• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

realistic expectations

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  6

6 hours ago, Sk00b said:

No way. I don't believe it.

It will be difficult to make the claim that progress is being made if we lose to a bad Tulsa team, at home,with TWO weeks to prepare for the game.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

7 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

,with TWO weeks to prepare for the game.

I'm definitely keeping my eye on how prepared the team looks in the first half.  So far it is bad every time.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

I'm definitely keeping my eye on how prepared the team looks in the first half.  So far it is bad every time.

I will be as well.  I am actually looking forward to seeing how the team comes out in the 1st half, knowing that they had two weeks to prepare for the game.  All I keep hearing is progress, progress, progress, well on October 16th, we will get to see for sure if there is any progress being made.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Days Won:  3

If CJS shows a hint, just a hint, of killer instinct against Tulsa it will be an improvement.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

4 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

If CJS shows a hint, just a hint, of killer instinct against Tulsa it will be an improvement.

I thought he showed this against BYU. If you want to talk timid turtle play calling, there was not more timid than the berkenstock and sock wearing ex coach, Charlie Strong.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Paisa el Toro said:

I thought he showed this against BYU. If you want to talk timid turtle play calling, there was not more timid than the berkenstock and sock wearing ex coach, Charlie Strong.

Skip was more timid. I remember him letting the clock run down from about 30 seconds to less than 5, inside the 5 yard line, with timeouts, not 3rd or 4th down,  to attempt a FG just before half. He pulled that nonsense twice, vs. Cincy & Miami. Had the entire stadium booing. That kind of crap was nauseating. He did manage to pull a couple of big wins out of his arse somehow, but his style of coaching was just awful I thought. He would get slightly aggressive on offense when they were behind, then get ultra conservative with the slightest lead. So many games came down to the wire because of that. I remember him pointing out that they went 5-7, but were 6 plays away from 11-1. Was the Skip tenure worse than Strong's? It's a toss-up IMO.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

8 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Skip was more timid. I remember him letting the clock run down from about 30 seconds to less than 5, inside the 5 yard line, with timeouts, not 3rd or 4th down,  to attempt a FG just before half. He pulled that nonsense twice, vs. Cincy & Miami. Had the entire stadium booing. That kind of crap was nauseating. He did manage to pull a couple of big wins out of his arse somehow, but his style of coaching was just awful I thought. He would get slightly aggressive on offense when they were behind, then get ultra conservative with the slightest lead. So many games came down to the wire because of that. I remember him pointing out that they went 5-7, but were 6 plays away from 11-1. Was the Skip tenure worse than Strong's? It's a toss-up IMO.

This sounds exactly like how CJS would handle situations if he was close enough for it to matter, there is nothing about him that is distinguishable from CSH and I’m pretty certain if you yelled Skippy across a crowded room he would respond.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

8 minutes ago, puc86 said:

This sounds exactly like how CJS would handle situations if he was close enough for it to matter, there is nothing about him that is distinguishable from CSH and I’m pretty certain if you yelled Skippy across a crowded room he would respond.

Sure that punt at SMU was indefensible but he has shown more towards being aggressive than not:

• BYU went for it on 4th and 1 at our OWN 34 in the first quarter
  • Proceeded to go for it on 4th down 4 more times that game converting all of them and all those drives ending in scores
  • onside kick at the end of that game with 5 minutes left
  • converted a 4th down touchdown vs SMU when a field goal would have also made it a 2 score game
  • Gave us a chance at the end of the half to take a shot at the end zone before kicking the field goal. Hopefully Timmy learned his lesson to throw it away there if the first read isn't there.

I get bagging on him for that punt. But it's one conservative call, if that happens again sure it can be a trend. But as for now thats just as likely a one off mistake

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

3 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Sure that punt at SMU was indefensible but he has shown more towards being aggressive than not:

• Proceeded to go for it on 4th down 4 more times that game converting all of them and all those drives ending in scores
  • converted a 4th down touchdown vs SMU when a field goal would have also made it a 2 score game
  • Gave us a chance at the end of the half to take a shot at the end zone before kicking the field goal. Hopefully Timmy learned his lesson to throw it away there if the first read isn't there.

I get bagging on him for that punt. But it's one conservative call, if that happens again sure it can be a trend. But as for now thats just as likely a one off mistake

It's pretty much been proven that the reality of situations doesn't get in some's way when it comes to CJS trashing. Only thing that's going to put a damper on their fun are some FBS wins ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Agreed. I really don't see Scott being overly conservative at all, certainly nowhere near as conservative as Skip was.