• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do we sell out Ray Jay with mainly Bulls fans before getting an OCS?

What Happens First?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,467
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

I will argue that, 2-5 miles in NC vastly different then the 11 mike trek down Fowler, 275.  Either way like Many have stated, we feel like visitors at home, need an OCS but more than anything we need an FBS team, we really don’t have that now from what I can tell. 

There are benefits to an OCS (better game day experience, renuve from advertisting/concessions/parking, etc) ... attendance just isn't one of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

4 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

There are benefits to an OCS (better game day experience, renuve from advertisting/concessions/parking, etc) ... attendance just isn't one of them.

Couldn't agree more with all that but i think when talking attendance as a benefit, in our case, it's student specific .....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Since 2000 USF has gone from 19 residential buildings on campus to 44, and that doesn't include the boom in apartments surrounding the campus. With an OCS we'll go from struggling to fill the student section to struggling to find space for all the students wanting to go to the game

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

13 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Since 2000 USF has gone from 19 residential buildings on campus to 44, and that doesn't include the boom in apartments surrounding the campus. With an OCS we'll go from struggling to fill the student section to struggling to find space for all the students wanting to go to the game

Which will be a nice problem to have for once. 

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,672
  • Days Won:  108

7 hours ago, Friscobull said:

I will argue that, 2-5 miles in NC vastly different then the 11 mike trek down Fowler, 275.  Either way like Many have stated, we feel like visitors at home, need an OCS but more than anything we need an FBS team, we really don’t have that now from what I can tell. 

I believe some people were saying it took 40 minutes to go that 5 miles and suggested driving around on the interstate and coming in from the other side of town.  I make it from Wesley Chapel to Ray Jay in about 30 minutes. Got to be shorter from campus. And, at least back when my daughter was going to USF, the students seemed to find their way to Ybor.  It's all about the want to.

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,672
  • Days Won:  108

28 minutes ago, bulloni said:

And, again, Yuengling Center gets about 200 of those students for MBB games.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

And that seems to be the dirty little secret that is not talked about. I would add though that football has a much greater social aspect than basketball ever will with tailgating, only a handful of home games being played, games outside, and overall interest. But yes, your point is valid in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

13 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Spot on. We have a culture issue at USF. The general region and students are mostly disconnected from the Athletics. I love our diehards. Beyond winning, we need to figure a strategy for getting more buy in from our students and community.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

13 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

And that seems to be the dirty little secret that is not talked about. I would add though that football has a much greater social aspect than basketball ever will with tailgating, only a handful of home games being played, games outside, and overall interest. But yes, your point is valid in my opinion. 

I think that's just college basketball in general. Looking at a pre-covid season here: 

We played at ECU and they had 4,600 in attendance, we played them in Tampa and had 5,700 in attendance

We played at UCF and they had 4,700 in attendance, we played them in Tampa and had 7,200 in attendance

Seems a lot harder to build up a fanbase in college basketball if you aren't competitive. I don't think that should be a predictive factor in our students being uninterested in football games. I think a big thing is a lot of the games are on weeknights, and people don't want to go by themselves. So not only does a student have to be free, but there friends also have to be free. Much easier to get everyone to go to a football game every couple weeks on a Saturday than a bunch of random basketball games scattered throughout the week.

1 minute ago, bulloni said:

I think that's just college basketball in general. Looking at a pre-covid season here: 

We played at ECU and they had 4,600 in attendance, we played them in Tampa and had 5,700 in attendance

We played at UCF and they had 4,700 in attendance, we played them in Tampa and had 7,200 in attendance

Seems a lot harder to build up a fanbase in college basketball if you aren't competitive. I don't think that should be a predictive factor in our students being uninterested in football games. I think a big thing is a lot of the games are on weeknights, and people don't want to go by themselves. So not only does a student have to be free, but there friends also have to be free. Much easier to get everyone to go to a football game every couple weeks on a Saturday than a bunch of random basketball games scattered throughout the week.

Those are all very good points.