had no problem listening to them. I asked them about their faith and they walked me through the Book of Mormon. That included discussions about how my skin color was likely either a product of being a descendant of Cain or a descendant of the Lamanites, which each were cursed by God/Jesus for their sins. They said this with a very matter-of-fact approach and in the nicest way possible.

I believe, recently in the past couple of years, the Church has FINALLY dropped this approach from official doctrine, but that's a weird and unacceptable thing to be preaching to a brown-skinned person in 2003. If they're continuing the same with homosexuals, then I want no part of being affiliated with LDS. I would be offended to have my university in league with a BYU that hasn't disavowed that aspect of their belief.

Just to be clear (I express no opinion either way), you would want us to turn down an invitation to the Big XII if BYU were also invited?  Yes or no?